Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Good Kids Games - Getting them hooked young  (Read 7434 times)

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Good Kids Games - Getting them hooked young
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2012, 08:27:35 pm »

Getting some good advice here! Thinking back on it, I remeber my first game was Super Mario Bros 3, used to play it with my mum every day during my brothers nap time. I asked my mom actually and I was about 3 1/2 when I started that, so maybe I'll hook the wii back up.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2012, 07:08:44 am »

The "Super Solvers" was my childhood! I adored those games and played them, and played them, and played them. Plus, they make you learn something in the meantime. I'll vouch for the Treasure Mountain series, as well as Midnight Rescue and Gizmos and Gadgets. Check here.

Go go fun but educational!

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2012, 07:31:42 am »

When i was a kid i played on the C64 using that tape thingy.

Bubble Bobble ETC.

As for kids games...
Pokemon are always kid friendly but might not work well if she's didn't watch the show.
The Sims (it's almost like playing with dolls).
Tetris (works with 90 year old grandmas so it should work with a 3 year old kid as well).
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

SeaBee

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolves are atheists
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2012, 07:35:09 am »

The first PC game that really addicted me was Civil War Strategy ... it was also the first game I modded (simple CSV files made this easy). My first game overall was a text-based Star Trek game, coded via copying from a hard cover book on an old Atari. (Anyone remember doing that? It was actually really fun, I should try to find that book again ... blew my mind as a kid, thought I was real hot stuff.) I had a great time working on that with my uncles in between watching classic original Star Trek episodes.

First normal console game was Super Mario Bros. on the NES, but as fun as it was I wouldn't say it was special to me. It really depends on the kid and his/her interests, though. I loved simulators and wargames, fell in love with some RPGs later. Never really enjoyed platformers.

Er, anyway, just sharing my thoughts as an older gamer; I completely missed the Pokemon craze, so my opinions are probably outdated by a generation or two. This is a worthy goal, however, and I'd be interested in hearing how it goes :)

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2012, 07:43:16 am »

My 2 yr old and 5 yr old love Wii Party, Wii Play, and Wii Sports/Sports Resort. Recently Mario Cart has been added to that list...
This is a blank sig.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2012, 07:49:25 am »

Starcraft was my first RTS, and it was loads of fun.

Granted, I was cheating, and in brood war, indoctrinated both the zerg and terran while the god mode cheat was active to construct their buildings, but yeah, I was young.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2012, 08:48:49 am »

My 2 yr old and 5 yr old love Wii Party, Wii Play, and Wii Sports/Sports Resort. Recently Mario Cart has been added to that list...
I agree with these games. They don't require extensive reading, and you can usually play around with them for lots of fun. And every kid loves Mario Kart. You get to drive a car and throw turtles shells. That's like every kid's dream.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2012, 09:08:14 am »

Heroes of Magic and Might III! It was my absolute favorite game as a little kid - the basics are relatively easy to understand and it's a very memorable game, one that really sticks with you. It should be great for hooking them on to TBS games.
I can personally attest to this. Awesome game.

For a 3 year old I would suggest something very simplistic, maybe a shooter with godmode on, so she would develop some skills in using the mouse. Or you could play a strategy game together. You take care of the complex stuff, and let her make the choices. OTTD maybe, she might like watching the trains come and go, and in the end she might want to learn to play by herself.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

Wayward Device

• Bay Watcher
  • Has no dealings with the incarnations of gods
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2012, 11:18:41 am »

For a 3 year old I would suggest something very simplistic, maybe a shooter with godmode on, so she would develop some skills in using the mouse. Or you could play a strategy game together. You take care of the complex stuff, and let her make the choices. OTTD maybe, she might like watching the trains come and go, and in the end she might want to learn to play by herself.

I've got really strong memories of playing sim city 2000 with my dad exactly like this, form when I was about 4 or 5. Good times.
or maybe Valve goes out of business because they invested too heavily in something which then fails - like, say, human civilization.
Alternatively, initiate strife to refuse additional baked goods, and then abscond.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2012, 11:24:00 am »

The "Super Solvers" was my childhood! I adored those games and played them, and played them, and played them. Plus, they make you learn something in the meantime. I'll vouch for the Treasure Mountain series, as well as Midnight Rescue and Gizmos and Gadgets. Check here.

Go go fun but educational!

