Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 16

Author Topic: "Getting Started with Dwarf Fortress" - it's out!  (Read 91175 times)

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: "Getting Started with Dwarf Fortress" - it's out!
« Reply #180 on: July 03, 2012, 06:02:19 pm »

If you need something done for sure, turn everything else off.
Or enable the labor for everyone.
And sometimes even that can have to wait until they are done sleeping/eating/drinking/taking a break/admiring a +table+.

*sigh*
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

vehka

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: July 04, 2012, 10:31:04 am »

I don't remember the exact details, but apparently the way Therapist works makes it look like malicious code of some kind, so Ubuntu would refuse to let it run. I think the solution involved either logging in as root or doing something complicated in the command-line before every time you started Therapist. It may have been fixed since, but I wouldn't know.

Definitely fixed. The program does need superuser authentication, but it can be started with normal user permissions, with no special command-line-fu required.

Hatch Cover

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: July 07, 2012, 08:26:18 pm »

I bought the digital copy of the book.

It is well done and I find it useful. I wish I had a print copy too, but if I ever get a kindle, digital should be just as good.

Would have liked to see some of the formulas, such as for weapon damage and material density, but I understand that this is a 'getting started' guide. I wish I had had this before instead of having to trudge through the wiki.

NYDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: July 10, 2012, 01:06:27 pm »

Yeah, I checked this out since the trading post was never being made. It need the architect skill, which was not given to no one, since I was following the book and it didn't say to add the architect skill. Now I guess I'm stuck.

Show all dwarves with the "u" key. Pick one with the up/down arrows. Hit the "c" key to show that dwarf's info. Now, hit "p" and then "l" which will show a list of labors. Click the +/- keys and the Enter/Esc keys to find the Building Designer skill, then hit Enter to make that skill bright white.

Now you have an Architect.

Took ages to figure that out when I didn't start with one. Now it's second nature (30+ hours in).

Cheers!

NYDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: July 10, 2012, 01:09:00 pm »

I am wholly and entirely "dependent" on dwarf therapist and I'll admit it. But to call it "bad advice" to reccomend that new player simply try it to see if he likes it defies all logic.

Dwarf Therapist is not for a newbie. I'm a very computer literate newbie (been a software engineer for decades), but getting DT running on my Mac was not really possible. I did finally get the "MacNewbie" pack working (with 0.34.11), and DT is part of that, but DT doesn't work reliably, unfortunately.

I agree, DT is not a newbie tool, and is well outside the scope of the book - which is the topic of this thread.

TinyPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: July 17, 2012, 07:50:06 am »

Hi all! I've submitted an update to O'Reilly today which includes all of the bugs here (er, I hope so) and others reported to me through the book's errata page on O'Reilly and in other places. The update should be alerted to people in two or three weeks.

If you're an O'Reilly ebook owner and use DropBox I believe you can snych your O'Reilly purchases to DropBox and get them updated automatically? Pretty cool feature I reckon!

NYDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: July 20, 2012, 10:45:13 am »

Hi all! I've submitted an update to O'Reilly today which includes all of the bugs here

Out of curiosity, what's the source code for the book written in?

Cheers...

Anathema

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: July 20, 2012, 12:24:44 pm »

Would have liked to see some of the formulas, such as for weapon damage and material density, but I understand that this is a 'getting started' guide. I wish I had had this before instead of having to trudge through the wiki.

Actually, no one except Toady knows what the real formulas used in the game are. With the help of raw modding, arena testing, and a dose of real life knowledge, we can make and test hypotheses like: the velocity of a weapon type increases its damage, or: the density of a metal improves its performance for blunt weapons. But you won't see a formula anywhere like: blunt weapon damage = velocity^2 * density * ... etc. All we have are broad assumptions based on ingame performance.

Then again maybe I'm being pedantic and you didn't mean actual formulas, you just wanted to see statements like "metal density improves blunt weapons, and here are the weapon metals in order of density .." - in which case I agree, it would've been nice to see that kind of information buried in an appendix somewhere.

That being said, I have the hard copy and think it's awesome. It's worth it imo just to have as a decoration/conversation starter, something physical to point friends towards, not to mention for the information contained within (even as a longtime player, I learned one or two things skimming through it, particularly regarding newer content that I haven't played with as much).
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 12:31:22 pm by Anathema »
The good news is that ghosts die of old age.

TinyPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: July 21, 2012, 07:03:17 am »

Out of curiosity, what's the source code for the book written in?

ASCIIDoC, using NotePad++. ASCIIDoc is pretty similar to wiki markup language and quite easy to use once you get the hang of it. For example, *bold*, *+fixed width bold+*, 'italics', == Heading 2.

O'Reilly likes their authors to use Subversion to submit their work and update when their editors make changes. Also, when I submit an edit, I can type in an instruction that results in a PDF automatically being generated - which I can then update to and view. Quite handy.

Once one is happy with the writing the editors go through and do their editing as well as putting in more complex markup that creates page breaks in the right place and does other clever things.

mushroom_ff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: July 25, 2012, 09:08:23 pm »

I got a quick question about the amazon version of this.

When you say that amazon don't have the "real time" update, does that mean that they won't ever update their version when a new one comes out, or that they will just update it in their own time? I just got mine from there before realizing that. :-[

If not, does that mean I have to do the upgrade thing from the O'Reilly site?

By the way, great job putting all the info together.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 09:11:02 pm by mushroom_ff »

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: July 25, 2012, 11:39:47 pm »

When upgrades are made to the ebook by O'Reilly then Amazon should upgrade what they sell, but not necessarily what you have already bought.
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"

Jahsg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: July 25, 2012, 11:56:32 pm »

TinyPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: July 26, 2012, 05:14:47 am »

When upgrades are made to the ebook by O'Reilly then Amazon should upgrade what they sell, but not necessarily what you have already bought.

This :)

mushroom_ff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: July 26, 2012, 08:25:52 am »

This :)

Thanks for the reply. Sounds like I may need to upgrade. Just wish i knew before. :P
Oh well, it happens.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: July 26, 2012, 08:41:26 am »

I believe its 5$ for the upgrades to the ebook regardless of where you bought it.  I know it was that price when I orderd directly from O'Reilly.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 16