Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Gardening... Stuff you grow for food thread.  (Read 5765 times)

Tabbyman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Gardening... Stuff you grow for food thread.
« on: June 17, 2012, 12:42:05 pm »

I can't be the only person who dreams to have rows of strawberry plants. (And a dream to brew strawberry wine for that matter)

I've got a couple strawberry plants in a barrel but the amount that I get is sort of limited.

I've also got a squash plant growing. Wanting to eventually do a whole garden, but I'm just getting my feet wet (or my thumbs green).

Some day if I settle down on my own property I want raspberries, blackberries, peaches, apples... Lots of fruit.

And nuts too. Hazelnut, walnut, almond...

I want to grow hops, valerian, skullcap, and catnip, all used as herbal sleep aids. Either I'll cap a powdered mixture or I'll smoke it before bed... Or smoke it with other uhh herbs.

Keen on squash, pumpkin, cucumber, peas, carrots, beans, maybe yams and potatoes too.

I've started growing gourmet mushrooms too, but growing fungus is a totally different kind of gardening. :P I've got shiitake growing so far, and in my fridge I'm storing mycelium syringes for oyster mushrooms, lion's mane, shaggy mane, and garden giant (aka wine cap). From what I've heard, shiitakes, oyster mushrooms, and lion's mane all have decent health benefits. I'll basically be growing medicinal food (and a potential money source too).

Who else on here has a garden or dreams of a garden?
Urist McHallucinate cancels operate pump: flying through the stars in the stomach of a giant fish.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
Re: Gardening... Stuff you grow for food thread.
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 12:46:02 pm »

Our garden has strawberries, tomatoes, potatoes, maybe some other stuff, and weed. Tons and tons of weed.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2012, 12:54:36 pm »

My parents have a little garden. All we've harvested so far has been some herbs though.

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2012, 02:48:19 pm »

Not much last year (drought), but what I've got this year:

Okra (I even like it raw), Swiss Chard, 4 kinds of pears, 3 peach trees, watermelon, peas, corn, garlic, coriander (grows anywhere), asparagus (lots), half dozen squash plants, and most importantly: a squash - pumpkin hybrid that occurred naturally a few years ago (on its 3rd generation now, great stuff).

Planted but didn't come up: tomatoes, peppers, chamomile, cat-nip.

Have planted before: Green beans, lettuce (always bitter here, chard does much better and can easily be de-bittered with vinegar), zucchini (forgot to plant it this year), eggplant (no one liked it), strawberries, onions (forgot to plant this year), various types of peas, other types of watermelons, canteloupe (I hate it, others like it), cucumber, probably a few other things I'm forgetting.

Also, had wild blackberries here few years back: 5 times better than anything store bought.  However, they weren't well taken care of and had actually migrated to a plot on the neighbor's yard (didn't stop us from grabbing buckets though).  He eventually torched em however, and I couldn't save anything / seeds.  Shame.
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2012, 02:52:43 pm »

Half of our garden is partitioned off and is used for farming. This year, we're growing corn, potatoes (which are doing fantastic at the moment thanks to all the rain we've been having), tomatoes, cucumbers, courgettes onions, plums, gooseberries, rasberries, blackcurrants, damsens, and a couple other things I forget. We work with crop rotation and everything, some years we get enough food to feed our entire family (plus the dogs) for like a month without having to go shopping. Other years... not so much :P
We also have 4-6 apple trees, some for cooking, some for eating. However, this year they have some weird infection so we're concentrating more on keeping them alive than eating their fruit.
Also, we have a big, raised bed just for strawberries. You will not believe how overgrown with strawberries it is. :P
And don't get me wrong, we don't live on a farm, the space for farming is actually kinda small-ish, we just use the space well.
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Tabbyman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2012, 03:31:23 pm »

My uncle had a tree... which grew apples, pears, and plums all on the same tree. Introverted genius.

Edit: peaches too.
Urist McHallucinate cancels operate pump: flying through the stars in the stomach of a giant fish.

