Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Games you've finished and will never, ever play again.  (Read 5879 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Games you've finished and will never, ever play again.
« on: June 11, 2012, 10:33:48 am »

The Borderlands thread got me thinking about this.

With Steam, you buy games and the idea is that you own them forever and always, ready to play at a moment's notice.

The truth for me is though....many of those games I'll never, ever re-install again to play myself. I'm done with them, through and through, whether because they're terrible games or there's no more entertainment to ever be mined out of them. I guess that's what really separates a classic from "just another game" in my book; is whether or not I'll ever play it again.

So, some games I've "finished":

Bad Company 2
Arkham Asylum
Borderlands
Assassin's Creed 1
Bioshock
Warhammer 40k Dawn of War
Resident Evil 5
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
Re: Games you've finished and will never, ever play again.
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 10:39:05 am »

I don't usually finish game, I'll stop when nearing the end and lose all motivation to play. I don't know why.

Dead Pool

• Bay Watcher
  • BOO-YAA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 10:59:23 am »

I don't think Dwarf Fortress will fit in here.
Deadpool is comin' for ya.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 11:00:28 am »

I rarely play games more than once through, so for me pretty much all of them.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Dead Pool

• Bay Watcher
  • BOO-YAA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 11:04:37 am »

I don't think by "ni'ver play agin he meant that the game you're playing is horrible and you're ni'ver playing it agin.

I think he meant you are FED UP with it.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2012, 11:05:34 am »

See, there's a difference to me between "unable to finish" and literally "will never ever considering installing again."

I mean, I've been trying to finish Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne for 5+ years, but I still entertain the idea of playing it. I've gotten 99.5% complete in Castlevania SOTN, and yet I still fire that game up from time to time because it's just that good. I still play a lot of emulated games from my teen years because there's still fun to be had.

I think he meant you are FED UP with it.

Or there's just simply nothing left to do and no joy to be found in replaying it.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2012, 11:06:11 am »

I took it more to meaning that it had no replay value. OP listed Arkham Asylum which I hope we can agree is not HORRIBLE, in any way.

I got nothing

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2012, 11:07:17 am »

OP listed Arkham Asylum which I hope we can agree is not HORRIBLE, in any way.

Agreed. I could just NEVER see myself replaying it, especially with Arkham City now out and certifiably awesome.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2012, 11:11:46 am »

It'd have to be a genuinely horrible game for me to not want to replay it at some point, just because even games with no real replayability (i.e. story/gameplay's the same every time) tend to get me nostalgic and wanting to play them again eventually. Some games it just takes me a reeeeeally long time before that happens. I guess there are games that I'm very unlikely to play again, just because other things would probably fit the niche better. I'm unlikely to play Caesar 2 or Civ 2/3 again, just because Caesar 3 and Civ 4+mods/5 are more fun at this point. If I only had access to the earlier games, though, I definitely wouldn't be against playing them. Also, for some reason I've gotten about halfway through Breath of Fire 4 two or three times and just stopped, so I read an LP and I think I'm done with it.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Dead Pool

• Bay Watcher
  • BOO-YAA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2012, 11:12:54 am »

So roguelikes aren't in the list, because uh. you make the storyline, and I don't think you can finish a roguelike.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2012, 11:15:12 am »

So roguelikes aren't in the list, because uh. you make the storyline, and I don't think you can finish a roguelike.

I sure haven't managed to finish one.  :)
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2012, 11:19:55 am »

Eh, some of them can be effectively finished -- if they're "solvable" (perfect play guarantees 100% victory rate), then someone capable of solving it is more or less done. Most people won't reach that point, but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen :P
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2012, 11:21:10 am »

Arkham Asylum
Kingdom Hearts
Syphon Filter
Final Fantasy VII: Dirge of Cerberus
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles
Driver
Sonic Heroes

Thats just what I can come up with looking over at some of my old console games and my desktop.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2012, 11:21:40 am »

Fascinating thread. I guess the most likely candidates would be non-RPGish adventure games, but most of the ones I can think of are Tim Schafer's stuff, which is worthy replay just to enjoy the experience of it. For instance, if I had the time and it wasn't a technical nightmare to get running, I'd play Grim Fandango again in a heartbeat.

I suppose Sid Meier's Pirates! would be one. I beat it a few times, but I was just underwhelmed. It just didn't capture that same lightning-in-a-bottle that the original had. Too much gloss, not enough meat. It's still up on my shelf somewhere, but I haven't played it in years. Ditto for the Civ IV: Colonization add-on.

Portal. And if I ever get around to finishing it, probably Portal 2. Don't get me wrong, they're great games, but I don't really see replay value. And I don't do enough multiplayer to be likely to use that mode in P2.

And yeah, Borderlands -- once I've beaten the whole things with each character at least once. Because you do have to develop a whole different playstyle, especially in single-player.

LIMBO, once I finish.

And honestly, Space Pirates and Zombies. It's just not that interesting to me. I wanna beat it, just because. But after that, I probably won't bother with another playthrough.

In general, I play so many freeform strategy, sandbox-type games, or RPGish games, that there's usually replay value in there. And I'm notorious for not giving up on a game. Hell, I'm still trying to find a way for Birthright: The Gorgon's Alliance to somehow not suck. Because it was a really good idea...just...hellishly bad code and design.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2012, 11:23:38 am »

I don't think Roguelikes are completely excluded from this...but yes, they generally do a far better job giving you reasons to replay than the majority of AAA games.

Also I'm very tempted to put DUNGEONS on this list.....but I have had the hankering to replay it again for nostalgia/immersion reasons. I imagine after another playthrough I'll be truly done with it.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 11:25:37 am by nenjin »
Pages: [1] 2 3