Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: What do you do with all your stone?  (Read 4664 times)

Rage Machine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What do you do with all your stone?
« on: June 18, 2012, 11:58:21 pm »

aside from mega projects or just building above ground this game always leaves you with hundreds if not thousands of stone boulders. Once upon a time I would just quantum stockpile them though recently I have come into a more productive use of them. mugs, thousands and thousands of mugs. why mugs? i don't really know myself it just seems to make the most sense to me.

what do you guys do with all your stone?

ps, i cant find mugs in the 'move to depot' list except under 'all' is that a bug or am I doing it wrong?

mordrax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What do you do with all your stone?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 12:00:37 am »

upgrade to 0.34.11 massive reduction in stone drops

then i build a 1x1 dump in my central shaft and assign rooms of stone to be dumped

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 12:25:37 am »

Build a minecart-powered quantum stone piler so I can quantum pile stone without having to "dump" or "unforbid" it.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 12:43:22 am »

Build a crapton of furniture a stone crafts.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 12:54:39 am »

Since I had a bunch of stonecrafters I set them to make lots and lots of crafts.
It's quite lucrative, really. I encrust those marked for the next trade with cheap gems just to multiply the price.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2012, 12:59:54 am »

Every dwarf gets a fully furnished bedroom (except married couples, who are happy to share).  Nothing I put outside gets left open to the sky, it's all roofed over.  I have defensive walls including one big wall that encircles everything, and because I like to have some elbow room, that wall is long.  Nearly every non-metallic thing that can be stone is stone, because wood is for elves, beds, and coal.  And of course, there's paying for trade in stone crafts, and I like placing big orders... bring me all the metal our civilization owns, including the anvils.

Also, I've found that when things go bad, they tend to go very, very bad, so I like to have enough coffins ready that if my whole population and the next two migrant waves get wiped out completely, I don't need to make any more right away... I keep slabs in reserve too.  It's one less thing to worry about when I've already got the main calamity plus the consequent tantrum spiral on my hands.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 01:10:56 am by weenog »
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Darnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2012, 02:05:58 am »

What I do is get around 4-5 epic masons; create as much furniture as you can; Armor Stands Weapon racks Cabinets Chests Statues Chairs Tables etc  and atom-smash anything that's not masterwork, make 4x4 rooms with all of the stuff you made and voila;No more tantrum spirals.
Also; recently found out that pressing X while choosing furniture lets you choose quality.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2012, 02:43:15 am »

Why atom smash it when you can trade it to the caravan for useful stuff? Or at least metals stuff to be melted. ;)
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2012, 03:14:43 am »

34.11: All my stone? Forbid-store some for moody dwarves.

Urist McStonecrafter cancels Make Stone Pot: needs non-economic hard rock.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Monk321654

• Bay Watcher
  • [COMPUTER_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2012, 03:24:59 am »

As much as it discomforts me to use certain exploits, I usually quantum stockpile my stone...
This is a side-effect of dwarven animal training (hit animal with hammer until it forgets that it hates you, then lovingly cuddle it).

I'm not your average Bay12er. I care about my drunken midgets.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2012, 03:44:05 am »

I just move the mason shop to the stone, problem solved.

saurio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2012, 04:00:04 am »

I generally ignore it. I know, not very exciting, but lazily practical.

terko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2012, 04:01:39 am »

I've got two legendary masons doing all the important stuff, like statues, weapon racks, doors, tables, thrones and so on, and like 10 others that make blocks and nothing else than blocks. In each z-level is another block stockpile holding only one kind of blocks. Since the changes I did out the whole z-level in the size I need it and then I build walls out of the blocks to for the structure I need.

Quite easy and my idlers got something to do.

You won't believe how fast you can wall off the surface from invaders when 30 masons are working all at once. Flooring takes a bit longer though, but it can be finished in the 2nd half of the third year, having a fine and controlled surface where nothing can break in, except you let it in.

And, for some reason, you can floor rivers up to the map edge, making it impossible for amphibious units to dive into your fort. Another security issue sometimes, especially when the pets coming with a siege are cave crocodiles. Nasty beasts!
... what is a drop of rain, compared to the storm? ... what is a thought, compared to the mind? ... our unity is full of wonder which your tiny individualism cannot even conceive ... I've heard it all before ... you're saying nothing new ... I thought I saw a rainbow ... but I guess it wasn't true ... you cannot make me listen ... I cannot make you hear ... you find your way to heaven ... I'll meet you when you're there ...

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2012, 04:15:02 am »

aside from mega projects or just building above ground this game always leaves you with hundreds if not thousands of stone boulders. Once upon a time I would just quantum stockpile them though recently I have come into a more productive use of them. mugs, thousands and thousands of mugs. why mugs? i don't really know myself it just seems to make the most sense to me.

what do you guys do with all your stone?

ps, i cant find mugs in the 'move to depot' list except under 'all' is that a bug or am I doing it wrong?
Just a note here, but if you are making mugs you realize you end up with 3x as many of them as if you made crafts right? So it's better to make normal crafts or instruments if you are having problems with too much stone. Also for the purposes of trading mugs I usually just type in "mug" on the move to depot list, or store them in bins and then type "finished" to find the bins.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2012, 05:00:15 am »

Make them into blocks for minecart-shotgun ammo, with the nice side effects of legendary masons and lots of construction material.
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.
Pages: [1] 2 3