Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 36

Author Topic: Roll to Progress :: Never Split the Party, Scooby Doo  (Read 47682 times)

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Progress :: Sinterous, Burning Man
« Reply #390 on: August 15, 2012, 10:59:04 pm »

"Alright you lot, SHUT UP AND SIT DOWN."

Emanate Primal Fear aura and Raise a wall beneath me, separating the two sides with a thick lengthy slab of stone with me on top.

"Now look here you crowd of red guys, I got business with these guys behind me here. I have no idea who you are. And as for YOU lot what started attacking me, you better be right damn sorry. You got any clue who I am? The hat should tip you off.

Grin maniacally.

"Names Derm. I caused what some refer to as 'The Incident' a few months ago. Yeah. And now cause your leader is bein' all nice, I got a mission that'd set me free of all charges. This mission is killing some type of Lich. For those of you who haven't heard of me, this should tell you something seeing as I was given this mission in full confidence. If you aren't impressed, I will tell you I just got here from killing a very large and angry demon. You," Point at red people "Are delaying me from going free. You," Point at green people. "Just swung a sword at me. And a spear. If this were any other situation I'd be real mad about that. But I'm feeling nice, how about both of you mobs do Three things: Shut up. Stop swinging your damn sharp things all up in my face and each other, and paradoxically from rule one, tell me what the hell your collective issue is."

"If not, well, You ever seen what happens to a man when his skull is teleported right out his head? Let me tell ya it is damn funny."

HP: 29/30
MP: 26/41

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 01:25:05 pm by dermonster »
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

borno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: August 16, 2012, 12:27:25 am »

Hedric's shocked expression slowly fades off his face.
"What the..."
Suddenly he snaps back into action.
"Well? Where is my money?!"
He holds out his hand impatiently once more.
"Gimme my dues! At least 50 shillings for the trouble you caused me!"
Once more demand payment from Sinterous.

Sinpwn

• Bay Watcher
  • That there guy with that face.
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: August 16, 2012, 01:06:06 am »

Sinterous sighs and picks himself up off the ground, dusting off his robes and righting the angle of his hat before turning to Hedric.
"I am dreadfully sorry to hear of your predicament, but allow me to explain my case. Firstly, I did not say that the green fluid, which is the centre topic of this conversation, was poison, only that it may be. Secondly, I regret to inform you that I am not in possession of any currency at the moment. Thirdly, now may not be the best time to discuss financial reimbursement, given that we are standing on the edge of a battlefield."

Sit down and create a spell that engulfs the target in a cloak of flame that protects them and sears their enemies.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 01:22:44 pm by Sinpwn »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: August 16, 2012, 11:10:38 am »

((Technically, fire's out.  :P))

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Maxinum McDreich

• Bay Watcher
  • Gree-diddly-tings.
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: August 16, 2012, 11:56:20 am »

Lei ensured the fire was out. ''Ok... now that that's... where's Aero and Der-?'' Lei looked around and saw Aero dropping Derm and everything that followed. Hearing the speech, she mid-way through gave a helping hand by giving a mental 'nudge' to all the soldiers to accept Derm's conditions. She hoped someone kept an eye on the robed figures though, as she was now too focussed to do it herself.

Sinpwn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: August 16, 2012, 01:21:27 pm »

((Technically, fire's out.  :P))
((Whoops, missed Lei's action. Editing it, then.))

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: August 16, 2012, 01:39:46 pm »

Aero

You descend, standing next to Derm. You attempt to call a thunderstorm from the clear, sunny skies.

[1]

A bolt of lightning strikes out of the blue, flashing through your body to reach the soil and stone beneath. Despite your utter failure, you pull yourself together and stand ready to flee.

-4 HP (Currently 20/30)
-6 MP
____

Talendir

You sit, carefully observing the unfolding incident while internally angsting about Fate and Destiny. You are deeply thankful that you have hair the perfect color for brooding silence.

(HP currently 64/75)
____

Derm

Getting down to business, you [4] exude an aura of pure fear, causing a number of the soldiers on each side to shy back, hands shaking.

