Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 57

Author Topic: You Are A Kai Queen / You Are A Kai Commander, Day 41  (Read 85709 times)

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You Are A Kai Queen, Day 17
« Reply #615 on: July 15, 2012, 05:09:57 am »

Let's dig some tunnels to outlying human outposts.
I honestly thought this was going to be about veterinarians.
Ermey: 26/4/13

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: July 15, 2012, 05:10:51 am »

Priority:
1st. We should develop gravity shielding to allow stable habitation at greater depths.
2nd. We need to develop our war princess.
3rd. We should commune with them...
4th. We should make a suitable mate for the princess to produce the best combatants.
1. Gravitic shielding is silly and in fact, impossible. Besides,it will not at all be stealthy. The gravitic changes, small as they are, will upset sattelite orbits. Not enough to throw them out of orbit, but enough to paint a giant shoot here mark on our base.

If we can do it, fair enough, but I doubt it will be worthwhile.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: July 15, 2012, 08:49:57 am »

My suggestion

Queen : Continue to make the rocket and communicate with the princess

Tech drone: Make AEPS for our human Human Loyalists. Then we may put them to useful work. I hate to waste workforce

Nurse: Experiment with soldier larvaes, try to make them to use less oxygen, be more poison resistant, improve regeneration etc. If few will die in the experiments it's an acceptable loss. Also make them all fertile.

Diggers + 16 drones with laser cutters +  10 drones for hauling: Make exploratory mines looking for new deposits of anything useful. Gold, Titanium, Tungsten, Uranium and so on

Other drones: misc jobs

War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: July 15, 2012, 03:03:26 pm »

We can do it, it's just stupidly energy-intensive, inefficient, and blows "stealth" way out of the water.

There is a rich vein of Niobium near the Ruined Substation.

What sort of labor would you have them do?

And the Nurse can't make them all fertile, it takes Royal Jelly and We are currently giving the War Princess priority. The oxygen and the rest can certainly be tried.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: July 15, 2012, 03:29:04 pm »

Let's give the humans our video gmae to play with. Import all data from what we know about the defense network fo the colony, and have them defend it against a variety of attack, all of which would be su^risingly similair to our forces. (Note, similiar in combat mechanics, not appearance). Then we can estimate how the humans will react. Know thy enemy

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: July 15, 2012, 03:34:47 pm »

Niobium? Goes to wikipedia...

Although alloys contain only a maximum of 0.1%, that small percentage of niobium improves the strength of the steel. The temperature stability of niobium-containing superalloys is important for its use in jet and rocket engines. Niobium is used in various superconducting materials.

+

Niobium becomes a superconductor at cryogenic temperatures. At atmospheric pressure, it has the highest critical temperature of the elemental superconductors: 9.2 K.

We need  it.

_________ 

As for labor for the humans we may allow them to create small hive nearby (underground and without any ways to surface expect through our territory. We can't risk runaway. Later, after we conquer mars, we may let them build hives on surface), send some forces to guard them and then just "tax" their hive taking whatever they manage to produce

But the plan below is good, too
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: July 15, 2012, 07:57:45 pm »

How long would it take to dig to the niobium vein? It sounds like We'd need that metal.
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: July 16, 2012, 01:12:07 pm »

expand underground, but stay at acceptable depth, and far from humans.

As far as I like the idea of virtual attacks against humans, they'll know us too. When we'll attack, there WILL be some dudes to recognize the attack patterns, link it to the game and: 1) blow cover, 2)foresee our strategy.

No, we need to oppose gamers to a wide range of strategies.

Also, I support the soldier larva training program. But no fertility YET. wait for maturity and see which are suitable. Plus, they'll probably end mating with war princess (queen at the time)
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: July 16, 2012, 02:22:17 pm »

As far as I like the idea of virtual attacks against humans, they'll know us too. When we'll attack, there WILL be some dudes to recognize the attack patterns, link it to the game and: 1) blow cover, 2)foresee our strategy.
I am quite sure that ebbor meant our humans

But no fertility YET. wait for maturity and see which are suitable. Plus, they'll probably end mating with war princess (queen at the time)
If i remember correctly it's much easier and cheaper to make larvae  fertile, but looks like we have no enough Jelly, anyway...

What I want from the war princess is stupid but durable soldiers that can fight without technology. Basically many predators. That's why I want some suitable mates, not someone from the T line
While main queen will give birth to more intelligent combatants

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
Re: You Are A Kai Queen, Midnight 17
« Reply #624 on: July 17, 2012, 07:12:51 pm »

You continue to work on the rocket - computer systems, this time. There's honestly not much of a point making more steel when a few days of mining will leave plenty to extract and enough to build the parts We need. In the meantime, however, you have the Tech Drone make a few Human-Sized AEPS while a token force of Soldiers and many Drones load into the APC's. A few are completed in time for three Humans to ride along, so You borrow a Human Soldier and two Human Drones from Stampy's hive and send them along, as well as ordering Mechanical Light Scouts to fly ahead and survey.