AH! those were the ones I was thinking of, THANKS!

kulik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2012, 11:46:45 am »

Amnesia: The Dark Descent  ;)

On a more serious note, i think it would be better to hook her on something more skill-evolving than video games. Dance, sports, nature, art...  Games are ok, but in that age there are things on which she could profit more than games.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2012, 11:48:21 am »

Mario Kart Double Dash is probably the best one in the series to play with a kid. Also, anyone remember those Humongous Entertainment adventure games? Y'know, Putt Putt, Freddy Fish, Pajama Sam and Spy Fox? Those are great for kids too, and can be played with very little reading ability (pretty much anywhere there's text, you can mouse over it and it will be read aloud for you). I listed them in order of difficulty, the Putt Putt games are advertised as being for ages 3-8 and the Spy Fox games as being for ages 5-10.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2012, 11:53:45 am »

I'm actually gonna go with Bastion here.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2012, 12:18:14 pm »

Rollercoaster Tycoon is always a good game to get them hooked on sim-games. They get to build their own rollercoasters, run their own park, and it's sometimes fun to watch as well. Plus, it can get them hooked on rollercoasters IRL when they reach appropriate height eventually.

Plus, little would they be aware, they'd be learning a few tricks here and there; business, efficiency, making people happy while still benefitting from it, creativity of design (rollercoasters and landscape; and through trial and error, learn what works and doesn't work (intensity, operation, excitement)), maintaining funds; the list goes on. I loved the game when I was young when it first came out, still love it today, and I want to go on so many different types of coasters still, many I didn't know existed before (to the point I previously had to wait for a summer block on TLC to learn of more coasters and get 1st person views of the rides). Tropico (1 and 3/4) is a close second for this, since they're maintaining their own island nation/paradise.

I would agree with Tetris, mostly for critical thinking, and when competing, being able to act quickly (and come up with rather creative cursing/trash talk).

For turn-based games with some educational value, Civilization is always good to play, RTS, Age of Empires; and for Sci-Fi levels, Master of Orion (though that's not as much for education, rather than awesome classic sci-fi goodness; however, if you play diplomatically, you can learn to negotiate in both this and Civ). Starcon is always a recommended favorite for it's sheer entertainment and storyline value alone. Back in the days, the Ur-Quan used to scare me, but nowadays, they're one of my favorite villains/races in any game. Especially having replayed the game as an adult; they're so complex, conflicted, and surprisingly, one of the nicest bad guys I've ever gotten to know. I mean, you just ask them why they're enslaving the galaxy, they'll tell you their whole tragic story.

Where economy and tactics are concerned, X-Com (UFO to Apoc, and maybe the Firaxis reimagine). I mean, you can't always trust the governments to keep you funded, so you must budget and fund yourself, and maintain guys you end up caring about because they become hardcore; oh yeah, and if they die, they can never come back. You'll learn to appreciate what you have, especially once they're gone (and you screw yourself over). X-Com is also quite fun to watch.

Flight simulators, you can never go wrong with the X-Wing series and Crimson Skies (just keep the pinups your character has hidden for young eyes). But yeah, who doesn't like Star Wars, flying through space, dogfighting, and where CS is concerned, 1930s (alternate timeline) hotrods of the sky and crazy-ass maneuvering, and zepplins? Flight Simulator (with enough custom content as well) is always fun to learn how to fly some real planes as well (depending on simulation settings, and how much you actually learned about planes (I once had a roommate that was learning how to be a pilot; made Flight Simulator that much more interesting; I actually learned how to fly a plane in the process, including navigation. One time, when actually in a plane with them, I got to take the yoke, and try out flying. It's so not like driving a car (although with enough experience, it does eventually become so.), however, I got to know/understand most of what I was being explained/told.)).

These games I have been introduced to young, and am still a die-hard fan of them. They're some of my favorite games, and many of them aged quite well. I mean, even Rollercoaster Tycoon and Age of Empires (2 especially) still has amazing graphics that can even be relevant to today's standards (it would even work as an iPad game) and mistaken as a recent release still.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 12:39:45 pm by Itnetlolor »

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2012, 12:41:55 pm »

Tropico (1 and 3/4) is a close second for this, since they're maintaining their own island nation/paradise.

Starcon is always a recommended favorite for it's sheer entertainment and storyline value alone. Back in the days, the Ur-Quan used to scare me, but nowadays, they're one of my favorite villains/races in any game. Especially having replayed the game as an adult; they're so complex, conflicted, and surprisingly, one of the nicest bad guys I've ever gotten to know. I mean, you just ask them why they're enslaving the galaxy, they'll tell you their whole tragic story.

...X-Com (UFO to Apoc, and maybe the Firaxis reimagine). I mean, you can't always trust the governments to keep you funded, so you must budget and fund yourself, and maintain guys you end up caring about because they become hardcore; oh yeah, and if they die, they can never come back. You'll learn to appreciate what you have, especially once they're gone (and you screw yourself over). X-Com is also quite fun to watch.
My daughter recently turned 3...
I'm not sure if all of those are kids games, heh. Especially Xcom.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4