Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Games you've finished and will never, ever play again.  (Read 5884 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Games you've finished and will never, ever play again.
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2012, 11:39:16 am »

Oblivion for me, strangely enough.  I got like halfway through a good run before running out of motivation.  But all the hoops to jump through with "ok now I want this unbreakable lockpick" and that damned grey cowl...  Not to mention all the mage's guild quests to get in, jeeze.  It's a fun game and all, but there's several very long quest lines that are just a pain.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2012, 11:55:25 am »

Oblivion for me, strangely enough.  I got like halfway through a good run before running out of motivation.  But all the hoops to jump through with "ok now I want this unbreakable lockpick" and that damned grey cowl...  Not to mention all the mage's guild quests to get in, jeeze.  It's a fun game and all, but there's several very long quest lines that are just a pain.
Oh man, this happened to me too. Just walking down the road and suddenly, I see an Oblivion gate. Whoops, better go close it! Then I come back out and walk some more, and see another Oblivion gate. It starts getting old really fast.

Another game is Terraria, if you count getting the best gears as beating it. I've already done so 6+ times and now that there's nothing to look forward to, I just.. stopped.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2012, 12:15:45 pm »

Oblivion, for sure.

Terraria....I can picture myself sitting at home, with 10 foot snow drifts surrounding me, playing it again one day. But otherwise, for the most part, I'm completely done with the game since Re-Logic threw it under the bus.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2012, 12:16:31 pm »

Hm, I do like going back to replay games, though whether I will finish it again completely is another matter. Usually it depends on how well I remember the storyline.

Bioshock. Though I might play it again to look at the enviroments from a design view, I don't see myself finishing the game completely again.

Escape from Monkey Island. I do enjoy the Monkey Island series, but the keyboard controls for the 3D installment are too annoying to cope with again.

There's a few games that I've played through a few times after I first finished them to explore seperate paths, but since then I haven't played them. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 1 and 2, Black and White 1 and 2, Neverwinter Nights 1 and 2.

Though I can't guarentee NEVER again, I might feel like playing one sometime for some aspect they've got.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2012, 12:21:19 pm »

Anything in the Mass Effect franchise after having completed ME3 :P

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2012, 01:16:00 pm »

I'd say I have a better chance of firing up Oblivion again then any other TES game, even if making rings that let me jump through the clouds is the sole reason.

I'd have to throw Daggerfall onto my list of "games I will not play again".

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2012, 01:31:20 pm »

I'm gonna have to go with dungeon crawl. It was addictive, but I found it just left me... unhappy.

So maybe I should say I HOPE I never play it again. (Though really, what does finishing here mean? I never actually beat it, but I certainly wound up finished with it...)

Roundabout Lout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2012, 02:02:23 pm »

Pretty much every game that was on the indie fort bundle.

Psychonauts, but that's not by choice. Since getting a rig with Vista 64 bit, it locks up in the same spot while playing around in the artist's mind. If I had a guarantee that wouldn't happen again, I'd play it in a heartbeat.

Yeah, Oblivion for me too. Me becoming sick of that game was what fueled my interest in indie games, bringing me to Dwarf Fortress. Once I tried to build a thief, and saw what happened with auto-leveling, I couldn't take the vanilla game seriously anymore.

Jade Empire, as I played both the good guy, and the supremely evil guy who kills off his friends who blindly followed him until almost the end. There was just nothing else left after that.

KotOR 2. I mean, that ending. That is all.

All the new Sam and Max "episodes", they just don't have the charm of the original.

Every Saint's Row game. Mindless violence would be a heck of a lot more fun if the PC ports were worth their salt.

The Mass Effect series. After seeing the giant terminator boss at the end of 2, I sighed and forgot all about either game, losing my saves without realizing what I had done, further crippling any interest in ME3.

Maybe I'll be able to think of more.

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2012, 02:08:41 pm »

Every Saint's Row game. Mindless violence would be a heck of a lot more fun if the PC ports were worth their salt.

I'm playing 3 on PC at the moment and having quite a good time. What am I missing out from the console version?

Roundabout Lout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2012, 02:13:21 pm »

I played the first half hour of Saint's Row 3 on PC, and it wouldn't let me play with DX 10. DX 9 looked rather ugly, and ran as poorly as Saint's 2, so I never really played at all.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2012, 02:25:52 pm »

Portal. And if I ever get around to finishing it, probably Portal 2. Don't get me wrong, they're great games, but I don't really see replay value. And I don't do enough multiplayer to be likely to use that mode in P2.

Just thought I'd mention that if you can find someone to play with, it's absolutely, totally worth going through the co-op campaign of Portal 2. Totally new maps that require you to work with your buddy to achieve your goals.

As for the topic, I put down pretty much any game that I've managed to beat. Only real exception is Crawl, which I've managed to beat multiple times now, but will still pick up again when they run their yearly tournament.

Other than that, I've gone back and played Space Quest 1-3 and Heroes' Quest 1-3 a couple times. They still hold up, even though it only takes a couple hours to finish them once you know what needs to be done.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2012, 02:27:00 pm »

I think I play Quest for Glory 1 - 4 about once a year. That is, if I can actually force myself to playthrough all of 3 to get back to the goodness that is 4.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2012, 02:30:41 pm »

I did hear 2 was poorly ported and stayed away from it, but the 3rd was better. Also DX 11 seem to be working fine on mine, but if it fails on your system it's a valid complaint. To stay on topic, I doubt I'll ever play it again once I grow bored with it.

The main cause I think is that there are so many games released that all my game-time is spent on new release and I don't really have time or interest to go back to classics. Especially since many "new" titles are basically updates of classical games anyway, so that make playing the original redundant. Unless the new game is actually worst than the original... I'm looking at you Sword of the Stars II.

Cecilff2

• Bay Watcher
  • PikaaAAAAあああああ
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2012, 02:46:31 pm »

Final Fantasy VIII.  I knew I wouldn't like it.  I had gotten to the last dungeon before when I was young and remember it leaving a bad taste in my mouth.  Well I tried it again bout half a year back in an attempt to finish the collection I had.

Worst. Idea. Ever.

I beat it, but I have no desire to ever play that thing again.  Even if I kind of liked the junction system.  I just can't stand the characters.
There comes a time when you must take off the soft, furry slippers of a boy and put on the shoes of a man.
Unless of course they don't fit properly and your feet blister up like bubble wrap.
Oh ho ho, but don't try to return the shoes, because they won't take them back once you've worn them.
Especially if that fat pig Tony is at the desk.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2012, 03:19:17 pm »

And on that note....

Final Fantasy 8 here as well. I think I made to the point where you figure out the villain travels through time and said "fuck this stupid game." The story was terrible and made almost no sense, the game was made up of large portions of directorial CGI masturbation, the magic system was a pain in the ass to use and completely overshadowed by summons.....so many things wrong with that game, I think I actually threw out the physical disc.

And then Final Fantasy XII. I hadn't played the series since 8 (other than a brief and ugly encounter with FF9), so all the changes to the series caught up with me and I was not enthused. I suppose it was a far better game than FF8, but I just couldn't get into it. Hated all the characters, the job system was uninteresting because characters didn't stand apart from each other in any meaningful way. The only real fun I had was doing the Monster Hunts, and even those became an exercise in frustration, trying to figure out which fights you were capable of doing and which ones you weren't.

I didn't start this thread as a "games you disliked so much you threw them away" thread.....but mentioning FF8 reminded me that yes, there are games I've done that with.
Pages: 1 [2] 3