Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 187 188 [189] 190 191 ... 238

Author Topic: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)  (Read 407546 times)

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)
« Reply #2820 on: November 22, 2016, 01:45:54 pm »

Magic:

Magnus Force: Magic cops/government agents in alternative world with magic. Has 16 different classes of magic user for variety.

The Society: Here we are freedom fighters against the corrupt world government. Magic here is 7 spheres of influence with reality. That all can access if magic user. Some harder to do than others.

Hyper Zone: Earth is changed forever as a physics experiment opens a well of energy to blanket the Earth in exotic particles. That makes magic real. Now comes part of dealing with it.

Pilgrim: Here we are devote religionists people on a sacred mission from God that spans across the world. Has a karma system. And simplest rules.

Sci Fi:

Project Weapon: Players are genetic grown super beings met for war. You guys are escapees or children of them being chased by the government.

Meta Rising: Mutants are real now. How will the world react to it?

Drifters: It's inspired by Gantz. In which people almost die but teleported to another dimension to fight in a game to entertain the hosts. The price? Freedom and can live out their lives.

Aegis Program: There are many plots here I can use. But it has a very simple star system of five things that goes 1-100. Main theme is super powered humans via technology can monsters.

Wild Space: My take on space flight roving. It's a tad like D&D with all the rules. So I doubt to use it.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 10:34:48 pm by Tyrant Leviathan »

S34N1C

• Bay Watcher
  • Joins too many games
    • View Profile
« Reply #2821 on: November 24, 2016, 10:15:59 pm »

All of the above games sound like something I would attempt to play.
As always, life is brief and transient, your posting history lasts forever, so always prioritise forum games.

Glory to United Forenia!

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2822 on: November 24, 2016, 11:41:45 pm »

All of the above games sound like something I would attempt to play.
^^^^^^^
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2823 on: November 25, 2016, 03:20:19 pm »

Hmmm truthfully in a more fantasy bent right now.

Magnus Corps, The Society, or Pilgri thinking of starting.

Corps classes-

1:Channelers
2:Alchemists
3: Technomancers
4: Biomancers
5: Makers
6: Duelists
7: Callers
8: Servitors
9: Hosts
10: Dracomancers
11: Oath Dealer
12: Egoist
13: Animagus
14: Genomancer
15: Alter
16: Glyph Master

Society's sphere magic by title

Mind
Nature
Energy
Dimension
States
Time
Anima

Will do more details with time.

As for Pilgrim everyone can do magic but what is different is some people can transform, some can summon, and some have esoetic stuff.

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2824 on: November 26, 2016, 09:38:01 pm »

Differences between worlds.

Corps: Europe is center of the world as Americas have just been discovered and it is in late 1800s. The Corps act as fire runners in studying activity and protecting the known world while keeping secrets. Well secret.

Game play wise each class has tricks only they can do in relation to others. Though branching the 16 into four groups of four by theme.

Also due to al the classes, countries and mission options. Multiple characters are acceptable here.

The Society: Well it is modern day era world with magic and technology existing side by side. Sadly the world government " Unity" is evil. Only the Society has the evidence and some believe. Most do not. Lots of urban fighting here with some rural missions and many hiding spots.

Gear here is in three categories. Tech, organic tech ( it's grown not built) and magik tech ( technology with magic infusion)

The Spell system here is based on the seven spheres by themselves or the spheres working with one another for greater effect.

Also three player races in society.

Human

Genome: Artifical grown living being.

Wylding: Magic race of mana infused people who take animal/ wild traits. More attuned with nature and stuff.

The spheres are like this.

Mind: Mental powers. Psionic stuff, mind control and etc.

Nature: Commanding forces of nature. Not just four element crap either but all of it. Like gravity for example.

Energy: Controling the flow and bonds of energy in areas and beings. Including energy blasts and instant light Sabres.

States: Controling states of matter. Shifting them from one thing to another.

Dimension: Space. In three dimension sense and beyond is tampered by this magic sphere influence.

Time: Altering flow of time itself.

Anima: Controlling flow of life force. Kinda like necromancy in it deals with souls. Not just the dead. But those unborn as well. For insane results.

Some things are harder to do than others. Time and Anima are hardest ones for example. Energy and Mond are easiest. Nature is most effective in the wilds. Dimension and States are invetween in  casting range.

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2825 on: November 27, 2016, 07:23:57 pm »

Rolled dice. Got Magnus Corps.

After that either Society or maybe Onslaught. For the latter working in unit production rules and actual combat.

Monday Magnus Corps starts.

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2826 on: November 29, 2016, 05:10:33 pm »

I'm currently working on an idea - cut short, it is "The Guild" in a fantasy setting, plus some very light rpg-stats (Magic, Strength, Charisma) for dangerous situations & special actions.
While the original inspiration "The Guild", made ~5 different "worker castes", I obviously want more choices than that. Best, would be "traits", that can carry over to other jobs in the same area.

