Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 36

Author Topic: Roll to Progress :: Never Split the Party, Scooby Doo  (Read 47703 times)

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Progress :: Red Sky At Morn'...
« Reply #360 on: August 13, 2012, 09:00:52 am »

''You...!'' Lei was unusually angry, but her small frame meant she wasn't exactly intimidating. ''Atleast I'm not making idle chat!'' She retorted, internally trying to focus herself and finish the mental scan. ''Oh, and I'm doing more than you think to help!'' She finished, taking 2 steps ahead of the group holding her staff with both hands.

Talendir rose an eyebrow as Aero started to talk to Lei about being social, apparently forgetting about he was the one who had scratched the soldier's hand to snatch a letter. So much for being social type. It seemed the birdman was only a "social" type whenever he was trying to get into a woman's pants; Talendir had already seen his share of that kind of people, and as the woman seemed to be too angry, the soldier simply shrugged and moved away from both birdman and impatient girl.

"Suit yourselves." he said calmly before leaving. The team now had the addition of an anxious and nervous woman, like he hadn't enough problems already.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: August 13, 2012, 09:06:49 am »

((I like how Hedric is assuming that it's a poison just because it is green. This 'verse isn't that stereotypical. :P

All waiting on Skyrunner. I've got nothing to do, so I feel like going on a roll (heh) today if everyone else is up for it. :3))

« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 09:08:26 am by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #362 on: August 13, 2012, 10:06:21 am »

Mina plops down on the ground and cradles her chin in one hand, observing the battlefield, and trying to see if either side is decidedly losing or winning.

"Shut up," the helpful, kind, and cheery merchant within her offered to Lei. "Please?"

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: August 13, 2012, 11:04:49 am »

Aero

Peering intently at your spear as you test the blade with a finger, [4] you realize that the spearhead has a much better edge on it. As you watch, the few drops of blood from your finger are absorbed by the iron, which now bears a crimson hue.
____

Sinterous

With no time like the present for research, you lower yourself to the ground and run your hands over the scroll with the rust-red rune, leaking a tiny amount of your power into it.

[1]

You are thrown back with a flash of light and a loud cry. Several small fires are ignited on your robes.

-3 HP
-4 MP
____

Derm

Thinking quickly, you send out dozens of tendrils of power towards the tower.

[1]

Your magical strength fails before you can affect anything at the battle. A returning whiplash of magical feedback shoots through your body. The sudden shock to your system disrupts the antigravity field, though not the increased air resistance field. You drift to the ground as if sinking to the bottom of a pond.

-1 HP
-23 MP
____

Talendir

Displaying your experience with such things, you wait while carefully observing the battlefield and the surviving soldiers on each side.

[5]

Looking over the ground between the tower and the attackers' camp, you can see the remnants of a silk tent and torn banners from each side. It appears to have been the site of some sort of negotiation. The earth around the tent is peppered primarily with arrows, along with a handful of crossbow bolts. There are a number of dead redcoated soldiers around the tent; only two of the dead there are from Greenhaven. On the tower, you can make out faint scorch-marks which appear to have been caused about a year ago, more or less.

As for the sides, the redcoated stag-bearers appear to be mostly militia troops, peasants without much experience or training, poorly armed and armored. Perhaps eight of their melee troops have proper mail. You also note that their ranged troops are using crossbows, indicating that they don't have the time or fund to put into the training required to produce excellent archers. The Greenhaven troops, on the other hand, all wear mail and heraldic surcoats, save for the longbowmen in the tower. They don't all move like experienced soldiers, but they are all equipped like them.

+2 XP
____

Lei

You reach out, brushing the thoughts of the four cloaked figures in the stand of trees.

[4]

Three appear to be concerned about the fourth, while the fourth is concentrating intently on the tower. You register hints of desire and desperation directed that way, as well as a hint of well-wishing for the redcoated attackers.
____

Hedric

Always ready to make a copper, you hurry towards the cloaked figures, completely unconcerned with stealth. Standing behind them, you clear your throat and offer to sell them a fine poison, holding up the large green flask.

[4]

The shortest of the four chuckles, asking, "You do realize that is about as far from poison as you can get, no? Still, I'll give you a fair price, as soon as I have my laboratory back."

The tallest figure continues to ignore you, staring at the tower. The other two do the same, though you think you can hear a muttered "fool" from where they stand.
____

Mina

Watching the battle, it [4] seems fairly clear that while the attackers under the stag banner have numbers on their side, the Greenhaven defenders have already worn them down while taking relatively insubstantial losses. At the moment, the last defending men-at-arms are holding a narrow ramp leading to the thick, iron-bound doors of the tower. Though the attackers are pressing them sorely, the defenders look as if they will be able to hold their position, provided nothing else affects the battle.
____

[1]

None of the cloaked figures or the embattled soldiers notice the flash of light or Sinterous' cry.

