Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 188 189 [190] 191 192 ... 238

Author Topic: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)  (Read 407545 times)

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)
« Reply #2835 on: December 01, 2016, 03:45:20 pm »

How about - snip -

If it were an ability-based  fighting-centred game, that way would be a fair option to keep "laming" in check - especially important with customized multiplayer builds.
We~ll - but I plan on doing an SG, and not even one with much of a combat focus. The skills won't give "special attacks" or buffs or the like, but all appliable perks will provide a (mostly) passive bonus.
( Pyromancy Adept / Int x 3,5 = magic-flame damage. Arch Pyromancer / Int x 8,5 = magic-flame damage)

I do appreciate the thought though - Thanks.

Let's add more symbols. What you can do with these?
Spoiler: Like this? (click to show/hide)

I like that you could technically make some kind of wicked-looking heiroglyph with that. If you had the time to replace letters and numbers with purpose-made glyphs, it could be really immersive.
Make it Ogham Script then, for maximum headaches and broken keyboards.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #2836 on: December 01, 2016, 03:58:31 pm »

Code: [Select]
1<G
^
0<F

A rather unique spell devised by the spell-blade assassins of Snoogar (who devoutly believe that everything hideous must die so that adorableness can live) this spell is used to quietly dispose of bodies by transmuting dead tissue into cats. Once cast on a corpse, the spell continues until the body is consumed, generating a pile of adorable kittens in the process.

Surprise your friends and start the party with a bang by using this on the main course at tonight's dinner party! Kittens for everyone!

Well, that was fun. Back to work.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2837 on: December 01, 2016, 05:39:53 pm »

Part of me wants to have a Soul Eater forum game, where Meister players work together with their Soul Weapon player buddies and team up to get things done, save the world, funny hijinx, etc.

Part of me also recognizes that this is a horrible, awful concept for a forum game, and is doomed to die due to "WHY ISN'T MY PARTNER FRIGGING POSTING!?"
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2838 on: December 01, 2016, 05:43:07 pm »

Magical science.

This creates a ball of sustained fire and launches it forward at speed of 100 m/s
Code: (Fireball) [Select]
  V
1<A<B
V
2<3<C<X<X

So does this.
Code: (Fireball) [Select]
2<3<C<X<X
^
1<A<B
  ^

This continuosly creates fireballs and launches them forward at speed of 100 m/s, but since fire is not sustained, it won't have very long range.
Code: (Flamethrower) [Select]
0>1<A<B
  V
  2<3<C<X<X

This creates a ball of fire and launches it forward at speed of 100 m/s. "Launch forward" portion is "sustained", so I guess it accelerates at rate of 100 m/s2. Probably. At least until fire burns itself out.
Code: (Flamejet) [Select]
0>2<3<C<X<X   
  ^
  1<A<B 

So in this syntax "A<B" means A is modified by B. > switches direction so what's on right is modified by what's on left. ^ means what's above is modified by what's below. V is its opposite.

Can you figure out what each symbol means? Can you modify this spell in any meaningful way?

D - Caster/self
E - Size
F - Flesh
G - Cat
4 - Combine
Yes please.

Code: (*flails at keyboard*) [Select]
      F
      V
1<0<1<D
      ^
Does this continuously duplicate the caster?  I'm not sure.
Part of me wants to have a Soul Eater forum game, where Meister players work together with their Soul Weapon player buddies and team up to get things done, save the world, funny hijinx, etc.

Part of me also recognizes that this is a horrible, awful concept for a forum game, and is doomed to die due to "WHY ISN'T MY PARTNER FRIGGING POSTING!?"
You have not seen enough of FG&RP.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 06:07:51 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2839 on: December 01, 2016, 09:21:30 pm »

I've been thinking of an interesting character creation idea. Instead of having stats and abilities set up on the application sheet, prospective players would be put into a little dungeon area with various challenges. Players could decide to use any kind of ability that they want in order to complete these challenges, but they would only be able to pick so many abilities; which upon being used would permanently become a feature of the character. Freeform ability selection would end after that dungeon area.
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2840 on: December 01, 2016, 09:37:07 pm »

...Minor question, why isn't this thread stickied?  I had actually partially been thinking of starting one of these since I thought nothing like this existed (I think due to having not seen in it the mess of other games).
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2841 on: December 01, 2016, 11:51:48 pm »

Code: (Kittyspell!) [Select]
D > 4 < GI am now a kitty!?
(I may or may not be doing this right  :P)
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2842 on: December 02, 2016, 01:19:27 am »

So, you're telling me that you're using a befunge-esque* spell-programmer?

