Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 23

Author Topic: Zombie thread: Mah zambah barg bra!nz haarh.  (Read 57284 times)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: Zombie in Miami, Florida
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2012, 04:42:19 am »

So port towns are the safest, but only if you're already in the port town, because there will be lots of panic and accidents on the highways thus reaching the port towns will be nigh impossible.

EDIT:
I agree with dwarven tunnels tough.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2012, 04:48:05 am »

Yeah, a pickaxe would be pretty darn useful in a zedpocalypse. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2012, 04:51:54 am »

We also need to bring LAN connection and some games. How else are we going to pass time?

they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2012, 09:31:23 am »

I've got some buddies with a large collection of guns. We have, pooled together...

1 Remington 410, 3 .22 rifles, one of which is scoped, 1 30-30 rifle, 1 .44 magnum /w pistol scope, 1 airsoft gun (deterrents for wild animals), 1 AR-15 w/ scope, 1 antique .22 Luger, 1 antique duck hunting shotgun, 2-3 machetes, 1 broadsword, 1 axe, 1 maul, 1 scythe (modern), and probably more guns I don't know about.

We could probably go fortify stone mountain or somesuch.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2012, 09:34:29 am »

RedKing, when you see this, know that Operation Free Carolina is now active. This is a Level Grey Threat.

(In all seriousness, it sounds like this guy had a particularly bad reaction to PCP. Not that there are any good reactions to PCP, but nude cannibalism is usually one of the worse ones. Then again, that's probably just what they want us to think...)
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2012, 10:38:04 am »

Oh crap, being a Central Floridian, I'm on the damn front lines of this. This doesn't bode too well for me. >:(

At least I'm on an island with a couple bridges, and a rather competent police force (we deal with all kinds of tourism here). We also have all manners of wildlife that can protect us (plenty of snakes, big spiders, and etc. to fend them off for a good while, at least).

Getting closer to Hurricane Season, I'm hoping nature can also deal with a great deal of them through heavy winds and fast aerial projectiles, and drown out a fair amount with storm surges. And during droughts, I hope enough would be dumb enough to path through a brushfire.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 10:46:51 am by Itnetlolor »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2012, 11:21:18 am »

Let us all be thankful that the Toady One is on the other side of the country and across some mountains.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2012, 12:45:20 pm »

...and a rather competent police force (we deal with all kinds of tourism here).

I have to say, I chuckled. God, these tourists are getting more obnoxious by the day... Now they can't even wait patiently for the hotel's buffet lunch!

But seriously, this is pretty awful. As unlikely as actual zombieism seems, people eating people alive is still horrifying.
Oh, I've considered many times making a Bay12 Apocalypse Survival Plan thread. Maybe I should do that? :P
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Zombie in Miami, Florida or: zombie survival thread
« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2012, 12:47:33 pm »

This kind of is that thread :P

Thinking about what we would do if a zombie apocalypse broke out is intresting, especially if you are thinking about it with intresting people.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #40 on: May 28, 2012, 07:19:04 pm »

Right now i am happy to live in Australia, the Virus will come here slower

Knowing Australia, the virus would probably get its rear handed to it.

"Zombies, eh? Pf, wait until you see our wildlife!"
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 28, 2012, 07:21:31 pm »

Scopolamine or tropanes can induce loss of free will in high quantities, and powerful hallucinations, though the accompanying physical and mental damage usually puts people off from ingesting it. Given Miami's close links with the Central Americas, especially Colombia, where use of Scopolamine in crimes is high, it may be that either Urist McNakednhungry used it himself for the hallucinogenic effect, or someone drugged him with it (to rob him, but may have backfired)

Datura? I'm not so sure that that has a cannabalistic effect. I know it's powerfully hallucinogenic, but it doesn't damage higher function very much.

PCP overdoses can. There's a case of a smalltime american rapper who high on PCP killed and partially ate his girlfriend.

I suggested Datura because my first thought reading this was 'atropine,' and Datura's got that along with scopalamine.  The hallucinations are cognitive rather than sensory - no trippy patterns, lots of scary delusion that can lead to violence.  'The Little Man Who Wasn't There' territory.

But yeah, PCP... the rapper you're thinking of is Antron Singleton and while he was convicted by circumstantial evidence, the story is creepily similar to this.  With enough PCP, you could zombify the world.

