Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: My monarch is a necromancer, should I be afraid?  (Read 4688 times)

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
My monarch is a necromancer, should I be afraid?
« on: June 10, 2012, 03:40:33 pm »

First off, I didn't look at legends, and just picked the dwarf civ the embark selection screen had given me. So, just started a new fort recently, in a jungle on the seaside. Was a bit :O at a giant sperm whale that was swimming about for a while (I do intend to have a large cage trap operation to capture all those yummy ocean creatures later). My first caravan just arrived, was setting all the bone crafts to be traded, when I thought I'd view a couple of the ones with descriptions...

"This is a superior quality yak bone figurine of Logem Bowelrelics. The item is a superiorly designed image of Logem Bowelrelics the dwarf and dwarves in yak bone by Zuntir Oltarakil. Logem Bowelrelics is surrounded by the dwarves. The artwork relates to the ascension of the dwarf necromancer Logem Bowelrelics to the position of queen of the Crystalline Corridors in 41."

Short history, so current year is 126. Afaik, necromancers are immortal, so will I eventually get the queen pop up, come in, and start resurrecting any/all corpses, skeletons, and untanned skins? Will she and/or her undead be hostile to me?  Currently I only have 15 dwarves, but it seems like I'm in for a bit of FUN later...

L3TUC3

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:common green]
    • View Profile
Re: My monarch is a necromancer, should I be afraid?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 03:42:24 pm »

If anything the undead raised by your queen should be friendly or part of your civ. It would actually make for a pretty neat defense strategy.

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 03:44:07 pm »

? Really? I thought zombies had opposed-to-life, and will always be hostile to mortals. Pretty sure necro-migrants raise hostile zombies.
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2012, 03:57:44 pm »

If anything the undead raised by your queen should be friendly or part of your civ. It would actually make for a pretty neat defense strategy.
They'll be friendly with the queen. And that's about it.

Everything else is fair meal.

Thorik

• Bay Watcher
  • Inspector of Conspicuous Cheeto Consumption
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2012, 04:01:47 pm »

prepare a necromancy base for your queen and get all your dwarves killed when she comes.  Then just stay around watching her resurrect all the sieges and fight off more till fps death
I like sushi.

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2012, 04:02:57 pm »

Damn, had a look at a couple more figurines, another one details the ascension of another (non-necromancer) queen in 97. So FUN averted for this round, but the question of what would happen is still interesting. Vampire monarchs I've heard about before, and they're pretty straightforward, but hadn't come across a mention of a necromancer monarch. :P

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2012, 04:16:12 pm »

If the necromancer monarch obeys burrows, it can be weaponized in a controlled manner.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Monk321654

• Bay Watcher
  • [COMPUTER_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2012, 04:44:51 pm »

If only a Necromancer in Alliance with a Civ would Resurrect Zom'ies also in alliance with that Civ...
This is a side-effect of dwarven animal training (hit animal with hammer until it forgets that it hates you, then lovingly cuddle it).

I'm not your average Bay12er. I care about my drunken midgets.

Sabreur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2012, 04:45:49 pm »

...weaponized...

This.  Definitely this.  Wait'll you see the looks on those goblins' faces when they're attacked by the reanimated gobbos from the previous siege.

Luge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2012, 05:26:58 pm »

Seed please?

:)

L.

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2012, 05:39:29 pm »

Seed please?

L.

If you tell me where to find it?

ydaraishy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2012, 05:44:53 pm »

Seed please?

L.

If you tell me where to find it?

They should be in a *_world_gen_param.txt file when you export data from Legends mode.

Imakuni

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Dance Floor!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2012, 06:04:38 pm »

prepare a necromancy base for your queen and get all your dwarves killed when she comes.  Then just stay around watching her resurrect all the sieges and fight off more till fps death

No need to kill the rest of the dwarves, just lock them indoors and let the queen live in an outdoor base. Put your refuse stockpile out there before she comes, and she should have an undead army and be able to fend off gobbos.

Then, when she has a large enough army, let HFS loose on her.
Urist McImmigrant: "What?! Hey! What's going onnn---aaaaRRRGGHH!!"
Urist McSurgeon: "Must remove the rot, yes.  This one is unclean, ssssss.  Purity of essence, yesss."
Urist McImmigrant: "Whhaa---aaaARRGHH OW!  MY PANCREAS!  AAAAGGHH!! THAT'S MY - NOOOOO---AAARRGHGHHH!!!"
Urist McImmigrant has suffocated.

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2012, 06:21:16 pm »

Had a look in legends, apparently she became queen first, then "became obsessed with her own mortality and sought to extend her life by any means" (this can happen to rulers iirc). After this the next entry is her settling at a tower in 96 (so previous year from the known ascension of a new queen). She's listed as being queen 41-96. So could be you can't get her as both necromancer and queen at the same time. Apparently if monarchs become necromancers they leave their civ to do so, so you'd need a necromancer who becomes a monarch, and I'm not sure if they ever do that. Seems they mostly stay at their tower writing books. And attack fortresses, of course.

Here's the world_gen_param.txt file, though, have a look yourself.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Heh, apparently the dwarf who became general at the same time as her was/became a necromancer as well. :P He was one of the first dwarves, made a journey to the underworld in 41, tamed the giant toads of the depths of the world, returned home, then became obsessed with his mortality in 47.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 06:28:38 pm by Snaake »

Scruffy

• Bay Watcher
  • !!DRUNK FORTRESS!! Come smell the ashes
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2012, 07:02:07 pm »

Hmm, a lovely necro turret? Build a glorious private chamber in the corner of the map and let the weaponized queen do her part for the fortress defence.

I can already imagine it: An elven caravan from the local hippie haven arrives: "Look, man. They are people over there. 10 of 'em." "They are waving at us! Totally cool dude. Let's go meet them." "Whoa, what is this? Back of man.. Aargh!!.."
Next Spring there are 16 figures waving...
(I have no idea why, but I always imagine elves as weed smokers)
The weredwarf Urist McUrist has come! A bearded drunkard twisted into minute form. It is crazed for booze and socks. Its unwashed beard is tangled. It needs alcohol to get through the working day and has gone without a drink for far too long. Now you will know why you fear the mines.

Et tu, Urist
Pages: [1] 2