Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Music Workshop Producing Happy Gas  (Read 2828 times)

Uronym

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Music Workshop Producing Happy Gas
« on: June 02, 2012, 10:06:39 am »

Would it be possible to make a music workshop (such as Sirocco's piano workshop) that took, say, sheet music and some musician dude, and when you do the Play Piano reaction, cause some sort of item, "music", to be generated, which has a very low boiling point, causing it to immediately turn into gas, and thus spread around and do something to nearby dwarves, like heal them, sate their alcohol dependency, make them work a little faster, heal them, make them fight better, anything like that?

It would be very cool if you could have a piano in your dining hall to cheer up unhappy dwarves, or to keep them working fast when short of alcohol, or perhaps play an invigorating piece in the barracks before the soldiers charge into battle, making them a little stronger, perhaps just enough to beat the goblins... Or maybe, have cheery tunes played in the hospital to... uhh.. repair compound fractures/nerve damage? Or help soldiers walk off their wounds after a hard fight? Perhaps also you could play in your industrial center, helping dwarves make higher quality goods, or faster, or something.

Would any of that be possible? I'm not an expert at modding but I think you could use the new interactions to increase their speed temporarily at least.
What I think we're saying is we need dwarves to riot and break things more often.

Logic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Music Workshop Producing Happy Gas
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 10:16:18 am »

I think you can increase speed, but I don't think the other things are possible without transforming them into other things.

Uronym

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 10:41:15 am »

Would said speed increase affect working/fighting speeds? If so, it might be pretty good for what I described.. and if this is possible, can you tell me how?
What I think we're saying is we need dwarves to riot and break things more often.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2012, 11:58:48 am »

Speed increase increases ALL speed.

It's a simple syndrome token, CE_SPEED_CHANGE.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2012, 12:01:52 pm »

if it can be used as a weapon, then the instruments make sense.

can we have bagpipes?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

leafbarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident pokemon fanboy
    • View Profile
    • Mewtwo mod
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2012, 02:52:03 pm »

I'd suggest looking for the waterfall mist data. If you can find that, adding a happy thought effect at the very least will be fairly simple, I'd think.
Quote from: leafbarrett
They can do whatever the heck they want. That's why they are nobles, cause they CAN.
King Henry the IV or something had a lot of wives, most of whom he executed. Because he could.
A ton of them mass-murdered Jews and Muslims. CAUSE THEY COULD.
A roman emperor made his horse a noble, cause he could.
And I modded them all out of existence, because I could.
sig text

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2012, 09:43:08 pm »

I'd suggest looking for the waterfall mist data. If you can find that, adding a happy thought effect at the very least will be fairly simple, I'd think.

There is none. Happy thought effects are impossible. All thought and fluid related things are hard-coded.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2012, 09:48:18 pm »

can't you alter Mental stats through syndromes? say temp remove depression, and up optimisim?

EDIT:
nvm those are personallity traits.

Uronym

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2012, 02:59:25 pm »

(sorry if this is a little old)

So how would I go about making sheet music? I don't really care what you make it with or where, just how would I define the object?

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2012, 03:08:32 pm »

Custom tool,toy,instument. Just make a custom "Item"

Uronym

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2012, 03:13:09 pm »

Wait, what? How do I do that?

Does it have to be of an already defined item type? And if, say, I were to make it a toy/instrument, would a generic "Make rock instruments" job possibly create sheet music? I'd prefer that it isn't that way; I'd like sheet music to be used at the piano (but preserved in the reaction) to generate happy music gas.

EDIT:

To be a little more specific, I'd also like it to only be able to be made out of paper; how could I do that? And would there be a way to have different "kinds" of music, like "sheets of Bach music [20]" or "sheets of happy music [20]"?
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 03:16:24 pm by Uronym »

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2012, 03:16:53 pm »

Then make it a custom tool (you fully customizable) and a custom reacation to make sheet music.

Uronym

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2012, 03:37:20 pm »

I thank you for your assistance, Hugo_The_Dwarf! Would this work? I think I have everything but the item produced that evaporates into happy music gas, which goes in reaction_piano, right? How would I define that?

Spoiler: In building_piano.txt (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: In item_piano.txt (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: In reaction_piano.txt (click to show/hide)

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2012, 03:44:09 pm »

reaction_piano

[OBJECT:REACTION]

[REACTION:PLAY_PIANO]
   [NAME:play piano]
   [BUILDING:PIANO:CUSTOM_P]
   [REAGENT:sheet:1:ITEM_TOOL_SHEETMUSIC:NONE] --- this is incorrect
      [CAN_USE_ARTIFACT]
      [PRESERVE_REAGENT]
   [PRODUCT:100:1:MUSIC:NONE] --- also incorrect
   [SKILL:CONCENTRATION]
   [SKILL:COORDINATION]
   [SKILL:READER]

[REAGENT:sheet:1:TOOL:ITEM_TOOL_SHEETMUSIC:NONE:NONE] --- this is correct
   [PRODUCT:100:1:BOULDER:NONE:INORGANIC:MUSIC] --- correct

you will need an inoganic item named MUSIC and has the inhaled syndromes you want on it. also boiling at a low temp

Uronym

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2012, 04:29:32 pm »

Switched out the lines for reaction_piano.txt... and here's the music. It's supposed to immediately evaporate and speed up stuff as well as change some attributes for a day after being inhaled.

Spoiler: In inorganic_piano.txt (click to show/hide)
Pages: [1] 2