Ancre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2012, 04:19:42 pm »

Back in France my parents have a few trees that produce stuff. We have cherries, pears, and a few berries. My mom started planting some herbs too, so we have stuff I don't even know what the name in english is. Green plants you usually shred and shake over your plate to enhance the taste or something.

I really want to have a garden and to start planting stuff too, but it will have to wait. Oh well.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2012, 04:48:11 pm »

For a while we had a little strawberry bed in the back yard, that despite the fact that we did nothing to it and left it alone, just kept growing strawberries somehow. Was nice while it lasted.

Tabbyman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2012, 07:41:02 pm »

we try growing stuff, but them slugs...

no matter how many we kill from beer traps, more always arrive! and we can't use the copper rings because we have a large garden, and they aren't cheap.

Have you tried pouring a line of salt around the perimeter of the garden? :P I know they really don't like coming into contact with salt...

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2012, 08:10:46 pm »

Also, you fool, you're suppose to convince your neighbors to do the beer traps. Beer attracts slugs like you wouldn't believe. Haha, you're probably making everyone else's garden thrive, though!

Also, only thing I can grow is potatoes. We keep trying but it's not going well. Me and the wife are HORRIBLE gardeners.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2012, 08:53:13 am »

At my current house, we only have a feijoa tree that bears any fruit; we've also got lemon and apple, but they're immature, plus a bunch of herbs; chives, thyme, plenty of rosemary, mint taking over the world ad per usual, a passionfruit vine on the fence that died last year.

The real gardener in my family is my dad, though; at his old house, he slowly dug more and more of the lawn into garden beds. He had all the herbs he needed, plus tomatoes, broad beans, capsicum, chili, strawberries, many stone fruit trees, peas, potatoes, garlic, chickens, lettuce, silverbeet, god only knows how many kinds of salad vegetable, pumpkin, zucchini, persimmon, rhubarb... I could go on.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2012, 09:22:47 am »

We have a balcony that bakes in the sun half the day. We're managing to keep three strawberry plants alive right now, but I don't know for how long... We ate 3 strawberries so far, and the birds a lot more.

A few herbs manage to survive as well, but mostly stuff just dies on us :( We're also lazy people who'd like to grow food if only it wasn't so time-consuming :P

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2012, 09:28:35 am »

Got lettuce, carrots, onions and pumpkins going. As for fruit: apples, pears, cherries (they got mauled by frost this year so nothing on them ;(), hazelnuts, strawberries and redcurrants. Chestnut and apricot trees are still too small to bear fruit.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Svarte Troner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2012, 11:10:24 am »

My dad and I attempted to grow a "garden" a few years back, but it became overrun with weeds and my neighbor (who is a really good gardener, hell he's practically a farmer) took care of it for us.... We had some carrots, corn, beets, and some other stuff, but I think the carrots were the only thing that really came to fruition.
That metal guy that pops up sometimes in places
To put it simply, Dwarf Fortress is the Black Metal of video games.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2012, 11:19:11 am »

Cool, a Bay12 gardening thread.

This year I worked hard to plant an orchard of espalier apple trees, about 20 of them. I shouldn't really let them fruit yet but I'm growing one or two 'test apples'. It involved lots of chopping down conifers with a big axe, mixing concrete for fence posts and many nails with the hammer. Pretty satisfying, though.

Our greenhouse got blown in by the storms last year so the tomatoes and peppers aren't doing too well. Today I discovered a snail has munched through my fledgling tomatillo plants also. Got a dozen or so raspberry canes, some strawberries, all kinds of currants and gooseberries etc. Squash, cucumber and melon though I need to get more soil to repot them. Tried corn this year but it is really not looking good, I suspect the dogs have been ripping it out. Onions and radishes too, and then there's the herb garden I've been building up. Haven't really grown much this year... you'll never know what an asset it is to have a greenhouse before it's asploded. Not enough ground to work in either, have to reclaim some of the foresty mess and get more soil.

Ah well, next year.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4