Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Good Kids Games - Getting them hooked young  (Read 7436 times)

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Good Kids Games - Getting them hooked young
« on: June 02, 2012, 07:22:01 pm »

Ok, so here's the thing. My daughter recently turned 3, and she's started really getting interested in the computer and consoles and everything. So I think it's time to get her hooked. Any good kids games you guys know of for that age group (educational or non)? I remeber a few games when I was a kid with a kid with a red cap, and an evil doctor and such, but I think those are for a bit older kids anyways.
Thanks for your input!

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
Re: Good Kids Games - Getting them hooked young
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 07:27:05 pm »

I really liked chip's challenge when I was a kid. I dunno how well it's aged, but.

Pokemon is always a decent game, on top of being very kid friendly. It may fend off the eventual discussion about getting a pet too. :P

other then that, not really sure. All of my younger cousins have grown by now. Ummm.... I remember my cousin liking Pikmin. Might look into that, especially since gamecubes are now like, 50 dollars used, at least around here. A great deal.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 07:36:48 pm »

Pokemon games require a bit of reading to play, though.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2012, 07:41:32 pm »

May as well start early!

I know I got a bit of a head start on reading just because I kept asking what random signs on the road said when I was in the car, and english has been my best subject.

Although that is a good point, be aware that pokemon may require you to read for them whenever they're playing.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2012, 07:44:07 pm »

Any of the lego series games are great for kids. If you've never played them they're basically platformers with some light puzzle solving and enemy bashing. Really easy to understand, simple controls, no penalty for dying or failing anything. They also all (or at least nearly all) have drop-in split screen coop and are fun enough games that you'll enjoy playing them too. You can get them for pretty much any console and PC too.

The Viva Pinyata games for the xbox 360 are amazing, though I dunno how much fun a three year old would get out of them. You basically raise and sell loads of different pinyata animals. I think the second one has coop but I can't remember.

I seem to remember Toy Story 3: The game being good. Another coop one that isn't too difficult. It's nothing amazing, but as far as movie tie-ins aimed at kids I remember it being enjoyable.

There's probobly hoards of them on the Wii, but I've not touched mine in years and don't think I ever played any kids games on it.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2012, 07:46:20 pm »

The first game I ever played was Super Mario 64.
I'm pretty sure that any of the main Mario titles would be appropriate.

The Legend of Zelda games are much darker, and need pretty good reading comprehension, but I'd recommend them as well.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2012, 07:48:04 pm »

I'll second the reccomendation for the lego games, lego star wars was a blast when me and a friend were playing it, and definitely very kid friendly.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2012, 07:48:59 pm »

If you get any of the Wii Lego games, get one of the ones with the non-screenlocked splitscreen, like Indiana Jones (I think the second one, maybe the first). The ones that require you to be on the same screen are nice for guiding the other person, but if you have a small screen that can get rather pushy quickly. being able to just divade the screen when you get too far apart is much more fun, I'd say. (though we mostly just used that to fly planes at each other :)
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2012, 07:58:11 pm »

Any NES game. All of them (except the sexual games, darn those guys).

Balloon Fight, SMB3, Donkey Kong, Pac Man, Galaga, Space Invaders, Tank 1990, Tetris, etc.

If you're in the right area, it isn't too hard to buy a NES clone and some x in one bootleg cartridges.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2012, 08:00:06 pm »

If you happen to have an N64, Paper Mario is a great first RPG. I think it may be on WiiWare too. Or heck, just download an emulator. Since it's mostly a turn-based game you won't be annoyed very often by playing on a keyboard.

Mario World on the SNES gets hard, but I like the way the co-op works.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Un67

• Bay Watcher
  • Zombies good Artificial Intelligence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2012, 08:01:51 pm »

Heroes of Magic and Might III! It was my absolute favorite game as a little kid - the basics are relatively easy to understand and it's a very memorable game, one that really sticks with you. It should be great for hooking them on to TBS games.

Dirg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2012, 08:09:57 pm »

The scribblenaut games for the ds might be worth a shot.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2012, 08:12:09 pm »

I believe the Sims series would be good.
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

Dirg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2012, 08:13:56 pm »

Also possibly one of the nintendog games, avoid if you don't want to talk about getting pets, or could be used as todays "pet rock".

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2012, 08:15:27 pm »

Seconding Scribblenaut games. Excellent way to get them introduced to reading, and they're fairly fun games to boot.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4