Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Individual Training Drill? I want them to spar. D:  (Read 4011 times)

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Individual Training Drill? I want them to spar. D:
« on: June 03, 2012, 08:11:25 pm »

I set my military to train in the barracks. Instead of sparring, they go into an "Individual Combat Drill".
How do I make 'em spar?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Individual Training Drill? I want them to spar. D:
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2012, 08:18:16 pm »

Give them time. Also, putting them on active alert helps ;P

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2012, 09:16:30 pm »

Yeah, it sounds like your military isn't set to "active/training" in the alerts screen, so all that they will do at the moment is individual drills.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2012, 10:21:24 pm »

Do they have Civilian professions (Mason, Carpenter, Farmer, etc.) or Military professions (Recruit, Wrestler, Axedwarf, etc.)? If the former, you haven't actually ordered them to start training; if the latter, just wait a while - they'll eventually start training.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Thorik

• Bay Watcher
  • Inspector of Conspicuous Cheeto Consumption
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 01:44:20 am »

Can't they injure themselves if they spar?  Who wants to deal with assigning training weapons either.
I like sushi.

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2012, 01:56:22 am »

Can't they injure themselves if they spar?  Who wants to deal with assigning training weapons either.

I WANT BLOOD.

WriterX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2012, 02:04:26 am »

I WANT BLOOD.

*casts Tantrum on one of your Dwarves*

You are welcome.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2012, 02:19:52 am »

Back in earlier versions, many dwarves killed each other in sparring. Now it's just light taps. I don't think they can hurt each other any more, but I'm not too sure as usually I use arenas with captured goblins.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2012, 02:34:51 am »

No, in new version sparring can be dangerous. Just minute ago I got raport like "dwarf 1 attacks dwarf 2 with sword lightly tapping target! dwarf 2 skids in floor bruising leg" or something like this. I noticed same thing, skidding, when something big hits to something little. I guess that feature is made as part of minecart-damage-system.

caddybear

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2012, 04:12:32 am »

Well when training for combat, accidents happen.
And then did ARMOK say, the east is the holiest of directions, and thou shouldst not stand there lest thou be strucketh down by my holiest of beards. And then did the dorfs did say, we shall build from the west, for more do we fear the beard of ARMOK than the strike of the elephant.

WriterX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2012, 04:18:07 am »

*Urist McHero taps Urist McRecruit with Legendary Artifact to the chest*

*Urist McRecruit flies off from the impact!*

*Urist McRecruit's head meets Urist McStoneWall*

*Urist McRecruit's head cracks open, brain spilling out*

*Urist McHero considers a job change*

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2012, 04:18:42 am »

@Matoro
Even if that does happen, at least it's not as bad as 40d's "live fire" training which was indistinguishable from actual combat. I remember back when we threw untrained infantry up against goblin ambushes because it was actually safer then having them train where they might end up against Urist McHulk legendary military-everything lurking in the corner.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

oven_baked

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2012, 05:39:22 am »

I haven't had any sparing accidents.
May training scheme is to have "min-2 training" in squads of 3, In larger squads i station some by my entrance so that the training group should spar.
The ones by the entrance get some training when a kobold wanders in, you would think the blood stains would warn them...
We just need to get Toady to embed a Lisp interpreter into DF.  Learning lambda calculus in order to play the game wouldn't make DF's learning curve much steeper.

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
  • Took joy in ‼SCIENCE‼ lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2012, 08:19:00 am »

I haven't had any sparing accidents.
May training scheme is to have "min-2 training" in squads of 3, In larger squads i station some by my entrance so that the training group should spar.
The ones by the entrance get some training when a kobold wanders in, you would think the blood stains would warn them...

Someone recently taught me that you can give multiple orders to a squad for a single month.  So now I use 10-dwarf squads with 5x "Train (2 minimum)" orders, to hopefully allow lots of sparring.  Although I have also heard that sparring happens more often when the skills of the partners are closely matched, so I'm going by a lotta hearsay here...

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2012, 08:32:29 am »

Can't they injure themselves if they spar?
Nope. Not unless the skidding gets really bad, and I have yet to see that happen in my newest fort.  It may be happening, but I haven't seen it.

Who wants to deal with assigning training weapons either.
Edit the uniforms to use the weapon of choice.  I also create a Recruit uniform that includes nothing but a shied and training weapon.  Then the magic happens: m -> e -> select squad -> U -> select uniform to use -> Shift+Enter (sets the entire squad to use that uniform).  Whats that? You want to change your all dagger squad in leather armor to a metal wearing spear unit?  No problem -- edit the metal uniform (I renamed it to Regulars) so it has the weapon desired, then m -> e -> select squad -> U -> select Regulars -> Shift+Enter, and watch all ten dwarves drop their daggers and leather armor in the halls and rush to pick up spears and metal armor (assuming you have some available).
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"
Pages: [1] 2