Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 133

Author Topic: Warframe - F2P Sci-fi L4D-like  (Read 245218 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Warframe - F2P Sci-fi L4D-like
« Reply #570 on: April 19, 2015, 11:32:51 pm »

Yeah, Valkyr's a solid frame for just about everything, the main downside is that you have to reach Salad Cinco to get her, which can be difficult if you need to solo everything.

An additional Loki plug: His Decoys are actually superb tools. With boosts to efficiency they'll end up costing something like 5 energy and last for 20+ seconds. They're not the best way to keep enemies off of a pod or excavator (you'll want Vauban for that), but they're infinitely spammable and I've seen them peel entire waves off of the pod in Void Defense missions. If you plant them in a spawn/chokepoint from long range you can keep enemies bottled up there practically indefinitely.

Also, Uncle Vauban is a good pickup if you want that CC action. Just remember that if you're plastering Tesla grenades all over a Valkyr right before she runs into a big crowd of mobs you aren't being Uncle Vauban if they aren't all on her ass. Ditto goes for using Bounce for anything except trolling.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: April 19, 2015, 11:50:23 pm »

I'm still just chilling in Nyx because I've only had a couple pieces of Oberon drop and can't get to/kill the bosses that drop the frames I want. The weapons guide is pretty useful though.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: April 20, 2015, 09:15:06 am »

The easy way to get Oberon is to run that one Interception on Venus that everybody does to grind out T4 keys. Just find a squad and run for 20 minutes or so, you'll usually get at least one part, and I've had up to 4. It doesn't take long to get to the point where pretty much every spawn group has one or two potential drops, and the map is small enough that you're unlikely to miss them.

3. Run Resize Enable

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: April 20, 2015, 12:27:43 pm »

I had a spare Orokin Reactor i just slapped onto my Oberon, and I love it. Now I can attach a maxed Vitality and Steel Fiber plus Rage to make Oberon into a gat-dang super hulk with horns. I already enthused over his recent buffs, but again, its really awesome. He's crept up to become my main, even overtaking my super modded Mag Prime (Greedy Pull!) and my similarly pimped out Rhino Prime.

EDIT: I forgot to support the "avoid Rhino" advice. Rhino is a great secondary to have on hand for Nightmare events and vault runs, but it's also true that you may end up falling on Iron skin as a crutch instead of learning to peel off aggro and take cover. I feel a good beginner warframe for learning these Volt, his kit is flexible, powerful and teaches you to use your abilities (aka GIT BEHIND THIS SHIELD!) to survive. Mag is also good, but you might just start spamming pull, which isn't great until you trick her out with mods.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 12:42:22 pm by JimboM12 »
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: April 20, 2015, 12:59:27 pm »

Most of what I thought when trying Volt was 'freaking hell, why is the guy with the shield so squishy.'  Felt like Nyx was more durable than he was until I got enough space to put both redirection and vitality on. Thats not a thing against him, I'm jsut not very good at volt.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: April 20, 2015, 05:34:12 pm »

Alright, I've basically just started. Finished up the Vox missions, and have now been told, Fly free, young Tenno. Is that what I should be doing, or is there anything specific I should focus on to get a leg up?
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: April 20, 2015, 05:55:59 pm »

Hell, my poor little Mag is still stuck with only the inner four worlds (not even any moons, really) because I just can't ever seem to find groups doing the interceptions or excavations on any Earth, Mercury, Venus or Mars (tho' Corprus present their own set of difficulties.)  Generally kills my desire to keep going.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: April 20, 2015, 06:01:41 pm »

beorn:
Find a clan that has some stuff researched, if you want to try working towards clantech weapons (if any of them are available at your mastery rank). Clans are also good for trading posts, though you probably won't have the credits or the normal plat to trade for a bit.

Go forth and pillage the star chart for loot work through the star chart in some direction, look at the wiki and see if theres another frame you'd like and where it drops. Level up your tutorial-acquired weaponry and Excal/Mag/Volt (whichever you'd picked).

Grab as many mod drops as you can without risking too much damage at once; you'll likely end up with a variety of mods. If possible, you want to look out for these in particular, they aren't that rare but they're plenty helpful: Vitality, Redirection, Serration, Hornet Strike, Pressure Point, and lastly any elemental damage mods you find along the way. Mods that look like they have cracks on them are 'damaged' versions, which work exactly the same, just with a lower cap.

Don't spent plat on revives ever. Get warframe slots, or weapon slots, or like FD suggests, get a pre-potato'd Loki. Theres generally a catalyst (or a reactor) alert for sometime after a devstream, so with patience comes free useful items (...in blueprint form).