Befunge?!?!

Seriously...

*Okay, it's not nearly a tenth as bad as befunge, but that's what it kinda looks like.

Is befunge-esque bad? It sounds like it's bad. But yes, it appears to be befunge-esque. Proves my hypothesis that at this point of time it is impossible for human to have single original thought that has not been thought by anyone else ever before. My quest for sensible magic system you can research resulted this time something like this.

But you are correct in almost all other accouts. 3 is modify property and C on speed, although I'm wondering if it's good way to represent it as such.

I like that you could technically make some kind of wicked-looking heiroglyph with that. If you had the time to replace letters and numbers with purpose-made glyphs, it could be really immersive.

Yeah, it would be very easy to do. I have been thinking that too.

Spoiler: Like this? (click to show/hide)

It creates a ball cat and launches it forward at a speed of 100 m/s. Cat is sustained, but I'm not sure what it would mean in this context. Perhaps it's immortal cat, not having need to eat or drink...

1<G
^
0<F

A rather unique spell devised by the spell-blade assassins of Snoogar (who devoutly believe that everything hideous must die so that adorableness can live) this spell is used to quietly dispose of bodies by transmuting dead tissue into cats. Once cast on a corpse, the spell continues until the body is consumed, generating a pile of adorable kittens in the process.

Surprise your friends and start the party with a bang by using this on the main course at tonight's dinner party! Kittens for everyone!

Well, that was fun. Back to work.

Create would make stuff from nothing, so this continuously creates cats. Interpreting this system can be hard because in this case sustain is modified by flesh and it doesn't make sense. Sustained by flesh would make sense, but by what flesh it is sustained? No, this doesn't work with flesh as expressed. If we have transmute represented by symbol 5, then we could have it.

Code: (Adorable Corpse Disposal) [Select]
  V
F>5<G
This would continuously transmute existing flesh into cats until there's no longer flesh to transmute. Though this brings question, is flesh being transmuted cats or are cats being transmuted into flesh? Well, cats are already flesh (and bones) so it makes more sense to move from board term to more precise term.
Without sustain it would transmute only one cat's worth of flesh.

Yes please.

Code: (*flails at keyboard*) [Select]
      F
      V
1<0<1<D
      ^
Does this continuously duplicate the caster?  I'm not sure.

Create sustain create sustained caster flesh. No, doesn't work. First create doesn't have any indication what it creates. If we drop it and turn sustain around, then we get this:
    F
    V
0>1<D
    ^
This creates new immortal chunks of caster's flesh as long as spell keeps going on. If we drop flesh then it would make immortal copies of caster. Immortal in sense they wouldn't need food or water to keep living.

Code: (Kittyspell!) [Select]
D > 4 < GI am now a kitty!?
(I may or may not be doing this right  :P)

Combine caster and existing cat. You are a furry now. An amalgamate.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #2843 on: December 02, 2016, 08:53:39 am »

So thinking of starting up a Dragonball game loosely based around Zanzetkuken's old system, set in Universe 6 (the one they had a tournament against in Super)

Here are the major changes I have so far to his base system:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The main differences are the way I separated ki and mystic stuff, and also there are classes now that effect what you start with.

Right now my biggest concern is how to work health implementation into the damage system I've visualized. Which is a pretty simple Attack Power Level - Opposing Defense Power Level = damage thing. The obvious problem being that this could result in all attacks either one shotting or doing absolutely nothing.

I kinda want to start health at 100 and make quadruple digits an end game thing for only the toughest characters, But with Power Levels starting in the thousands and possibly going absolutely goddamn mad (which is something I want to be a thing, and sorta follow the kind of progression the show did) This could quickly become coin flip battles.

