Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: What is wrong with DF.  (Read 4497 times)

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What is wrong with DF.
« on: May 28, 2012, 12:57:32 am »

No, this is not a stupid troll thread, this is an attempt at a serious discussion. Im gonna bet anything it degenerates into fanboyism and flame but here goes.

Post whatever you think is wrong with DF, something about Toady's development style, particular things in the UI, hell, anything and everything you can think of.

for the sake of keeping the thread semi on track, please don't complain about what others say, or the general nature of the thread.

I am hoping this helps Toady get true negative opinions of the community, without all the rampant misguided praise and cultism.

Cause lets face it, in its current state, Dwarf Fortress really aint all that impressive.
Most of the 'features' are never witnessed by the player outside of legends mode, or the 'L'ook menu.
Almost anyone's fps tanks in a few in game years, crippling the possibility of truly large fortresses.
The game is fucking easy, I don't really care what you say, their are no sources of difficulty.
Adventure mode is fucking joke, and will be for several years.
The player's fortress is completely disconnected from the outside world, this won't change with simple trade updates.
Feature bloat, DF has tons of features, but most of them don't have any effect or are tossed aside like a childs toy after being used for 5 minutes.

And a final note, this is referring to the current/VERY near future state of DF, not the short term goals in the dev page, not what itll be like in 5 years. now.
Hopefully this will help dig into actual issues with the core game, and as I said not devolve into a flame war, this community is slowly shaking my belief that that is possible.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What is wrong with DF.
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 01:00:59 am »

I honestly hate the AI.

Elves: Stand around.

Humans: Stand around inside.

Dwarves: Get killed by EVERYTHING.

Kobolds: Stand around in the caverns.

Goblins: Stand around.

I honestly wish the AI would get worked out now. Personality rewrites are great, but I would rather have Artificial INTELLIGENCE. Not Artificial dwarfism.

And people point out its already being worked on in one...two...three...
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2012, 01:13:53 am »

No such thing as true artificial intelligence, yet.   A script that can fake it a little more convincingly would be nice.

Aligned areas are a stupid idea, not least because nobody can seem to agree on what's good and what's evil.  I'd like to see them removed entirely.  On the other hand, horrible places that just spout undead for no clear reason are kind of cool for some stories.  Maybe re-dub Good/Evil to Beneficent/Baneful, modify their behavior to closer fit the terms, and drop the morality aspect altogether.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2012, 01:50:54 am »

DF is the same, you are different. Go take a walk of one or two years and then came back, maybe you will find the game fun again. All these problems are public knowledge and I doubt this thread will bring anything new.

Getting fed up with a game is natural, and DF is just another game.

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2012, 02:02:22 am »

The two worst things about DF are the poor interface, and the number of glaring bugs. Fortunately Toady's been working on the latter a bunch recently.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2012, 02:23:32 am »

DF is the same, you are different. Go take a walk of one or two years and then came back, maybe you will find the game fun again. All these problems are public knowledge and I doubt this thread will bring anything new.

you. yes you there, please go read the OP and try again.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2012, 02:40:07 am »

I did. It is completely whiny and we already have a thread for negative feedback made by Threetoe himself, where all points you made were discussed to death.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2012, 02:43:54 am »

Hopefully this will help dig into actual issues with the core game

Awesome. Wake me when you guys come up with a new one.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2012, 02:48:53 am »

I did. It is completely whiny and we already have a thread for negative feedback made by Threetoe himself, where all points you made were discussed to death.
  Which is where, exactly?
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

ctharvey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2012, 03:12:51 am »

No, this is not a stupid troll thread, this is an attempt at a serious discussion. Im gonna bet anything it degenerates into fanboyism and flame but here goes.

Post whatever you think is wrong with DF, something about Toady's development style, particular things in the UI, hell, anything and everything you can think of.

for the sake of keeping the thread semi on track, please don't complain about what others say, or the general nature of the thread.

I am hoping this helps Toady get true negative opinions of the community, without all the rampant misguided praise and cultism.