An example, would be a normal, but young acolyte of magic. He would have [Spellweaving] and [Lesser "Elemental" Magic].
He could either branch his [Spellweaving] out into [Enchanting], specialize in [Magic Tools], [Runecrafting] and what-not.
He could also branch his [Lesser "Fire" Magic] out into [Pyromancy Adept].
The real devil, would be combination skills - [Arcane Archery Adept], for example - would take, uh, about [Spelllweaving] & [Experienced Bow-user] or so.
Right, right. Obviously bad traits are also a go - things like [Glowcap Addict], [Broken Leg] and similiar, just promise too much fun to exclude.

How easily such a trait could be learned, would also depend on the char stats - a combat oriented character, won't become a good pedlar anytime quick, nor will he become a good mage on the fly. The 16 races (in 4 factions), also put some nice additional options into the game.

The current plan, is to establish a rough framework on "trait strenght & cost", make some rough drafts for the common jobs and fields, and create any newly needed traits. Well, I kinda would dislike to "bullshit" my way through the game like that though.
Any opinion on how to ease such an expansive system, while also retaining its main benefit - fluid customization of characters - would be very welcome. Well, that or an example of some game who did something similiar, and did it right.

As for the game itself, I would give a season for each turn, and give some ~4 actions to the character. I also might only do "RP time" with the current "main character", because a partner and the first child might be do-able, but anything beyond that, would just become tedious - be it reading, but especially writing.
After the first two generations or so, such a "clan" would surely become politically involved with their city, leading to the real fun. But that's a long way off, and the new "rules and games" can be introduced slowly, one at a time.

Well, either way, that's the gist of the idea. I plan to have a somewhat pre-planned story for the background, which the first characters won't have much chance to influence - being able to do just that, if the character is successful later on, is also one of the charming points of it. The "turn & game upkeep", is also planned in a somewhat simple style, with most rolls not resulting in anything worth mentioning. Expect sprained ankles, a stolen purse, light illness & small blessings to "counter" them out, but not any epic quests - well, unless the char is actively seeking out risk somehow.
Hm. Great. Which bay12 will undoubtedly do - especially considering that the games' current (tentative) name is "Dungeon Town Adventure" >>

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #2827 on: November 29, 2016, 07:38:37 pm »

I'm totally in favor of it; just have a couple questions.

1. Are Magic, Strength, & Charisma the only stats, or just examples? If so, that speaks to the sort of things characters are expected to do in the game.
2. What are characters expected to do in the game? I expect it's some sort of dungeoneering/adventuring guild, but I don't know for sure.
3. What do traits do? Do they give a bonus, or do they simply allow someone to do something at all? If so, what happens if a character wants to attempt something covered by a trait they don't possess?
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2828 on: November 30, 2016, 12:00:16 am »

Perhaps rename stats "Magic aptitude", "Combat aptitude" and "Social aptitude". That way you they can act as bigger mental umbrella and shove larger number of various things under them.

Mechanically your idea is attractive, I have thought of similar branching system, but it turns out math is not your friend. Either you figure out all branching possibilites before starting the game and lock yourself into those, or ease the task and do it on fly potentially unbalancing the game. There's no easy way to victory. If you work out possibilities before the game, then I suggest you limit your system in depth, meaning any skill can branch out only few times but in multiple directions. That way you can keep number of specializations somewhat sane.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2829 on: November 30, 2016, 04:52:14 am »

2. What are characters expected to do in the game? I expect it's some sort of dungeoneering/adventuring guild, but I don't know for sure.
3. What do traits do? Do they give a bonus, or do they simply allow someone to do something at all? If so, what happens if a character wants to attempt something covered by a trait they don't possess?
2 - I guess they can do pretty much anything. Which is kinda my goal. Simply providing an interesting enough "canvas", will have players appear with their own designs or takes on it. In essence though, it is kind of a slice of life / fantasy sim game, with a possible economic & family focus. Well, if I can make the world "seem alive", there ought to be enough incentives to form such goals.

3 - Traits can give a bonus to specific situations, allow the character to do things other characters can not, and even impair some actions. As for actions covered by a trait, well - I'll take the example of "reading tracks". Everyone knows what it is about, in theory, but unless you are schooled, the best you will get is "yeah. something came through here. no idea when, or what it was, but something happened here". If a character has something similiar enough, he might get half a chance at it though.

1. Are Magic, Strength, & Charisma the only stats, or just examples? If so, that speaks to the sort of things characters are expected to do.
Perhaps rename stats "Magic aptitude", "Combat aptitude" and "Social aptitude". That way you they can act as bigger mental umbrella and shove larger number of various things under them.
Right, that was kinda the plan - three stats to "sum up" a characters strengths and possibilities. While that cuts down on some possibilities, most of them will be covered by traits. Keeping it to those three stats, will make the game flow much easier. At least on the GM end - and since that is where most games fail, well~

Mechanically your idea is attractive, I have thought of similar branching system, but it turns out math is not your friend. Either you figure out all branching possibilites before starting the game and lock yourself into those, or ease the task and do it on fly potentially unbalancing the game. There's no easy way to victory. If you work out possibilities before the game, then I suggest you limit your system in depth, meaning any skill can branch out only few times but in multiple directions. That way you can keep number of specializations somewhat sane.