Hell, my poor little Mag is still stuck with only the inner four worlds (not even any moons, really) because I just can't ever seem to find groups doing the interceptions or excavations on any Earth, Mercury, Venus or Mars (tho' Corprus present their own set of difficulties.)  Generally kills my desire to keep going.
I certainly wouldn't mind doing an interception there if you needed help (they're rather nice for bows as far as I've played of them), while excavations are a bit more difficult I'd still help if you were on and asked.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: April 20, 2015, 06:08:57 pm »

I probably won't have any actual opportunity to play for a couple weeks, but if I haven't decided to give up by then I'll try to get your attention.  I'm not hugely skilled at stealthy play, but I am a hell of a gunner (with my pathetic Mk-1 Braton...and my Vasto.)
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: April 20, 2015, 06:10:55 pm »

Alright, I've basically just started. Finished up the Vox missions, and have now been told, Fly free, young Tenno. Is that what I should be doing, or is there anything specific I should focus on to get a leg up?

There's a couple ways you can get going:

1. Play each mission in sequence and unlock each sector, whether solo or with a party.

2. Find the best XP mission to run til you max out your first frame and weapon.

3. Play with others and skip around to whatever they're doing.

#1 is my preference. It's how I started the game, way back when. It also, with the current state of the game, makes the most sense. You:
1. Do missions that are level appropriate for the most part.
2. Get access to all missions so you will see all alerts that are currently available. You don't see alerts for missions you haven't run.
3. Try each type of mission until you get the general sense of how the game works.
4. Get access to the Archwing missions (not required but there if you want to do it.)
5. You make a decent amount of resources as a cushion against future crafting needs.
6. You get a shot at the entire bevy of mods the game offers, by fighting all the different enemies in each sector.
7. You make decent money to support fusion and crafting.
8. Get the full benefit of WF's story, such as it is.

#1 has some drawbacks:

1. It takes awhile to get through every mission on every planet.
2. Leveling is vastly slower compared to other methods, even if you're running to finish missions quickly. Milking missions for XP just makes each mission take longer, as well.
3. Some missions are harder than others. That means some missions can be beaten solo, and some honestly cannot.
4. Going along with that, getting help on missions means there's got to be someone else trying to play that mission. And many, many missions in game are essentially ghost towns. It wasn't this way when I started playing, most missions had 1 or 2 people playing them at all times. Now, with the variety of activities in game, there simply aren't people doing many of the missions. So you can hit a roadblock to progressing further.

#2 is perhaps the more practical, if boring, way to play. It ensures that whatever you're doing, you've got capacity in your gear and WF for the mods that will allow you to have a fighting chance in almost any area of the game. This method requires just one thing:

1. Play Apollodorus Survival.
2. I haven't played in a few months, but for the game's life since Survival went in, this is hands down the best paying mission for XP, even when compared against higher level Survival missions against tougher enemies yielding more XP.
3. The reason is the spawn rate. Even at the lowest level of xp possible, the sheer # of enemies that get killed in a 45 minute game outstrips the XP that you can get anywhere else, short of doing game-breaking things.
4. Apollodorus is one of those missions, due to the XP, that always has people playing it. You will never want for teammates when running it.
5. In a 45 minute run of Apollodorus, supported by players with leveled Warframes, you will make 10k experience, easy. That's 1/3rd of your levels for your Warframe, Primary and Secondary, in one run. I think you need to run Apollodorus like that 20 times or so to max out everything out from level 1.
6. Having higher level weapons and a warframe allows you to cram more mods and more higher leveled mods in, which makes you more effective. "Getting leveling out of the way" is how I feel about WF and weapon levels. You gotta have that stuff maxed out before you can really see what's possible. So leveling up in Apollodorus in some ways smooths out the difficulty of the later missions, because as soon as you get cool stuff you can put it in.

Downsides:

1. It'll be tough for you. By 45 minutes, the guys you're figthing are like Level 25 or 30, there's rocket launchers, napalm, hordes of grineer choking doorways...it's a nightmare for a newbie. So my advice would be to stay alive as long as possible until they finish, but do not blow your revives because you will be dying a lot. Even if you die and don't revive, as long as you stay in the level until it ends successfully, you get all the same rewards.
2. It's drudgery. At least for me, because I've played that level hundreds of times now. For me it takes 30 minutes to just get interesting. For you, it will be tough throughout. FWIW, Survival is by far the most entertaining mission type, in my book, even if it ends up boring because you've ground at it so much. But it is by far the easiest way to level up, regardless of what level your WF or weapons are at.
3. The selection of mods and crafting materials will be limited. You'll get crap loads of it, no doubt, but the mods you'll really want probably aren't going to drop there, and while tons of low level crafting mats is nice, a good variety is more desirable. Apollodorus kind of puts you in limbo, where you're leveling up like mad, but you're not getting much else that's useful to you.
4. The money is not that great for the time you're putting in.