With a slight grin, you raise your hands, [1] rapidly accelerating a stone block from the ramp into your chin. It knocks you back and a trickle of blood rolls down your neck. You hope that you haven't broken your jaw as you press on with your rant. You give both sides rather good (violent) reasons to back off and explain their actions.

-3 HP (currently 26/30)
-13 MP
____

Hedric

You whine--that is to say, you make a number of excellent arguments--for a while about how Sinterous "owes you money". He brushes you off.

(HP currently 31/35)
____

Sinterous

Trying to drown out the babbling of your moneygrubbing companion, you remove your second and last blank scroll with a flourish.

Inspired by your recent incident with the sealed scroll, you decide to create a spell which will cloak the target in flames that burn only their foes.

[5]

You do so, creating precisely what you envisioned!

Lose: Blank Scroll
Gain Skill: Ember Cloak: Envelopes the target in a swirling mass of embers and flames, leaving them unharmed but burning their foes. 15 MP cost; 5 turn duration.

(HP currently 17/25)
____

Lei

You reach out to the minds of all of the soldiers on both sides, attempting to influence them in favor of Derm's demands.

[5]

It was a draining task, but you think you have succeeded.

(HP currently 31/35)
____

[2 + 1] Despite Mina's influence, the Greenhaven soldiers still seem hostile and remain silent but for insults. At least they aren't attacking Derm or Aero.

[6] The redcoated soldiers, on the other hand, seem more than happen to explain.

One, apparently the only surviving officer of their company, explains that a little more than two years ago, Greenhaven troops attacked their tower and drove them back to their own lord's keep, levying new taxes on the local peasantry. They came here to negotiate in good faith for terms which would see the Freeholder's men gone, but were betrayed and attacked. He also mentions something about an old wizard that they worked with; he apparently rented a number of rooms in exchange for occasional services. The redcoated officer offers to aid you in your journey if you assist them in their just task of retaking their land and avenging their murdered comrades.

____

Shortly after completing his new spell, [1] Sinterous feels violently ill and vomits profusely.
____

[5] Mina feels briefly queasy, but it passes quickly.
____

((In case anyone was confused, the only people who have actually been healed at any point in the game were Derm (when he slept for a while inside the village) and Mina (when she Laid Hands on herself, and while walking because of her little photosynthetic symbiote) I probably should have been completely explicit in my reply to Skyrunner that it was her character that had healed, and I was going to let it slide if everyone had done it, but both derm and Sinpwn kept track of things, so... I'll note in your posts what my copy of your character sheets has you at after taking any damage that you might have this turn. Yes, I've been keeping track of everything in my own documents. With mana, you can assume that a travel time of "several hours" or more is sufficient to completely refill it. But most of you don't have healing factors that work in the same way as your mana regeneration.))

3. Run Resize Enable

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: August 16, 2012, 01:48:16 pm »

"Right, first thing, still technically in their employ or something, so kind of obligated to give them a chance to explain. You, Greenhaven people. The hell did you attack them for? I will take silence as admission to doing it solely to piss me off and thus will take action accordingly."

HP: 26/30
MP: 18/41
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 01:50:22 pm by dermonster »
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: August 16, 2012, 01:59:17 pm »

Just the clouds this time.

Sinpwn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: August 16, 2012, 02:08:10 pm »

"Bleh, i'm... Not feeling so hot right now... Heh, hot. Sure was a minute ago..."

Ember Cloak self. Get back to inspecting the rust-red scroll.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: August 16, 2012, 02:43:43 pm »

Talendir kept watching from a distance as the sorcerer smacked his own face and threatened both sides. Well, helping one group or the other, what the soldier was sure of is that he'd be glad to get some new equipment.

From the looks of it, they had a good chances of taking the peasant's side, and with that, he'd nonchalantly raid the castle's armory and most likely take what he could carry from there.

Just wait.

"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Maxinum McDreich

• Bay Watcher
  • Gree-diddly-tings.
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: August 16, 2012, 03:47:18 pm »

(from super unlucky to 3 5's. Now, if only I could get a 5 when I really need it... :P.)