You instruct the Tech Drone to oversee production of suits for the Humans while playing war games. Stampy takes control of the Human side, and the two begin to play. The Nurse begins to limit the oxygen supply to the larvae and changes the elemental balance of the various substances and fluids it releases to be more Nurse-like. You sense the larvae are in some discomfort, but signs are very positive towards their survival. You highly doubt the changes will be very effective, but if a Soldier can survive off less food and die a little more slowly, it is an improvement.

You check in on the game after some time, and notice that the Humans make use of a surprisingly large amount of Commanders and Improved Soldiers to direct the Soldiers around. You also sense that while they are independent, they co-ordinate very well. Their behavior approaches the point of resembling what We could decipher of human Soldier doctrine. Also, Humans seem to make a virtue of cowardice - individual soldiers are incredibly fond of using every last inch of cover they possibly can. Despite this, there are more than a few Humans who deliberately sacrifice themselves in order to provide a temporary advantage to their sub-Hive. Lastly, they seem to have a considerable amount of affection towards their wounded. Given that Humans appear to have many nerves for the specific purpose of detecting injuries and causing chemical releases, this does not surprise You. Simple co-operative behavior.

It would appear that Humans lack a coherent Hivemind. It is more of a surprise that they work as well together as they do. You briefly consider the process of converting Humans into Kai, and come up with a very rough outline as to how it could be possible. After all, if the eventual creation of specialized immobile drones of Us for computer interface and tiny mind-control is plausible in a large handful of generations with luck and/or a Body Queen, something might be possible with judicious use of Royal Jelly and specialized drones...

You push the thought aside for now, and resume construction of computer parts while You check in on the Digging Drone. With the assistance of the Humans to locate the Niobium, extraction is proceeding well, and should reach maximum storage capacity for the APC's in a single day.

It is a little past midnight.

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: July 17, 2012, 07:20:47 pm »

What I want from the war princess is stupid but durable soldiers that can fight without technology. Basically many predators. That's why I want some suitable mates, not someone from the T line
While main queen will give birth to more intelligent combatants

A Drone can easily kill an unarmored human with its bite alone, and could otherwise kill a human in a short period of time. Your Soldiers through unarmored humans would be like a scythe through wheat. Your Soldier offspring are more "light infantry", while the War Queen's offspring will be "heavy infantry".

This should offer some perspective, hopefully.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: July 18, 2012, 04:50:57 am »

To integrate humans we need to learn about their reproduction, so let's order Stampy to start reproduction, or, if he can't, tell us what is needed. Is Nurse smart enough to communicate with Stampy? If it is, order it to get all possible information about human reproduction. (I think we should move in a techno direction here, build incubators and make experiments with ova. .)

Miners should return home before morning. we don't want to get them detected, we  can get more Niobium later

Tech drone - More AEPS, look for ways to upgrade 10 Human-Sized Mid-Caliber Assault Projectile Weaponry with our technology. and send 59 Human-Sized Recoil-less Low-Caliber Handheld Projectile Weaponry to the scraper, it's useless for us

Queen - finish that rocket\spend time with princess\communicate with Stampy

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: July 18, 2012, 02:23:56 pm »

So far, only You can talk to Stampy. The Nurse probably could do it, and the Tech Drone is starting to learn Human communication outside of mindspeech with the Human Tech Drone and Stampy, but given the whole insanity-and-death-inducing qualities of mental communication, it is probably safest for You to be the only one doing mindspeech.

The current ETA for a full load, which is rocket-plus-extra, will return the convoy home sometime before tomorrow night. If it were to just be "exactly enough for rocket plus a healthy margin of error" they'll return sometime after mid-day.

A quick scan of the Human network reveals that a fly-by has been done several days ago, and that rebuilding will happen sometime in the next week. No data at all is being received from the Substation. Also, the AI/Virus is doing a wonderful job of infecting the Human networks - it is taking up residence in most of the closest human network clusters, and gotten past a good deal of military security as well. If the cyberattack were to be launched at this exact moment, quite a few cities would be heavily damaged. There's not yet luck on "missile launch codes" or "satellite control", but power, life support, computer networks, lots of doors, elevators, public announcements, fabricators...

You are reasonably certain that you can inject some fake orders and screw up logistics without getting detected.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: July 18, 2012, 02:33:41 pm »

> fabricators? does that mean you could quickly get a mechanical army deployed from everywhere behind enemy lines?
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: July 18, 2012, 02:41:35 pm »

That is indeed a possible course of action, but it's almost guaranteed to get noticed very quickly before many kill-bots could be made.

There's always manual shutdown, and sticking large bits of metal into moving parts to make them stop moving.
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 57