I guess putting up a "rank" system for the traits, would make balance a good deal easier. An [Arch Pyromancer], would be about "Rank 4", whereas the "Rank 5" [Arch Elementalist], might ""only"" need 4x ["Elemental" Master] of Rank 3.
That way, many skills that just "cover the basics", are easy to learn at Rank 0 to 1, but also only have a limited use, while Rank 2 and above "specializations", while more difficult to learn, also compensate one for doing so. As for learning a new trait, it will be linked to the main-stats, and made easier if the char already has "another angle" on the same topic.

As for "branching skills", just giving a bonus to an existing ability, is also a way of going at it. Kinda like [Elven Archery] increasing crit-chance for bow use, or something. In essence, complimentary traits, that just get "tacked on" to the "normal" main ability.

Either way, I doubt I would "think of them all" pre-game, and I do want to keep it rather open in terms of possibilities. The rank-system for traits, while not perfect, should alleviate the worst symptoms of "just winging it".

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2830 on: November 30, 2016, 05:03:45 pm »

How about having a system where the total bonus you can get from traits is capped at some kind of 'mana', so everyone gets the same number of bonus points, and traits just determine where you can apply them. That way, you don't have to worry about a certain player with an "overpowered" trait getting a lot more bonuses than a player with a highly specific underpowered trait.

Just a thought I had. Haven't thought it through.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2831 on: December 01, 2016, 01:01:10 pm »

Magical science.

This creates a ball of sustained fire and launches it forward at speed of 100 m/s
Code: (Fireball) [Select]
  V
1<A<B
V
2<3<C<X<X

So does this.
Code: (Fireball) [Select]
2<3<C<X<X
^
1<A<B
  ^

This continuosly creates fireballs and launches them forward at speed of 100 m/s, but since fire is not sustained, it won't have very long range.
Code: (Flamethrower) [Select]
0>1<A<B
  V
  2<3<C<X<X

This creates a ball of fire and launches it forward at speed of 100 m/s. "Launch forward" portion is "sustained", so I guess it accelerates at rate of 100 m/s2. Probably. At least until fire burns itself out.
Code: (Flamejet) [Select]
0>2<3<C<X<X   
  ^
  1<A<B 

So in this syntax "A<B" means A is modified by B. > switches direction so what's on right is modified by what's on left. ^ means what's above is modified by what's below. V is its opposite.

Can you figure out what each symbol means? Can you modify this spell in any meaningful way?

Let's add more symbols. What you can do with these?
D - Caster/self
E - Size
F - Flesh
G - Cat
4 - Combine
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #2832 on: December 01, 2016, 01:50:57 pm »

The placement of the 0 is the only thing that's changing, so I think it must be some kind of execution pointer or special input. "2<3<C<X<X" and "1<A<B" are always on the same sides of the equation and never change, with "1<A<B" always feeding into ""2<3<C<X<X", and seeing that the alphabetical characters are the nouns, I think "1<A<B" must be the part of the equation that creates the fire, and "2<3<C<X<X" must be operating on that variable to accelerate it.

Numbers are operators or special variables and letters are constant variables, or something like that.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #2833 on: December 01, 2016, 03:15:32 pm »

So, you're telling me that you're using a befunge-esque* spell-programmer?

Befunge?!?!

Seriously...

2 is the terminal. It is globally modified, so it's probably something like spell/cast/execute.  Ah, no, 2 appears to be 'launch forward'. 0 is a sustain modifier. A is fire. B I'm assuming is Ball. X is very likely 10 m/s. 1... 1 appears to be a sort of NEW or make function. So 1<A<B is NEW(FIRE,BALL).

Ah.... Numbers are methods. Letters are params. With that I can guess that 3 is SPEED(), and C is m/s and X is just ten (or perhaps 50), so the function is SPEED(m/s, 10 [50], 10 [50]), and it either adds or multiplies the speed arguments.

So, my key for the initial symbols...
0 = SUSTAIN()
1 = NEW()
2 = LAUNCH_FORWARD()
3 = SPEED()

A = FIRE  (Could be also reasonably be ball)
B = BALL (Could also reasonably be fire)
C = m/s (Edit for bad copypasta)
X = 10 or 50

*Okay, it's not nearly a tenth as bad as befunge, but that's what it kinda looks like.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 03:24:20 pm by Draignean »
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2834 on: December 01, 2016, 03:41:11 pm »

I like that you could technically make some kind of wicked-looking heiroglyph with that. If you had the time to replace letters and numbers with purpose-made glyphs, it could be really immersive.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)
Pages: 1 ... 187 188 [189] 190 191 ... 238