Second concern is how to implement "basic" attacks. I know I want there to be basic ki blasts that are one of the first things learned that work exactly like long range punches or kicks, but currently the best idea I have for how to make non-Kamehameha combat interesting is to go full rock paper scissors with quick attacks, heavy attacks and guards/counters. But even that falls apart on the third one when I start to consider how turns could go or such and what happens when people start getting more actions then others.

I want this system to be easily manageable with just a calculator and maybe a dash of flavor text here and there to liven things up, but I honestly have more ideas for the training and technique side of things then more down and dirty combat mechanics.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2844 on: December 02, 2016, 09:59:35 am »

Second concern is how to implement "basic" attacks.

I think the original manga, did a good job at that level though. If you think of the first ~three fighting tournaments, and how those were settled between the Ki fighters, you should be able to get a few ideas.
For example, the different schools, might give different kinds of "physical boosts" and abilities.
The turtle school, was pretty strenght & endurance based, and their first ki-attack, was close to being artillery
The crane school, was more offensive and technique-minded, filled with trickery and the first appearance of "sky-walking".
... did the series only have those two canon earth schools though? Well, even the first (young) picolo fight, was pretty low-tech, with only finger-lasers next to skywalking in my memory.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2845 on: December 02, 2016, 10:07:07 am »

Code: (What about this?) [Select]
0>1<F<D
    ^
Okay, which of 0 and 1 is which, anyway???

Also, I think having 5 take an input and make an output makes more sense than two inputs.  E.G.
Code: (Transmute caster...To cat!) [Select]
D>5>G
« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 10:26:55 am by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #2846 on: December 02, 2016, 10:23:58 am »

Second concern is how to implement "basic" attacks.

I think the original manga, did a good job at that level though. If you think of the first ~three fighting tournaments, and how those were settled between the Ki fighters, you should be able to get a few ideas.
For example, the different schools, might give different kinds of "physical boosts" and abilities.
The turtle school, was pretty strenght & endurance based, and their first ki-attack, was close to being artillery
The crane school, was more offensive and technique-minded, filled with trickery and the first appearance of "sky-walking".
... did the series only have those two canon earth schools though? Well, even the first (young) picolo fight, was pretty low-tech, with only finger-lasers next to skywalking in my memory.
I'm more looking for a way to model them in the game system, flavor text should cover a lot of "making two characters fight differently" but I'm not looking to make it a dice roll based system. In fact the only die roll I have planned right now is the initial one for PC power levels (which I'm thinking of nerfing the difference of said rolls to +/- 200 instead of 500 cuz jesus) which is mostly to give a little difference to the chars and possibly make them reconsider their builds if they get a really good or bad roll.
Everything after that I'm intending to be 100% strategy and tactics. I want this to be something you can be GOOD at instead of something you can be LUCKY at.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2847 on: December 02, 2016, 11:21:04 am »

Code: (What about this?) [Select]
0>1<F<D
    ^
Okay, which of 0 and 1 is which, anyway???

0 is sustain and 1 is create. For now. So continuous creation of immortal flesh of caster?

Also, I think having 5 take an input and make an output makes more sense than two inputs.  E.G.
Code: (Transmute caster...To cat!) [Select]
D>5>G

That would change meaning of <, >, ^ and V. Hmm, there's a plenty of fine tuning left in this system. If it is even worthy of Perplexicon style gaming. Which I won't have ever time or patience to run.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2848 on: December 03, 2016, 10:23:13 pm »

Future notice: Only game I really hosted, in person. It online.  Was war games.

Only reason not bothering here is attempting adventure, and no online map making skills.

Said games: One is a alternative WW2 world with fiction elements.

Another we are warlords of Hell competeting to be top dog.

Last is Dynasty Warriors based.

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2849 on: December 06, 2016, 02:25:39 pm »

Hmmm.

Inferum/ Hell thing: Thinking doing Spamkingdom or Vinland style system so everyone votes for what's next.

Dynasty Warriors thing would be the same deal.

WW2 would need map, players and sides as its straight up war game.
Pages: 1 ... 188 189 [190] 191 192 ... 238