Spoiler: squick warning (click to show/hide)

So anyway, they apparently identified the biter guy.  The victim is still unidentified.

GalenEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mac-Man Games
« Reply #42 on: May 28, 2012, 08:14:13 pm »

Okay, finally back from sleep + field work + nomming on stuff and gratuitous amounts of coffee.

Miauw62 - It would be good to have a generator / solar panels if we are going to be playing LAN games since the power grid will most likely start failing hard soon after the zompocalypse starts escalating. Also, port downs are technically one of the safer places to be but if you are planning on living on a boat then you will have to contend with pirates and looters, and will likely not have a lot of freedom of movement to evade them (based on how fast your boat is and limited by fuel stores on the boat). Dwarven tunnels is a definite possibility for survival. Or at least the idea behind them is. My house is atop a small mountainous area with a lot of rock so it would be possible to dig into the side of it and create a cave system beneath the fields. If you are unable to get to a port town BEFORE the situation escalates and everyone attempts to evacuate then you have some hope of arriving safely, but if you were to come upon a grid-lock event then you would either have to get off the road with your vehicle or go on foot with as much of your supplies as you can carry and hope for the best.
GGamer - That is awesome :D we could probably use you and others competent in arms usage down here when it all starts.
Itnetlolor - Natural disasters are likely to be the bane of zombie-kind. Their pathing mechanisms are rudimentary and would be akin to brute-force line-of-sight movement towards whatever goal they have currently, or if there is no edible goal creature they would meander and shuffle along until a goal is spotted. Hurricanes are definitely useful, but aren't effective beyond coastal / coastal-adjacent areas. The high winds combined with general lack of motor control in the zombies leads to fallen zombies. The "everything is now a projectile" nature of hurricane force winds can and likely would kill some zombies and others would be either crippled from something taking out their legs *and the severed part flies off in an arc* or by lodging something heavy into the body to disrupt its center of gravity making it either very hard to walk without falling or possibly impossible to walk at all. Others still would be pinned between heavy objects, which would effectively stop the progress of that zombie.
The drowning part is a possible nonissue since zombies don't technically need to breath, or have limbs. It would allow fish and other water bound creatures to eat the zombified flesh though and that could either be a good thing or a really bad thing depending on how well zombification is transferred to animals.

I think I will wait on other observations and comments before I post more, so that I can start figuring out how I will go about getting a good topo map of my property as well as start planning defenses for the property >.>
Fun is Fun......Done is Done... or is that Done is !!FUN!!?
Quote from: Mr Frog
Digging's a lot like surgery, see -- you grab the sharp thing and then drive the sharp end of the sharp thing in as hard as you can and then stuff goes flying and then stuff falls out and then there's a big hole and you're done. I kinda wish there was more screaming, but rocks don't hurt so I guess it can't be helped.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #43 on: May 28, 2012, 10:17:04 pm »

I'd like to think that a sufficiently decayed walking corpse would act like a sponge to liquids, and effectively drowning a zombie would mean soaking it long enough and thoroughly enough inside-out that they turn into zombie stew; chunks would just fall off the bone just by being water-logged enough, and their persistent moving eventually rending the muscles, tendons, and remaining rotten flesh off.

Although zombies don't necessarily need to breathe, they go into deep enough waters (rip currents help), they fall into really deep waters, I think pressure will take care of the situation, especially if they fall off an underwater ridge and rapidly fall into higher pressures. Crush their insides like an empty soda can.

Oh yeah, I think torrential storms can carry enough waves and such to keep a water-bound zombie rather busy flailing about and rather disabled from recovering themselves while hit with waves almost constantly (and mind you, it's also next to impossible to swim in fizzy water; Mythbusters proved it, and I experienced it by accident once); try swimming in CAT1 waters at least. All kinds of fun there.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 10:24:57 pm by Itnetlolor »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 28, 2012, 11:32:49 pm »

I like Seanbaby's advice on this.  Staying in one place is only good until they notice you.  They don't have to leave, and every day there's gonna be more.  If you really want to starve to death while the dead scream at you and bang on your door, go ahead.  I'd probably stay on the move.  Zombies are only a threat if they corner you.
Shoes...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 23