#3 Pal around doing other people's stuff. How a lot of players get pulled into game. You end up doing stuff like Void runs, Derelicts, Boss runs, and whatever the cool kids are doing these days. This is unfortunately the least effective way to play IMO. It does have advantages, like:

1. You get to see what the rest of the game looks like a lot earlier than playing solo.
2. You can get some lucky drops early on, which, if you pour all your resources into them, can give you an early starting weapon that is great, or land you a crucially important mod.
3. Sort of like #2, but you can get a lot of blueprints for other WFs quickly this way.
4. The money can be great, as you're getting solid infusions of 2000+ credits with every higher level mission.
5. You can get access to a variety of mods that you wouldn't see until much later with the other two methods.
6. The XP can be pretty good, depending on what you're doing. Not as good as Apollodorus, but better than playing each mission one a time yourself.
7. You'll be surrounded by competent, geared players and generally the only thing you'll need to worry about is not getting left behind.

Downsides:

1. Getting pwn'd. It'll happen when you've got sub level 10 weapons and Warframe with few mods and are trying to hang in a level 30 mission. If you don't like being left behind, murdered by strong opponents and always playing catch up, this method is not for you.
2. No personal progress, really. I can't remember exactly how it works now, but basically you doing a mission you didn't have access to before in a group either unlocks just that mission, or it doesn't even unlock. So you won't be getting access to the vastness of the map and all it offers if, for example, you just run void missions with friends instead of playing the rest of the game.
3. Even though there's no hard and fast limit to how much of the map you actually do, there is unavoidably some of it, and most likely all of it, to be done. WF is the kinda game where you have to plan to do the things that will get you what you want, whether it's mods, materials, blueprints or quests. So, always following someone else's lead can get you lots of things, but necessarily what you want or need at the time.

---

Just remember this about WF: it's all about more Warframes, more weapons, more mods, more gear, more crafting materials. There's no real story to be lived, actual gates to be keyed for or plateaus to reach. The lack of strong objectives and goals can be kind of off putting for some people until they realize that the game is all about going "I wanna play Nekros. With an Ogris. Modded with X, Y and Z. What do I need to do?"
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 06:24:38 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: April 20, 2015, 06:19:49 pm »

45 minutes in appolodorus is almost certainly 30s not 25s, although there might be a bunch of 25ish enemies hidden somewhere, unkilled. Most people seem to either want to bolt for the extraction at 25, or they drag it out until they're getting slammed and then try pushing towards extract instead. Sometimes valkyr is the only one left standing on our side by the time extract room is reached (with a bunch of soon-levelled shooty weapons and a maxed scindo prime) but hey, thats what valkyr is good at.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 06:21:57 pm by Aklyon »
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: April 20, 2015, 06:28:16 pm »

That's when it's fun though! We've held out for over an hour before I think, but at that point there's so many missile launchers that you're getting chained knocked down by the so you can't even stand up.

Typically it's been me and a friend playing Ash and just Bladestorming non-stop after 45 minutes.

I really hate the flat nature of the experience total though. Higher level Survival missions ramp up in intensity much faster, the enemies aren't 1-shot kills for 20 minutes...but the XP simply isn't as good for the time you're able to put in.

Like I said, leveling is an inconvenience to me now. I've leveled so much stuff that trudging back to Apollodorus feels like going to prison.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

frostshotgg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was a ruse
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: April 20, 2015, 10:00:11 pm »

The easy way to get Oberon is to run that one Interception on Venus that everybody does to grind out T4 keys. Just find a squad and run for 20 minutes or so, you'll usually get at least one part, and I've had up to 4. It doesn't take long to get to the point where pretty much every spawn group has one or two potential drops, and the map is small enough that you're unlikely to miss them.
Maybe I'm just blind, but I think venus is the only planet I have unlocked that *doesn't* have an interception mission.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: April 20, 2015, 10:02:15 pm »

An additional note: for the sake of the sanity of everyone you will ever play with... don't play Spy missions without understanding how they work. If you do, the first time or two don't actually go into the terminal mazes until someone has cleared them. Have a good stock of ciphers crafted and in your gear. There are few things as frustrating as running a Spy mission and failing on the last terminal because someone YOLO'd and set off the alarm because they didn't know what they were doing (rather than because they were fast enough to get to the terminal and cipher it regardless).

Maybe I'm just blind, but I think venus is the only planet I have unlocked that *doesn't* have an interception mission.
Yeah, sorry, I was wrong -- it's Mars, the Augustus node. I keep mixing up the two because I don't play them much any more except for good alerts. :I

3. Run Resize Enable

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: April 20, 2015, 10:05:41 pm »

Venus and Mars aren't that hard to tell apart though. One has Gallium and the other one doesn't :p
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 133