Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Ancient Empires RTD [Turn 1: Bloodlust and "Magic"]  (Read 8854 times)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Ancient Empires RTD [Turn 1: Bloodlust and "Magic"]
« on: June 24, 2012, 08:08:47 pm »

Take control of a civilization and lead them to power and glory, mostly by building a city hex by hex, sending armies to victory over enemies, and trying to manage the inevitable conflicts and disunity of your own people.

Of course, most likely you'll collapse under the weight of your own sin, but you can still accomplish a lot before then, right?

Spoiler: Cities and Population (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Units and Combat (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Resources and Terrain (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Empires and Unity (click to show/hide)

Five players at a time, no more. When one collapses completely, another may join.

Spoiler: Signup Sheet (click to show/hide)

Current Players:
Caellath
Nirur
Spinal_Taper
TCM
Tiruin
Descan

Waitlist:
Knight Otu
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 05:49:47 pm by IronyOwl »
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Posting because I am considering the prospect of joining under the glorious banners of Bobs Nobody Civilization.

Also, did you forsake Outcast RtD?

Civ Name: The Forsaken Roots
Civ Symbol: Dark roots spreading across a white shield
Civ Description: A civilization composed of demons. They are highly organized and relatively tidy for daemonic entities, and although they have horns, tails and happen to have both skin and hair with colors different than those of humans, their society is not much different from standard human societies, although they do tend towards cruelty, evildoing or simple mischievous acts towards other civilizations from time to time, even if only for their own amusement. Therefore, they tend to their farms and maintenance systems with dedication to support their people, who are also focused on the arcane arts and on combat-related activities.
Leadership: Their leadership is composed by a council of fifteen demons and a grand leader. The grand leader is usually someone swapped from time to time depending on how things are faring. Every time war is needed, a talented general is put to the test as the grand leader, and in times of peace, diplomats and intelectuals are favored. The power of the grand leader is limited by the council, but they usually give the leader free reins in the field they excel.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 11:44:50 pm by Caellath »
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 02:26:47 pm by Spinal_Taper »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

Posting because I am considering the prospect of joining under the glorious banners of Bobs Nobody Civilization.
Don't make me eat your face. Or get berserk minotaurs to eat your peoples' faces.

Also, did you forsake Outcast RtD?
I was thinking about it, but I suppose not.
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Don't make me eat your face.
You should be very careful with what you write. Your demonstrations of tenderness towards me make you sound very naughty.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Civ Name: The Stones of Iridescence.
Civ Symbol: A sparkling trio of stones.
Civ Description: A tribe of kobolds. They pride themselves on their shamanistic magic/religion (both, preferably), hardworking nature, and independence from other races (Not only not being enslaved, but not needing any help from other races). They are skilled hunters, being small and naturally good at hiding. Their size makes them rather bad at melee battles and gives them trouble fielding cavalry, and so they prefer to fight with ambushes, skirmishing, and attriting their foes. Their preferred weapons are blowguns with poisoned darts.

Leadership: A council of the oldest and wisest, elected by the existing council.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile

In on this, another one of Irony's good RTDs!  :D

. . .

Hold on while I organize my people.

Spoiler: Done (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 10:31:17 am by Tiruin »

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

Civ Name: The Iron House
Civ Symbol: A metal face with stone eyes.
Civ Description: A small, slow growing* group of metal golems. Skilled in metal crafting, and with an instant** mental communication, they make formidable warriors, though their armies are small in number. Without needing to eat, they do not farm, though because growing as a race requires minerals and metals, they do not have as much raw industry to build with as other races.*** Because of their magical and mechanical nature, they are inclined toward research and study of those fields, but are less inclined toward others.
Leadership: Direct democracy with a council of 5 who decide what needs to be voted on.

Hopefully I balanced it well enough. I can work on it if need be. :3
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 10:22:13 pm by Descan »
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

*It's hard to grow as a race when you need to mine, smelt, form, and chant the right words over a prospective body, instead of bedding the nearest wench. Conveniently, once a golem is made, they're easy to repair! So they grow slowly, but aren't likely to die from anything short of total destruction of the head.
**In the same city or hex, communication is instant (cities having an amplifier installed to facilitate this). In the field, communication takes longer.
These two might work as traits that aren't really worried about except in specific, arbitrary circumstances. In other words, you function just like any other civ, except then a crushing defeat might be more serious because you don't have that many people to lose or a victory might be even better because everyone hears about it instantly. And of course, that'd probably have an impact on what you could train/build/invent.

***So no food production necessary, but a malus toward production. We can work this out.
This one's a bit trickier, because there is no raw production, or none that'd be balanced throughout the whole game. Most units and buildings just require a turn of effort, and expanding that would likely be troublesome, since you're not likely to be building something every turn. Penalizing money or something could work.

Also, population growth doesn't happen naturally, it happens by amassing food (which doesn't serve any other purpose, by default). Having your "farms" be mines or similar could work without any innate changes at all, though.

I have to admit though, now I'm kind of wondering about my food system. I might replace it with an income/upkeep model and make population growth static or not worry about raw population at all and just say you get a building each turn. Hrm...

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

I think you should keep population, but gear it toward military capability, with a higher population giving you more units/more units per turn... With some sort of balancing? And have an income/upkeep model for how much food (or in my case, metal) is needed to feed/repair people.
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oooh, pick me!

Reserved.
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

Alright, not fond of making sweeping changes prior to game start, but I've revised how food works.

Each point of population requires 1 point of food per turn. Food may be stockpiled and acquired from other sources, so you can build up a surplus or run a deficit if you need or want to. By default, basic food-producing structures- presumably farms, but possibly also hunting camps or similar- produce 4 food, so 1/4th of your population needs to be devoted to feeding yourself unless you work out something better (which shouldn't be too hard).

EDIT: And you get one population/new building per turn. That might be relevant information.

I'm considering population being involved in max military capacity, but I'm not sure of that yet. If so, it'll probably be 1 unit per 4 pop. If I did go that way, I'm not sure if they'd still require upkeep otherwise.

In related news, our current lineup is:

-Spinal_Taper
-Nirur's Kobolds
-Tiruin
-Descan's Golems
-TCM
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 11:33:45 pm by IronyOwl »

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

I can work with that. :3

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
Re: Ancient Empires RTD [Arbitrary city/empire-building game; full]
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2012, 09:04:24 am »

How do I keep missing these signups?  >:(
I can haz waitlist? :-[

« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 10:01:25 am by Knight Otu »
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ancient Empires RTD [Arbitrary city/empire-building game; full]
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2012, 09:09:26 am »

...What is up with that list?
>Yes?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4