Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 27

Author Topic: Gnomoria: Is this the next DF-Like?  (Read 92216 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gnomoria: Is this the next DF-Like?
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2012, 02:14:44 pm »

Yeah, I don't mind the spread of DF-likes any more than I minded the spread of Rogue-likes (in other words, not at all).

What I do mind is... well, it doesn't seem to bring anything new to the table and it wants you to pay to play it. The graphics are decent, I guess.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2012, 05:15:15 pm »

I bought it and am toying around with it now. It is somewhat fun in it's current state(alpha) and look forward to more content and balance. This guy needs a pat on the back for accomplishing this in 11 months on his own(recently added a music producer and an artist).
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2012, 12:22:09 pm »

Well I am impressed by the Interface if anything. The more clear to understand nature of it anyway. Gonna look at the Demo, the price tag isn't really going to have me pay for it through, I have DF for things like this...

Regardless, next time someone complains about DF's lack of graphics, I will point them to this... ^_^ YOU WANT GRAPHICS!!! YOU MUST PAY FOR THEM!!!
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2012, 12:22:47 pm »

Urgh, the UI is so incredibly obtuse, it really does make DF look better by comparison.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2012, 12:30:07 pm »

YOU WANT GRAPHICS!!! YOU MUST PAY FOR THEM!!!
That would have been a damn good idea if money actually went to Toady instead of some fuckass copycat...

Lord Inquisitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2012, 12:34:44 pm »

tried the Demo, game is sodding alpha, not paying for alpha.*

While it has merits and graphiocs it seems to be lacking. the UI and z level thing are noticable.

as for cloning, how can you make a iso game with crafting mining and such and not get compared to DF which kinda looms over them like a FB.

*yes, DF is perpetual alpha but it is Bigger and feels better.

http://cataclysm.tiddlyspot.com/index.html Cataclysm Roguelike game Tiddlywiki mostly out of date
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113337.0 Who makes alcohol? do you? post here then.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2012, 12:56:55 pm »

Why der fuck would you call your game Gnomoria? Sounds very STD-y.
Oh thank god I'm not the only one.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2012, 01:08:29 pm »

I thought the same too, so... :P

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2012, 01:22:50 pm »

I feel like I drew Gnomoria's pixel art.

This is to say, I can see where they took tiles from Stonesense and drew direct inspiration from them, from doors, beds, and stone bricks, down to the resolution... even the thin Floor Block vertically stacked on top of each Wall Block.

I wish more of the money that goes into clone games like these would funnel to Toady instead.

Roundabout Lout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2012, 03:39:58 pm »

I know the whole DF ripoff attitude is a shitty one to have, but this feels like it's coming very close to crossing the line, just IMO. The graphics just look too close to Stonesense for my comfort.

Will wait to see what you guys think of it after some development, and what Gnomoria does to differentiate itself. Not paying for this quite yet.

And it really does sound like an STD.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2012, 04:28:35 pm »

So far, I like how this handles jobs, workshops, and designation.  Click and select, then a window pops up to select what you want to use/place.

The only thing I can't figure out is how to remove layers of land easily.  In DF you just select an area and up-ramp it.  In this game, you get stuck miners (like DF from about 2 years ago)
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Dwemeral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 11, 2012, 06:03:37 pm »

No thanks, I stick with towns.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 11, 2012, 06:16:57 pm »

If this isn't a graphical, simplified version of Dwarf Fortress I honestly don't know what the hell would count as one. It only bothers me because he's charging money.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 11, 2012, 06:33:43 pm »

If this isn't a graphical, simplified version of Dwarf Fortress I honestly don't know what the hell would count as one. It only bothers me because he's charging money.
And it doesn't matter one way or another.  Really, who cares?  Tarn is still getting his donations and people that can't get into DF because (honestly) the interface sucks hard can pay this developer/team to make a product that better fits their preferences for a game.  In all honesty, if you are worried that someone is trying to "steal" donations from Tarn, those people would likely not have donated in the first place because the interface to DF just isn't there or scared them away.  If anything Tarn can take a lesson from this developer (IMHO) when he finally gets to that Interface story.  Let this other developer go through the growing pains and find out what does/doesn't work and let Tarn copy those features that do.  Don't just stand up and say: "OMG, you totally copied that from X game.  You should be ashamed!"  Embrace that iteration development style.  Copy and improve, copy and improve.

I think people here get too attached to this game and lash out at anything that frightens them as if it will impact their beloved game.  You need to take a step back and realize that competition in any form is good.  Bringing people into the genre that Tarn sculpted is only a bonus.  It raises awareness and gets people used to the style of game without throwing them in the deep end of the pool and telling them to learn to swim.  If at some point Tarn gets to the interface overhaul he's been planning, that will only being in more donations for people looking for a deeper game where every detail of every action is cataloged and calculated.  This game (Gnomoria) and Towns are like the fly on the line attracting fish to that big scary hook.  Wait till they bite and say they want more, then introduce them to DF.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 11, 2012, 06:39:17 pm »

I had a small chat with the devloper guy, he simply ask money for it to allow us to *pre-buy* it pretty much like minecraft did, he is a father with a 2.5yr, bills to pay family to feed and he now work from home to have more time with his family and devloping the game.

Good move if you want my point of view, sure its gnome, sure its alpha, sure it has price, sure it look like very much like DF, but 8$ for that game? totally worth it once you know the guy work tirelessly on the game and he is passionate. Worth it or no? everybody has opinion, i bought it and im really happy i did.

Interface, sure its clunky at time specially when comes time to dig staircase down and so on, but you have hotkeys!! press F to lower the wall and see where you are placing stuff. If DF interface isnt a problem for you, you should not have trouble adapting yourself to that game, heck your a dwarf arent you? The game deserve some love and is receiving from all side.

Get on the boat, give the man some money for the game if you like it ( by buying it, heck 8$ come on you are that greedy? Thats nothing if you like a game ). My impression i love it, its like DF while having some stuff different and the more varied *spinoff* game that come out of DF simply shows there is a market for that and maybe, just maybe bigguer studio will realise that and make games like that. BUT i will always be loyal to toady as he is the father of this genre if you want my point of view.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 27