Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 27

Author Topic: Gnomoria: Is this the next DF-Like?  (Read 92209 times)

Markus

• Bay Watcher
  • [Alignment:Lawful Bacon]
    • View Profile
Gnomoria: Is this the next DF-Like?
« on: June 09, 2012, 04:16:08 pm »

Gnomoria is an Alpha stage Indie game with a resemblance to Stonesense Dwarf Fortress. In its early stage it is nowhere NEAR as complex as Dwarf Fortress and has begun Pre-Orders with playable Alpha a-la minecraft.

http://gnomoria.com/

In its current state it has much untapped potential. How it will turn out could be interesting, and I suggest you look at it yourself. The site is small and a short read on your break is all you would need. It definitely won't turn out just like DF, but we could really use more games like Dwarf Fortress, maybe this could turn out to be a simpler game which could ease people into the genre?

Who knows what the future will hold...

INITIALIZE:Discussion
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 06:12:39 pm by Markus »

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: Gnomoria: Is this the next DF-Like?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2012, 04:24:18 pm »

Much as I don't want to be "that guy"...this positively reeks of Dwarf Fortress :o
Not saying that's an inherently bad thing, but it really looks like a graphical DF.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2012, 04:33:33 pm »

Why der fuck would you call your game Gnomoria? Sounds very STD-y.

Anyway;
Gnomoria is a sandbox village management game where you help lead a small group of gnomes, who have set out on their own, to thrive into a bustling kingdom! Anything you see can be broken down and rebuilt elsewhere. Craft items, build structures, set traps and dig deep underground in search of precious resources to help your gnomes survive the harsh lands. Build your kingdom and stockpile wealth to attract wandering gnomads to your cause, but be wary of also attracting enemies!
Honestly, this is vague enough to make it a good game without copying DF. Toady doesn't own the copyrights of midget men and sandbox village management games.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 04:35:35 pm by Dutchling »

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2012, 04:34:43 pm »

Heh.
Copy of a wannabe. This looks a lot like towns which draws a lot of inspiration from DF

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2012, 04:35:18 pm »

Looks pretty good, I'd play it.

After watching the gameplay video, the one thing I don't like (besides the chiptunes- that music really didn't fit this game, and I hope it's not what we'll hear in the finished product) is the weird, juxtaposed 2D/3D selection system. Every time he started designating things for harvest or digging out, I couldn't tell exactly which squares would end up being designated. It just looked confusing.
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2012, 04:37:52 pm »

Well looks like stonesense but if we yell at every game "DF ripoff" we will look like a bunch of WoW players that think every MMO in history is a WoW ripoff.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2012, 04:40:17 pm »

Looks somewhat interesting, but not for the price, even in alpha state, for something that started in July of 2011.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2012, 04:45:28 pm »

Well looks like stonesense but if we yell at every game "DF ripoff" we will look like a bunch of WoW players that think every MMO in history is a WoW ripoff.

Yeah, this sort of attitude pisses me off. I remember people saying the same things when Minecraft first rolled around. It's childish.
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

Markus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2012, 05:09:47 pm »

I am by NO means here to say its a ripoff or is stealing-In fact, I'd love to see more of this kind of game!

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2012, 05:20:27 pm »

I am by NO means here to say its a ripoff or is stealing-In fact, I'd love to see more of this kind of game!

Could you update the OP and thread title in that case? It's basically blurg right now.

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2012, 05:39:29 pm »

Heh.
Copy of a wannabe. This looks a lot like towns which draws a lot of inspiration from DF

It really is a lot more "Dwarf Fortress with Stonesense built in" than "Towns". for the good and bad.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2012, 05:41:39 pm »

All right, who's up for betting on how many redundant threads people are gonna make about this one?
It's FEF, not FEOF

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2012, 05:42:03 pm »

I guess at least 3.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Markus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2012, 05:50:10 pm »

I wouldn't be surprised if it was a lot more than 3. But this forum generally seems good about extra topics, so I'm willing to be proven wrong.

Also, updating the OP to the best of my ability. But I haven't go the game yet, so I must take your word for it.

dizzyelk

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes kittens for their delicious roasts.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2012, 05:58:49 pm »

Especially when everyone knows they're all just Ultima Online ripoffs...

And who the hell wants to play as gnomes?
Dwarf Fortress - Bringing out the evil in people since 2006.
Somehow, that fills me more with dread than anticipation.  It's like being told that someone's exhuming your favorite grandparent and they're going to try to make her into a cyborg stripper.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 27