Cause lets face it, in its current state, Dwarf Fortress really aint all that impressive.
Most of the 'features' are never witnessed by the player outside of legends mode, or the 'L'ook menu.
Almost anyone's fps tanks in a few in game years, crippling the possibility of truly large fortresses.
The game is fucking easy, I don't really care what you say, their are no sources of difficulty.
Adventure mode is fucking joke, and will be for several years.
The player's fortress is completely disconnected from the outside world, this won't change with simple trade updates.
Feature bloat, DF has tons of features, but most of them don't have any effect or are tossed aside like a childs toy after being used for 5 minutes.

And a final note, this is referring to the current/VERY near future state of DF, not the short term goals in the dev page, not what itll be like in 5 years. now.
Hopefully this will help dig into actual issues with the core game, and as I said not devolve into a flame war, this community is slowly shaking my belief that that is possible.

Obvious troll is obvious.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2012, 03:15:26 am »

so yeah, as expected I make a thread to condense a variety of negative feedback into one reliable place, and people say its a troll and immediately hate it.

Are people not allowed to give valid negative feedback? and in the OP I was simply stating commonly acknowledged problems to get them out of the way.

So yeah, to everyone else, remember this, apparently we cannot have any threads that are negative towards DF or it is trolling, nope, cant tell Toady what we think is wrong with the game all in one place, cant have any of that here.

seriously, trying to make a thread to help Toady out a bit, screw off.

yes, the person who has been playing DF since it was 2D, and been registered on these forums since several months before the versions above 31.25 is obviously a troll for trying to help DF's development, im so sorry I offended you, as you are obviously the #1 expert on trolling, and DF.
no, really. read the OP again, this is the kinda crap I didnt want in the thread, which umm... makes you a troll, please dont do that.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 03:18:45 am by bombzero »

ctharvey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2012, 03:22:11 am »

so yeah, as expected I make a thread to condense a variety of negative feedback into one reliable place, and people say its a troll and immediately hate it.

Are people not allowed to give valid negative feedback? and in the OP I was simply stating commonly acknowledged problems to get them out of the way.

So yeah, to everyone else, remember this, apparently we cannot have any threads that are negative towards DF or it is trolling, nope, cant tell Toady what we think is wrong with the game all in one place, cant have any of that here.

seriously, trying to make a thread to help Toady out a bit, screw off.

yes, the person who has been playing DF since it was 2D, and been registered on these forums since several months before the versions above 31.25 is obviously a troll for trying to help DF's development, im so sorry I offended you, as you are obviously the #1 expert on trolling, and DF.
no, really. read the OP again, this is the kinda crap I didnt want in the thread, which umm... makes you a troll, please dont do that.

1.  Purposefully inciting other players with unfounded opinions.

2.  Types and talks like a 13 year old/ is 13 years old.

3.  Sure there are problems but you have 0% tact in your post.

4.  Not constructive, points to his original post to validate his current posts.

TROLL METER: [########--] 8/10
COLOR CODE: ORANGE

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2012, 03:23:56 am »

*sigh*, dude, really, are you so blinded by your devotion to DF to be incapable of seeing problems in the game?

I sincerely apologize for trying to help Toady, this forum obviously does not approve of that.
also, tact? really? like how much tact you have with your "troll meter"?

ctharvey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2012, 03:25:38 am »

3.  Sure there are problems but you have 0% tact in your post.

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2012, 03:28:19 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Which is where, exactly?

The fifth hit on a board search for "threetoe problems with df".

Admittedly that is a beast of a thread, but I don't think the length of that thread justifies the rude and insulting, preemptively antagonistic flamebait that constitutes the OP of this one.   Thvaz is right, DF is just another game, and on any other forum a thread like this would be considered trolling.  No special rules here.

*sigh*, dude, really, are you so blinded by your devotion to DF to be incapable of seeing problems in the game?

I sincerely apologize for trying to help Toady, this forum obviously does not approve of that.
also, tact? really? like how much tact you have with your "troll meter"?

Then be more constructive with your arguments.
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...
Pages: [1] 2 3