Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Population cap change?!  (Read 3615 times)

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Population cap change?!
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2012, 06:45:05 pm »

The baby cap takes the lower of the two values "number of children" or "percentage of the (adult?) population".

I've heard reports that even when the liaison arrives leaves and arrives again the population cap is ignored and further migrant waves arrive.  This may be accounted for by travel time from the Mountainhomes (or where ever they are coming from), but I don't think anyone has gotten solid info on it yet.

You might be referring to situations where a fort has a population of 3 or less adults.  In that case population_cap is ignored by the liaison.
No, I'm referring to the fact the pop cap was set at 50, the population was 63 (counting the 8 children, so 55 adults), the liaison came, left, and came again, and i was still getting migrant waves of half a dozen to a dozen dwarves at a time.  I got wiped by a combined goblin/elven ambush (elves lured be out with their cosplay armor and weapons, and the goblins took the fort before I realized it was a trick; I really should have left more troops at the gate) before I could find out for sure if I'd stop getting migrants or not, however.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2012, 07:03:57 am »

I usually set my baby cap at 50 babies, but only 10% of the adults.  My initial forts now have a pop-cap of 30 dwarves, which gives you just enough for the first 2-3 years without suddenly drowning in 200 dwarves and drawing large sieges.

The Lazy Newb Pack launcher makes it so easy to play with the pop-cap settings that I've started fiddling with them more.  (Digging into an INI file is slower, so I tended to not bother.)

Finn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2012, 09:34:10 am »

The baby cap takes the lower of the two values "number of children" or "percentage of the (adult?) population".

I've heard reports that even when the liaison arrives leaves and arrives again the population cap is ignored and further migrant waves arrive.  This may be accounted for by travel time from the Mountainhomes (or where ever they are coming from), but I don't think anyone has gotten solid info on it yet.

You might be referring to situations where a fort has a population of 3 or less adults.  In that case population_cap is ignored by the liaison.
No, I'm referring to the fact the pop cap was set at 50, the population was 63 (counting the 8 children, so 55 adults), the liaison came, left, and came again, and i was still getting migrant waves of half a dozen to a dozen dwarves at a time.  I got wiped by a combined goblin/elven ambush (elves lured be out with their cosplay armor and weapons, and the goblins took the fort before I realized it was a trick; I really should have left more troops at the gate) before I could find out for sure if I'd stop getting migrants or not, however.

Odd, I've never seen that type of migrant behavior.  I supppose it could be explained by being a very long distance from the mountainhome but that seems unlikely.  Or perhaps the first liaison was killed before leaving the map, that would do it too, I think.  Or you found a bug. 

Were you running any mods?  Do you have a save?
I thought 'complained about the draft lately' meant they didn't have a door to their room.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2012, 06:00:46 pm »

No mods, but using the Phoebus set. This was in 0.31.25, so I don't have the save any more.  None of the liaisons died on my map (hadn't seen any greenskins yet and I wasn't lucky enough to have a dwarf civ at war with elves for that world).  I was embarked a long way from the parent civ, however, since I don't normally give a !!rat!! where they are located, just whether the embark site has what I'm looking for. ;)

I will hopefully be able to test this with my current fortress (should get the first migrant wave shortly), which has a 20 dwarf pop cap and is 0.34.11.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"
Pages: 1 [2]