Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16

Author Topic: "Getting Started with Dwarf Fortress" - it's out!  (Read 91159 times)

TinyPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: "Getting Started with Dwarf Fortress" - it's out!
« Reply #195 on: July 28, 2012, 04:32:38 am »

My editor tells me that the updated version will be out around 2 August. All you O'Reilly ebook owners (and those who registered their non-O'Reilly copy) will no doubt get an emtweetbook alert, or something, and a link :)

TinyPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: July 31, 2012, 05:28:39 am »

All O'Reilly ebook owners should have an email with a link to the latest version. Also, if you're a dropboxer, you can synch your books to Dropbox automagically. You'll have to go look that up on O'Reilly.com

TinyPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: August 17, 2012, 07:37:37 am »

I'm doing a webcast today at 10am PST. It will be available on YouTube in due course :)

bugmnt

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: September 21, 2012, 05:25:47 pm »

Quick question about your Stockpile introduction. I don't see how three three field wide and room filling stockpiles with a one field gap plus a couple of stockpiles with a dozen fields should fit in the 20x20 room.

I can easily just make the room larger or use smaller stockpiles but that makes me think that I'm misunderstanding something here?

stuntaneous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:ungodly beard of awesome]
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: September 21, 2012, 09:58:52 pm »

I tend to give you crap for flogging this book around the place (e.g. Reddit) as an advertisement and the fact it'll always be getting further out of date.. but I'm going to buy it. Bastard!

TinyPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: September 22, 2012, 08:04:42 am »

LOL - the ebook is always up to date. In fact, I released an update in... August or something... anyway. As the game gets updated, so will the book.

As for the stockpiles. It's possible I miss-counted. Wouldn't be the first time. I'd suggest expanding the room, if you can. In time you'll need huge stockpiles (or look up quantum stockpiles), but a single room will do to start with.

bugmnt

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: September 29, 2012, 11:21:01 am »

Thanks, one more as I'm slowly working through this: Chapter 5. I was totally unprepared and didn't have any of my fine rock crafts ready. I think I didn't miss anything in the book so far and I think you never mentioned that producing rock crafts makes sense. Would be good to mention that earlier on somewhere.

bugmnt

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: September 30, 2012, 05:13:52 pm »

In the Noble chapter and specifically Table 6-4 you mention a "Mayor" when in fact the role is called "Expedition leader" (at least I hope/think that's the same?).

edit: I see that you explain this later on but it'd be nice if the explanation came with the table

Also in the Nobles chapter you mention Chests and Coffins without explaining that they are Containers and Burial stuff in the build menu. That's a bit confusing.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 06:10:14 pm by bugmnt »

TinyPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: September 30, 2012, 11:41:06 pm »

A detail-focused reader! Nuts! I will correct for the next version. Thanks for sporting.

Brewster

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: October 02, 2012, 06:11:05 pm »

Someone post some artwork from the book! I probably know everything IN the book, but I just want it for the pretty pictures.

Edit: for real... someone post pics!
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 06:15:39 pm by Brewster »

TinyPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: October 02, 2012, 11:55:04 pm »

The book comes up on deals regularly with O'Reilly - get it for a friend and have a read first - ebook for best pic quality :p

ChazFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Paranoid Kobold
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: November 12, 2012, 12:24:32 pm »

It's a shame that I can't get the book from O'Reilly (They don't take my payment method D:) but I'm gonna pick it up from Amazon, and if O'Reilly ever does allow me to use my usual payment methods, I'll upgrade it through there. Given that the current book is up to date with the latest edition of DF right now, that should hopefully help me get a proper start. :D
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 01:31:48 pm by ChazFox »

azurelao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: November 12, 2012, 02:50:39 pm »

quick (not so serious) question

does it come in elephant leather, with spikes of jade/ruby/various other precious stones or spikes of rock?

LHLF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: November 19, 2012, 02:30:36 pm »

Since I made the decision to purchase the book before even playing my first session, I would like to state my opinion to those who are in doubt.

This book is GREAT.

It teaches you how to understand the basics without overwhelming you, and the text is clear and concise. No blabbering about nonsense, but also making a few jokes here and there which add a nice touch. I found the basics of the game really not that difficult, but only thanks to this book. I did things as I read the book, until the book started to teach each aspect in more detail or started to teach about the really complex parts, such as justice and health, military and engineering (that's a winner, THIS is where most of the absurdly complex parts of the game make their entrance).

The book gives you great tips on how to start in the best situation possible. I strongly advise you NOT to skip the "Preparing Carefully", segment, since it is crucial. Also, the author's tips on profession management (and the whole "Plebian" class) are lifesavers.

I actually managed to have my first gameworld ever last 4 game years, just because of this book. So I mean what I say.

Lastly, I was not payed to make those compliments, nor am I a friend of the author, I just loved the book, and the book helped me to love the game even more.

TheKaspa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: January 02, 2013, 01:19:03 pm »

I have already genned 5 world in which, following your instructions, I cannot find a suitable embark site.
How come that I'm not able to find a low savage, temperate embark without aquifer but with flux, deep and shallow metals and a river?
Tai'shar DwarfFortress

I've heard Minecart Airlines Express offers nice trips to nobility. Alternative trips include a voyage over the volcano. Call 1-800-I-THE-GUINEAPIG-VOLUNTEER and book now!
My fucking armok, you broke the game.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16