[5]

The tallest of the four and one of their companions feel the magical snap as Derm's magic fails; the former glances briefly at the ridge behind which most of you are in defilade while the latter stares intently for quite some time.
____

In the clash between the two sides at the foot of the tower, two of the defenders are pushed from the ramp and fallen upon by multiple foes. Five of the attackers are cut down, and one of the isolated men-at-arms manages to stab another before being killed. Crossbow bolts strike home, killing another of the defenders, while one of the attackers is hit by friendly fire. One of the longbowmen on the roof of the tower topples from the battlements clawing at the bolt in his throat. A return volley from the longbowmen strikes down three of the crossbowmen.

((Yes, I am keeping track of the hard numbers for each side.))

3. Run Resize Enable

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: August 13, 2012, 11:16:51 am »

"Grah!"

That... had not gone to plan. Derm growled at the stubborn refusal of his magic. "I LIKED that field you motherfucker! hmm, time for improvements!"

Regain power of flight, x'cept right proper flight this time. No mukkin about!

HP: 29/30
MP: 23/41

« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 11:46:09 am by dermonster »
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #365 on: August 13, 2012, 11:25:49 am »

Currently, Mina had no idea who was on whose' side.
"So, who's on who's side?"
She looked up at Talendir, hoping for an accurate if rough reply.

"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Progress :: Where's a Strider When You Need One?
« Reply #366 on: August 13, 2012, 11:30:08 am »

Talendir scratches his chin. From the looks of the scene, the redcoated soldiers seem to have been attacked cowardly during the negotiation by the Greenhaven soldiers. He could be wrong, but the evidence points that way, and he doesn't lean into believing human kindness and honor. Combat needs not honor.

"From the looks of it, the redcoated soldiers are mostly peasants, and they were betrayed during their negotiations. The Greenhaven ones are not all experienced, but they have the advantage of superior equipment. I don't think there is a 'correct' or 'good' side here...but the Greenhaven soldiers were probably treacherous."

"Fighting for any of them would be taking sides, and I don't think it would be safe to do it without the knowledge of what is taking place here, beneath this battle."

"Does any of you magic users have a way to get the combatants unconscious or disabled until we can understand what exactly is happening?"

« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 05:03:04 pm by Caellath »
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: August 13, 2012, 11:32:44 am »

"Gimme a minute, gotta get airborne again. I'll think of something."

I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #368 on: August 13, 2012, 11:40:48 am »

"Maybe we could sweep in and equally knock everyone of their feet. Fairness and stuff. Hit them from the right." Mina pauses. "Aaaaand that would be wrong. Don't know what got into me. It won't help us either, unless one side decides to reward us for killing their troops..."

(I suppose it's sunny?)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: August 13, 2012, 11:45:04 am »

(I suppose it's sunny?)
((It's a fairly clear day; a few clouds in the sky at most. So yep. Speaking of which, you've healed to full health during travel.))

3. Run Resize Enable

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: August 13, 2012, 01:31:02 pm »

"Well, I could call down a storm. If I could get some help, I might be able to make it big and scary enough to get them away."
Birds-eye view.

Maxinum McDreich

• Bay Watcher
  • Gree-diddly-tings.
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: August 13, 2012, 05:01:33 pm »

Lei glowered facing away from them, Mina's quieter tone making her simmer. Aero's words were no help at all, since he was part of the problem to her. In that time, people died, and it was making her sick. She didn't know what to do, she had never been in anything like this before. Hedric's brazen acts as he approached the cloaked figures was strange and, thankfully, non-fatal.

Talendir's assessment of the situation made Lei want to know further of the fourth's intentions. She examined him further to see what exactly he was wanting to gain. More importantly, she wanted to know how to make them stop fighting.

borno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: August 14, 2012, 12:45:00 am »

((Are you keeping tabs on how much money we all have?  :P))
Hedric's face starts to go red.
"Uh, yes. I'll, uh, meet you once you find your laboratory?"
He then turns around, running to the downed wizard.
"You tricked me! Now I look like a fool in front of those assassins! They'll probably want a cheaper price because of that whole mix-up!"

"You better pay for all the money I might of lost!"
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 12:47:19 am by borno »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: August 14, 2012, 12:33:54 pm »

((Are you keeping tabs on how much money we all have?  :P))
((I am. As it stands, you're the only one with any money at all. So yeah, good luck extorting your party members.  :P))

3. Run Resize Enable

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: August 15, 2012, 11:14:50 am »

Derm

Weaving energy throughout your body, you [4] push off and rise close to fifteen feet in the air, drifting back down in a steep arc. You realize that you don't have an effective way to generate lift; your arms are too skinny to flap like a bird.

-7 MP
____

Aero

You beat your wings, rising past Derm's attempt at flight.

[3]

Unfortunately, the glare of the sun prevents you from seeing any better than you could on the ground.
____

Lei

Skimming the tall man's thoughts, you [5] discover that he is concerned about the tower, and to a lesser extent the redcoated soldiers; he appears to have some sort of alliance or agreement with them.

____

Hedric hurries back, blustering at Sinterous as the latter smolders on the ground, completely unresponsive. As Talendir, Mina, Derm, and Aero discuss the situation, another two of the attackers die, spilling more blood across the ramp. One of the defenders loses his sword-hand moments before his helmet and skull are crushed by a mace.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 12:52:24 pm by Flying Dice »

3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 36