Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Gardening... Stuff you grow for food thread.  (Read 5760 times)

Canisaur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gardening... Stuff you grow for food thread.
« Reply #45 on: September 25, 2012, 12:52:48 pm »

the slugs and snails are bastards. nothing seems to stop them.

Ever try the 'cup of beer' trick for slugs?  I've never tried it myself, but I had slug problems the time I grew pumpkins.  I'm curious if anyone's actually had it work for them.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 25, 2012, 03:56:34 pm »

Do you have a cat? That might explain the slugs.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 25, 2012, 05:57:22 pm »

All my plants died.  Next time I'll try planting them earlier.

And maybe water them more than "Whenever I think of it".   :P
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 25, 2012, 07:32:40 pm »

Pumpkin. These get to a goodly size, but the sheer amount of them exceeds expectations. From ten seeds planted we got a full quarter of our backyard overtaken by happy pumpkins, resulting in a harvest of twenty-seven pumpkins. We're relatively well known in our cul-de-sac for giving out pumpkins to everyone.
your biggest?

(this was before the slugs came along) ours was misshapen, and about a half-meter across.
carved it out for Halloween.

They were butternuts, so not very large. The biggest I think was about 55cm diameter.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 26, 2012, 03:52:55 am »

Pumpkin. These get to a goodly size, but the sheer amount of them exceeds expectations. From ten seeds planted we got a full quarter of our backyard overtaken by happy pumpkins, resulting in a harvest of twenty-seven pumpkins. We're relatively well known in our cul-de-sac for giving out pumpkins to everyone.
your biggest?

(this was before the slugs came along) ours was misshapen, and about a half-meter across.
carved it out for Halloween.

They were butternuts, so not very large. The biggest I think was about 55cm diameter.

55cm is over half a meter. That sounds large to me, so I suspect you've mistyped.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 26, 2012, 04:00:46 am »

Argh. >_<

I meant 25cm. :/

Seamas

• Bay Watcher
  • Which way to the Egress?
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 26, 2012, 04:25:14 am »

I literally just came home today from Hawaii, where I've been living and working (for wages) on an organic tea farm on the Big Island.  I spent a month there with a Mad Farmer who swore by a method of agriculture involving 'Bio-Char': literally using fine-sifted charcoal for soil amendment.  He swore by the stuff. 

It's known as "terra preta" in Spanish, because vast deposits of this "black earth" have been found in the Amazon, clearly anthropogenic in origin, and these are considered the factual base for the myths of mighty civilizations reported to have existed during the Age of Discovery by hallucinogenic starving feverish Spanish explorers in the sixteenth century.  Contemporary studies have found terra preta to be extremely fertile soil which is a stark difference with typical rainforest soil, which is nutrient-poor muck by nature and incapable of supporting intensive agriculture.

As I understand it, the activated charcoal provides a habitat for the critically important microorganisms who break down the nutrients in soil and mineral bits and make them available for the plant roots.  When combined with a microbe-rich substance (manure, IMO, or any other kind of stinky rotting matter) the mix becomes some kind of super-fertilizer that makes plants extremely happy.  He was a scientist by disposition, and conducted experiments on his property that proved conclusively that the use of this bio-char increased yields by an extraordinary degree. 

So every other day we were filling a 4 x 5 x 3 foot fire-brick lined pit with wood and burning it for charcoal to fertilize his fields.  It was an interesting little experience. 

He actually sells the stuff for a profit (only because he has his own timber supply on his property).  He did some calculations and found he could make about $35/hour just by burning firewood and sifting the end product to sell as patent bio-char.
"One should behave like a gentleman when dealing with gentlemen, and a bastard when dealing with bastards."

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 30, 2012, 01:23:21 pm »

That Bio-Char stuff sounds like potash, which is nothing new in regards to fertilization.

As for our gardening, I don't know, my mom mostly handles that. Mostly different kinds of flowers, plus a few peppers and maybe tomatoes. And weed. And something I'm not sure if it's a fruit or a wierdly shaped flower. Can't really do the who yard on account of 4 dogs, plus most of the yard is covered in the actual trash that comes from my stepdad wanting to live like trailer trash.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 01, 2012, 07:27:56 am »

Potash is potassium salts, wood is something like 10% potash, biochar is basically charcoal which would contain potash but it's the other 90% which is supposedly good for the health of soil bacteria.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]