Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Population cap change?!  (Read 3616 times)

gooberboy9999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Population cap change?!
« on: June 20, 2012, 02:40:15 pm »

Playing 34.0.9, now standing at 203 dwarves.  And as of writing this, I just got ANOTHER migrant wave, so who knows what I'll be at in a few minutes.

I remember it being set to 200, did that change?  I might have to start sacrificing dwarves to armok if this keeps up.  My work pc can't handle so many tiny alcoholics.

Rbrx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Population cap change?!
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 03:41:49 pm »

Unfortunately, population cap is only set into effect once your outpost liaison leaves your fort with you having enough dwarfs.

Presumably this is because he goes home and tells everyone your fort is full.

gooberboy9999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 03:55:54 pm »

Ah.  I did not know that.

I assume he's also in charge of passing out contraception once he visits and affirms the population cap has been reached?

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 04:06:00 pm »

pop cap doesn't effect births in your fort. For that you want the BABY_CHILD_CAP. It handles contraception.

By default it's set to 100 babies, or 1000% of the number of adults in your fort. Changing it is advisable, since the default is "essentially meaningless".
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2012, 04:10:28 pm »

By which he means, "You will DROWN IN TEH BABIEZ!". Or so it seemed to me when I first started playing.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

INSANEcyborg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2012, 04:57:23 pm »

How many adults do you have?  I don't think children count against the pop cap either, so you'll still get migrants with 199 adults and X kids.

codyorr

• Bay Watcher
  • Alcohol is how I make DF more !!FUN!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2012, 05:15:32 pm »

I thought the Lazy Newb Pack set the default limit of dwarfs to whatever immegrated. Children are exculed in that.
A rotting horse corpse since 201. !!DRUNK FORTRESS!!

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2012, 10:29:42 pm »

The baby cap takes the lower of the two values "number of children" or "percentage of the (adult?) population".

I've heard reports that even when the liaison arrives leaves and arrives again the population cap is ignored and further migrant waves arrive.  This may be accounted for by travel time from the Mountainhomes (or where ever they are coming from), but I don't think anyone has gotten solid info on it yet.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2012, 05:01:47 am »

Unfortunately, population cap is only set into effect once your outpost liaison leaves your fort with you having enough dwarfs.

Out of curiosity, what happens when the monarch has arrived and you don't get an outpost liaison any more?
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

gooberboy9999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2012, 11:58:07 am »

So clearly I'm going to have to solve my baby problem somehow.  Suggestions?

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2012, 12:03:40 pm »

Bridges.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Finn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2012, 12:16:30 pm »

The baby cap takes the lower of the two values "number of children" or "percentage of the (adult?) population".

I've heard reports that even when the liaison arrives leaves and arrives again the population cap is ignored and further migrant waves arrive.  This may be accounted for by travel time from the Mountainhomes (or where ever they are coming from), but I don't think anyone has gotten solid info on it yet.

You might be referring to situations where a fort has a population of 3 or less adults.  In that case population_cap is ignored by the liaison.
I thought 'complained about the draft lately' meant they didn't have a door to their room.

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2012, 12:38:47 pm »

Out of curiosity, what happens when the monarch has arrived and you don't get an outpost liaison any more?

Your fort becomes the mountainhome, then, doesn't it? Means no more migrants.
Feeling down? Click Here!

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2012, 03:07:23 pm »

So clearly I'm going to have to solve my baby problem somehow.  Suggestions?

Produce sufficient food, booze & clothes and just ignore the buggers until they're old enough to do useful work?

That's what I usually do. They're only a problem if you think they are a problem.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2012, 05:45:07 pm »

I started drowning in the little rats until a combination of contraception and sieges brought the number to a acceptable level.
My pc can't handle so many tiny alcoholics.
This.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now
Pages: [1] 2