Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Good Kids Games - Getting them hooked young  (Read 7433 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Good Kids Games - Getting them hooked young
« Reply #45 on: June 04, 2012, 12:29:58 am »

Let's see, what did I start with...

I believe my first game was either Super Mario World or Super Metroid. I know I adored both, but the opening scene of Super Metroid scared me and made me cry ;_; (I was 5 :P). I later became what I now realize a child prodigy at Super Metroid, having the ability to wall-jump repeatedly off of a single wall at the age of 8 where most players apparently can't wall-jump at all. Naturally, I never had the logic to figure out that the big red guy moves forward instead of backward when you power-bomb him, so I didn't beat him until I was ~11, which was 3 years, a very long time for an 11-year-old. Naturally, at that point I quickly got through and beat the game, then started glitching. I currently have a save that has been reset glitched more than 5 times on my cartridge, wherever that may be.

I was also pretty good at Super Mario World, which I remember beating at the age of 5 (No, seriously. I have a memory of being at a friend's house, a friend I only had in kindergarten, beating Super Mario World, then playing that one game with the dice cascader whatsit).

Seriously, though. I started gaming on Super Mario World, LoZ:ALttP, Super Metroid, Pac-Man 2, Super Mario RPG, Phalanx, Assault Suits Valken/Cybernator, Total Carnage, Metal Gear Solid (though not for long), Hot Shots Golf 2, Spyro games, and holy shit I remember a lot of childhood games.

Out of those, I recommend Super Mario World, A Link to the Past and SMRPG the most. The latter two are pretty text-heavy, which might seem like a downside, but I learned how to read from text-heavy games. I would ask my mom "what does that say?" and remember it from there.

(I also learned how to read at some level by the age of ~2-3, though, so...)

EDIT: Sparkster, *leans over to look at Super Nintendo games* Batman Returns (great final fight clone), Yoshi's Island (OH MY YES), Zombies Ate My Neighbors (So many classics I always played!), Super Mario Kart, Donkey Kong Country...
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 12:33:13 am by Putnam »

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 04, 2012, 11:14:01 am »

I just this second remembered Rayman: Origins. Another excellent platformer that's simple enough kids of any age can enjoy it. Coop up to four players, and immense fun.

Tyler6498

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 04, 2012, 11:31:12 am »

Dwarf Fortress is probably the biggest family-oriented game currently in existence, Toady saw the fall of traditional family values and had to create a game to help restore them. Your child will learn how to read and add words such as "Urist, Magma, FUN, Fun, Anvil, Death and much much more! Vocabulary isn't the only thing your child will experience on this wacky ride! They will also learn how to manage a kingdom which can be converted into business ethics, such as when is the right time to pour magma on a rival business or slaughter hippies just because they loathe your tree cutting obsessions! Why wait to order this fabulous product when it is currently free! Just pay shipping and handling! (Also free!)

Here is a word for word of someone who used out product: (Totally is.)
"I am highly satisfied with my purchase of Dwarf Fortress and life just couldn't possibly be better, I've grown back my hair and feel stronger than ever. I especially love how the game is an opener to deeper subjects like "How is babby formed." *Light chuckle* In all, I couldn't possibly see my life without it! *Creepy grin* Thank you Toady!
I play adventure mode because it's hard and when I play, I am too.
I believe we're talking about full scale colonisation here.  You don't just leave all your shit in the van when you move house.

alamoes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 04, 2012, 05:39:33 pm »

It's sad to say, but pokemon taught me to read.  That's why the guy in veridian city was sideways!  Stupid game took me months to figure that out...  I was four (or three, fine five >:{ ) at the time  :P

Editses (I learned alot from the pokemanz):Something similar (ok maybe not) to videogames would be to learn an instrument.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 05:56:54 pm by alamoes »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]