Lei held her head, as a dull ache was forming from her task. Overhearing the explanation, things became clear. The 4th figure must be the wizard they were talking about. What kind of services could be so important. But this talk of avenging their dead, it made Lei ill.
It meant more death.

''Isn't this enough...?'' Lei said under her breath, yet again. She refocussed her efforts. She sent another 'nudge' to calm them down, and to have them all ask the same question she just did. She just wanted a solution, and that these people could go back to their families, and to honour those already fallen.

To everyone else, she was holding her staff close, and muttering, head bowed.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #402 on: August 17, 2012, 01:24:05 am »

Mina sighed, then raised her hands at about shoulder level, palms out and spread in a peace-suggesting posture. She looks quite exasperated.

"Obviously, this is not a simple question or problem. We must listen to both sides before coming to a decision. This conflict must be brought ... to the court, in front of magistrates and a correct and honorable judge. Both sides should present their claim of the situation, and the lawful and just men (and women) shall decide who is in the wrong. Meanwhile, my, erm, "companions" and I have business to conduct. So, off on your way! Trot trot!"

Dismiss them to the nearest court of Law.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

borno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: August 17, 2012, 02:11:19 am »

((How am I supposed to make any money when the people around me all the time have no money whatsoever?!))

"Argh... Fine. Have the money ready by tomorrow."
Says Hedric, completely forgetting all that Sinterous just said. Then, he turns to the soldiers.
"So, er... Are any of you guys paying for help?"
Ask if any of them are paying, and if they both are, ask how much.

Stats: HP: 34/35
MP: 0/0
Skills:Nimble Hands, Leaps and Bounds.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: August 17, 2012, 09:12:33 am »

Derm

You ask the Greenhaven soldiers for the reason for their attack.

[3]

"None of your bloody business," one shoots back.
____

Aero

Taking things a bit easier, you try to simply gather foreboding stormclouds overhead.

[6]

The sky practically boils with pitch-black clouds, small sparks of lightning jumping along parallel to the ground. The effect is rather impressive, but only exists in a small area. Your companions on the ridge are near the edge of it. The scene at the foot of the tower is cast into deep shadow.
____

Sinterous

You attempt to cast your new spell to allow you to remain undisturbed while studying.

[2]

The spell fizzles out as you halfheartedly wave your hands while muttering an activation charm. Nevertheless, you take up the rust-red scroll, continuing to study it.

[5]

Suddenly, you realize that you recognize the rune. You aren't entirely certain of its meaning, but you know that it is related to a dangerous branch of magic that uses blood and bone as catalysts and materials.
____

Talendir

You continue to wait, contemplating the upcoming opportunities for looting like any good soldier.
____

Lei

You send a mental suggestion to the four cloaked figures.

[6]

One asks the others, "Is this not enough?" All of them agree, "Yes. It is past time we took an active hand in this." They leave the stand of trees, walking down to where the soldiers, Derm, and Aero stand.
____

Mina

You join Aero and Derm, chastising both sides for fighting things out instead of taking appropriate action through the legal system. You wave them away, telling them to take it to a court.

[6]

The redcoated officer laughs, asking you what good talking to the Freeholder in her capacity as justice would do if doing so while she was wearing her "hat" as lawgiver lead only to betrayal. It appears that this land judges disputes by bringing them before lords and ladies of the land, and as parties to the conflict neither the Freeholder nor the lord with the Stag sigil could be trusted to offer a fair judgement.
____

Hedric

((Steal from people who do have money?))

You rush down to the confrontation, asking each side how much they'd pay to hire you for assistance.

[4] The redcoated officer offers you a few silverpieces to aid them in this battle, if it continues.

[6] One of the Greenhaven soldiers mentions that they haven't been to a brothel for months, and that he likes the look of you. He offers you a goldpiece to help him sheath his sword.
____

The battle has petered out, and now an air of confusion hangs as thickly as Aero's summoned clouds. Nobody on either side is quite sure of what the hell is going on at this point. When the cloaked figures reach the meeting point, none of them speak, though one coughs in irritation.

3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 36