Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: What do you do with all your stone?  (Read 4668 times)

Uronym

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What do you do with all your stone?
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2012, 06:24:03 am »

I never have enough stone... I dig conservatively and my fortresses often are not that big, so, especially with the new mining drop rate, I just barely have enough to make the furniture and stuff I want! I use stone for doors and furniture and workshops and bridges and statues and mechanisms, and I find that I don't really have a lot left over, especially if I wanna build some walls or something. I like to use wood for any crafts or barrels, simply because wood is more renewable than stone.

I could always just dig more, but I don't like to mess up the rock that my fortress may be in some day.

For constructions, though, you can turn the stone into blocks and you'll have a lot more I guess. But I never do that because you can't use blocks for anything but construction; it would be nice if you could make other stuff with it.
What I think we're saying is we need dwarves to riot and break things more often.

codyorr

• Bay Watcher
  • Alcohol is how I make DF more !!FUN!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2012, 07:49:37 am »

I cheat!
A rotting horse corpse since 201. !!DRUNK FORTRESS!!

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep calm and OH GOD CAPYBARAS
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2012, 12:26:40 pm »

I never have enough stone either... It all goes towards stuff my fort needs, coffins, mechanisms, more coffins, doors, the usual.
I don't care about your indigestion-- How are you is a greeting, not a question.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
The Chronicles of HammerBlaze
My website - Free games

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2012, 12:52:21 pm »

Every dwarf gets a fully furnished bedroom (except married couples, who are happy to share).  Nothing I put outside gets left open to the sky, it's all roofed over.  I have defensive walls including one big wall that encircles everything, and because I like to have some elbow room, that wall is long.  Nearly every non-metallic thing that can be stone is stone, because wood is for elves, beds, and coal.  And of course, there's paying for trade in stone crafts, and I like placing big orders... bring me all the metal our civilization owns, including the anvils.

This.

ROCK BLOCKS EVERYWHERE.

I find myself actually having more rock blocks than stone boulders. And one of the reasons why I still play with .7 is how the drop rate / block yield would screw with my fort if changed.

jcnorris00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2012, 01:23:06 pm »

Once upon a time I built everything out of stone.  Masterwork stone furniture, stone pots, workshops and constructions made from stone blocks, the whole works.  But with the exception of stone blocks, I have trouble getting enough stone to kit out my bedrooms and dining rooms with masterwork stone furniture, not to mention it's difficult to get a mason to legendary before running out of stone.

Now all of my furnishing and construction needs are met with green glass.  Masterwork green glass furniture, green glass pots, workshops and constructions made from green glass blocks, the whole works.  Not only does this consolidate my mason/stonecrafter jobs into a single profession, it provides deadly masterwork green glass large, serrated disks, perfect for relieving goblin invaders of their bothersome extremities.  Non-economic stone is reserved strictly for mechanisms.
My contribution to dwarven science: the dwarven kiddie pool

oven_baked

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2012, 01:44:53 pm »

BUILD ALL THE THINGS!
Turn into stone blocks and build shit. My most recent point-less non-megaproject was to build a railway from my entrance to other end of the embark to carry wood. (why? Charcoal, beds, repeating spike traps to kill elves...)

I wish furniture could be made out of blocks, at the moment i often have to mine for stone! You can build a wall out of blocks but not a chair!
We just need to get Toady to embed a Lisp interpreter into DF.  Learning lambda calculus in order to play the game wouldn't make DF's learning curve much steeper.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2012, 02:01:07 pm »

Strangely enough, if you make wooden blocks, you'll only get one per log, but stone will give you four per stone. I find this rather odd.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2012, 02:02:59 pm »

Strangely enough, if you make wooden blocks, you'll only get one per log, but stone will give you four per stone. I find this rather odd.

You always get a log when you cut down a tree.  You don't always get a boulder when you mine out a tile of rock.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2012, 02:31:21 pm »

Now all of my furnishing and construction needs are met with green glass.  Masterwork green glass furniture, green glass pots, workshops and constructions made from green glass blocks, the whole works.  Not only does this consolidate my mason/stonecrafter jobs into a single profession, it provides deadly masterwork green glass large, serrated disks, perfect for relieving goblin invaders of their bothersome extremities.  Non-economic stone is reserved strictly for mechanisms.
This. One thousand times THIS. Green glass can replace about 4~6 professions. Though I don't think glass pots are viable - jugs yes but not pots.

Anyway, with stone only used for blocks and pots, the remainder get turned into cabochons to train up my jewelers.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2012, 02:31:31 pm »

You always get a log when you cut down a tree.  You don't always get a boulder when you mine out a tile of rock.

Yeah but even when I use a one cavern world I get like 50+ levels worth of stone, I mean, this whole thread is about having too much stone, I don't see how we could say that stones produce more blocks cause they are harder to get.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2012, 03:00:46 pm »

This thread is about having too much stone, when excluding two of the largest stone consumers possible, which many players are quite fond of including.

Even a really small surface courtyard like this one eats well over 1000 stone blocks when you put on the roof, the access stair, and the protective shell around that.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
An above-ground structure of significant size can easily require a lot of strip mining even with 1 boulder converting to 4 blocks.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 03:06:12 pm by weenog »
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2012, 03:16:56 pm »

Not to mention how much stone you get is controlled by the RNG.

ignatzami

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2012, 03:33:24 pm »

Yeah but even when I use a one cavern world I get like 50+ levels worth of stone, I mean, this whole thread is about having too much stone, I don't see how we could say that stones produce more blocks cause they are harder to get.

I believe you can modify this reaction in the raws. I know you can for clay boulders into blocks. However, the boulder into stone block is hard-coded internally.
DF without DT isn't DF, it's a keyboard-based exercise in masochism.

Anathema

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2012, 03:36:01 pm »

Also, I've found that when things go bad, they tend to go very, very bad, so I like to have enough coffins ready that if my whole population and the next two migrant waves get wiped out completely, I don't need to make any more right away... I keep slabs in reserve too.  It's one less thing to worry about when I've already got the main calamity plus the consequent tantrum spiral on my hands.

I truly admire your level of preparation and intend to emulate it in future forts, but still I feel I have to point this out .. if indeed your whole population and next two migrant waves get wiped out completely, you won't need to worry about making coffins either way :P

Unless of course you do something cheaty (imo), like having a vampire walled away somewhere to ensure the fort can never crumble to its end.
The good news is that ghosts die of old age.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2012, 03:44:49 pm »

It's more about still having open coffins when it's all over and the dust settles, even after accounting for problems like every woman in the fortress popping out a kid in unholy unison (scarier than any goddamn titan, I assure you).
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 03:49:27 pm by weenog »

Pages: 1 [2] 3