Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 16

Author Topic: "Getting Started with Dwarf Fortress" - it's out!  (Read 91185 times)

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: "Getting Started with Dwarf Fortress" - it's out!
« Reply #150 on: July 01, 2012, 12:54:46 pm »

Umm..... you DO realize you don't need an external program to enable labors for people, right?

He said "or you can do it manually." Only old-timers mess with this disaster of an interface.
I'm not sure if thats a complement on my time playing DF, or a back handed complement on my age ...

This isn't a disaster of an interface.  MS Office (ver 2007+)is a disaster of an interface; DF just has a few quirks to get used to. Correct a few oversights so /*-+ vs arrow keys are consistent across different screens, and it would not be confusing at all once you get used to it.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

toomanysecrets

• Bay Watcher
  • Jackpot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: July 01, 2012, 12:57:00 pm »

Nah I didn't mean old people, I should have said "old-school" Urists. A lot of the time I make 50-60 people masons or engravers to get large projects done. I can't imagine doing this manually but then again I am not accustomed to it.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 01, 2012, 01:29:22 pm »

The only bad part, really, is trying to hunt down individual dwarves for labor assignment.  With Therapist, you just click on a graph.  The in-game interface isn't unusable, but the external tools just save tons and tons of time.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 01, 2012, 03:10:45 pm »

The only bad part, really, is trying to hunt down individual dwarves for labor assignment.  With Therapist, you just click on a graph.  The in-game interface isn't unusable, but the external tools just save tons and tons of time.
This I can agree with.
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"

Over

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: July 02, 2012, 08:24:18 am »

Sorry about this, but yet another question about the book/getting started. (PDF version)

p31, it says "The herbalist dwarf has the Architecture labor enabled, and the Trade Depot is one of a few constructions that requires an architect..."

Alas, it seems that I may have messed up because my herbalist doesn't seem to have this skill. He is supposed to have "Building Designer" from p20, but it looks like I didn't give that skill to anyone and instead gave the "Mechanic's" other skills to two Dwarves. Am I totally hosed here?

Thanks!

Yeah, I checked this out since the trading post was never being made. It need the architect skill, which was not given to no one, since I was following the book and it didn't say to add the architect skill. Now I guess I'm stuck.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: July 02, 2012, 08:31:37 am »

Sorry about this, but yet another question about the book/getting started. (PDF version)

p31, it says "The herbalist dwarf has the Architecture labor enabled, and the Trade Depot is one of a few constructions that requires an architect..."

Alas, it seems that I may have messed up because my herbalist doesn't seem to have this skill. He is supposed to have "Building Designer" from p20, but it looks like I didn't give that skill to anyone and instead gave the "Mechanic's" other skills to two Dwarves. Am I totally hosed here?

Thanks!

Yeah, I checked this out since the trading post was never being made. It need the architect skill, which was not given to no one, since I was following the book and it didn't say to add the architect skill. Now I guess I'm stuck.
Nope, not stuck.  Just pick the appropriate dwarf and add the skill as needed.  u select the dwarf, p-l to specify his labors, and architecture is part of the bottom category.

And the part of the book discussing skills for your dwarves, during the "Prepare Cafefully" section, is where it specifies to add it initially.

Lord Snow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: July 02, 2012, 08:41:48 am »

Is there an option for e+paperback from https://www.bookdepository.co.uk ?

The link in your post looks like it's only the paperback.

toomanysecrets

• Bay Watcher
  • Jackpot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: July 02, 2012, 09:02:56 am »

Now I guess I'm stuck.

If you are a new player, just get dwarf therapist. You can make anyone an architect. With one mouse-click. You're not stuck.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: July 02, 2012, 09:51:23 am »

Now I guess I'm stuck.

If you are a new player, just get dwarf therapist. You can make anyone an architect. With one mouse-click. You're not stuck.

Bad advice. Getting dependent on third party utilities is never a good idea.

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: July 02, 2012, 09:51:34 am »

--snip--

Just to make this very clear: Any dwarf can potentially do any work. You just have to enable the appropriate labor either in-game or more conveniently using dwarf therapist.
Choosing skills prior to embark just gives the dwarf a certain skill level, that's all. If you enable a labor during game the dwarf will gain skill points if he has the opportunity to do labor related jobs often enough.

toomanysecrets

• Bay Watcher
  • Jackpot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: July 02, 2012, 10:11:13 am »

I am wholly and entirely "dependent" on dwarf therapist and I'll admit it. But to call it "bad advice" to reccomend that new player simply try it to see if he likes it defies all logic.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: July 02, 2012, 10:15:27 am »

It's not about which one you like, it's that the aim here is to teach people how to play the game, which means vanilla. Once you know how to play, feel free to try other utilities, but there's a worrying number of people who don't seem to even know that you can change labors within the game.

Over

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: July 02, 2012, 10:17:38 am »

Thanks!

Nope, not stuck.  Just pick the appropriate dwarf and add the skill as needed.  u select the dwarf, p-l to specify his labors, and architecture is part of the bottom category.

And the part of the book discussing skills for your dwarves, during the "Prepare Cafefully" section, is where it specifies to add it initially.

Thanks for the instructions, as this comes later in the book, I've checked now.

And no, the book didn't specify to get the architect skill, I've just double checked.

So, if there's something that I want to do but I have no dwarf with the specific skill, I just have to enable it through this way, right?

BTW, a dwarf with "Building Designer" skill will be a better "Architect" or is it irrelevant? I've just ordered my Miner/Mason to do Architect labors, instead of my Herbalist, which has the "Building Designer" skill.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: July 02, 2012, 10:20:08 am »

Building designer skill will make buildings that needs architecture faster than somebody with no skill.

Over

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: July 02, 2012, 10:25:03 am »

Building designer skill will make buildings that needs architecture faster than somebody with no skill.

That's good to know.

I've just checked and my herbalist already had the Architect labor enabled (buy no Architect skill in his list of skills), but didn't start building the Trade Post, which was inactive due to a lack of an Architect. Strange.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 16