Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: My fort has.... Insomnia  (Read 5080 times)

sirinon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
My fort has.... Insomnia
« on: June 19, 2012, 08:08:01 am »

Hey all, So my latest fort has been going well however for some unknown reason ........ Everybody had been given insomnia !!!

Out of 150 Dorfs I counted maybe 10 that DONT have insomnia the rest are all unable to sleep and starting to get slower, I havent fought any FB's yet and am in a mirthful Zone,  I havent had any necro's attack my fort yet however I did have one werewolf ?

1. How could this have happened ?
2. is there a cure ?
3. is my fort going to die of sleepiness ?

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My fort has.... Insomnia
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 08:16:18 am »

1: A vampire fell in the water source and now everybody is infected.
2:No, there is not cure.
3:Now at all, except the sleeping dwarfs . Those will die soon if you don't do something.
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 08:31:34 am »

Yeah, if everybody is a vampire or a werewolf, you'll want to get the uninfected dwarves away from the others as soon as possible.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 08:33:17 am »

But, look at the bright side.  You have 140 Vampire dwarves that don't need food, booze or sleep, are immortal, don't have children and are PERFECT for now power leveling trade skills or military conscription without having to worry about baby sheilds!

Sabreur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 08:33:46 am »

Yeah, if everybody is a vampire or a werewolf, you'll want to get the uninfected dwarves away from the others as soon as possible.

Can I veto this suggestion and request that you record video of the next full moon instead?

sirinon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2012, 08:37:27 am »

OH GOD , your saying its possible the werewolf  ( Which was slain in my dining hall )  OR a rogue vampire has turned 90% Of my fortress ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

Edit : After a seige I now only have about 4 Normal  dwarves left.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 08:40:45 am by sirinon »

sirinon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2012, 08:58:21 am »

Ok so now to begin my new Project :

To save the uninfected in my fort I figure I will need to build a Separate fort with a still, farm and able to be self sufficient until my Were-beast Urist's shift and them move them back when it's all over and rebuild, Question will the were-beast's kill each other or will I have to repeat the cycle  ad-infinitum ?

The reason I want to save this fort so badly is because It is my first fort with a breeding pair of dragon's and a Giant Snow-leopard ranch, I am very attached to my dragons.

Sound like a plan ??
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 09:00:25 am by sirinon »

L3TUC3

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:common green]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2012, 09:09:48 am »

My word, this is deliciously !!FUN!!. I will be watching this thread with great interest.

It's almost a Dwarven version of Underworld.

sirinon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2012, 09:14:19 am »

Too frustrated atm , Will update with pic's and Progress tomorrow.

Sigh, Losing is fun :(

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2012, 09:21:02 am »

Meh, you'll probs still get migrants.
Just send the normal dwarves outside and have them wall the werecreatures in. make the second fort as self-sufficient as possible until the next migrant wave. (if they stopped coming, kill some werecreatures.) If a goblin siege comes, block enterance to the new fort and burrow all the werecreatures. near the gate of the old fort. when they transform, unleash them. (unless they are already trained for the military)

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2012, 09:29:14 am »

If your dwarves are getting increasingly Drowsy, they are not werecreatures or vampires - there's just something strange that's preventing them from going to sleep. It would have to be especially strange, too, since normally the only thing that will stop a dwarf from just sleeping on the floor is having a trap immediately beneath them.

If a creature is "Very Drowsy" for long enough (I think it's 6 months since the last time it slept), it will go Insane.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2012, 09:52:28 am »

Are you getting "cancels sleep" messages?  If so, what is the reason given?
Have you edited the Dwarven raw file in any way?
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

sirinon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2012, 09:58:38 am »

No I am getting in a combat report :

" The Dwarven Child/ Bewer/ Cheesmaker Does not feel tired anymore, nor really awake, He is affected with insomnia and cant sleep!"

its about 80% of my fort, In their wound stats they all gave "Dizzy"

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2012, 10:27:47 am »

Are you playing masterwork mod, by chance?
If so, you need a ward enchanted to repel insomnia. Wards can be bought from caravans(They are creatures)
Also, please say if you're using any mods next time.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2012, 12:21:16 pm »

The problem with NOT telling us you are using a mod is twofold: one, you waste our time. People on the forum try to help you, thinking of all the things in vanilla DF that could be causing your problem, but you aren't playing vanilla DF. Two, obviously you aren't going to get the right answer to your question. This had nothing to do with vampires or werewolves, yet you acted as though it did, because you got bad advice, because you failed to mention that you are playing a mod that make MASSIVE changes to the basic game.

It's always the guys playing Masterwork. Always. They have some weird problem, it's guaranteed to be because they do not understand the mod they are using. Should be the first thing we ask: "Are you using Masterwork? Have you read the manual? The README? Anything?"
Pages: [1] 2