Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 ... 238

Author Topic: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)  (Read 407449 times)

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)
« Reply #1545 on: August 20, 2014, 12:48:02 am »

say they made frankenstein or something. Be imaginative and silly
It's FEF, not FEOF

tuypo1

• Bay Watcher
  • i really apreciate a good analogy
    • View Profile
« Reply #1546 on: August 20, 2014, 12:50:47 am »

hm both good pieces of advice i cant really give the players a choice the whole point of the game is the running away although i have plenty of time to think about it im not going to risk starting it again for a few months
important project progress

have some basic idea of whats going to go in it

tuypo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1547 on: August 23, 2014, 06:26:58 am »

hm have i missed any fundamentals of magic ive mentioned creation,manipulation,removal (dispelling),separating and combining is there any more or does that cover it

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1548 on: August 23, 2014, 06:37:37 am »

Depends on how magic works in that setting, but at a glance, that that looks fine.

If it's just the usual fare of random arbitrary things, you could probably just reduce it down to adding stuff, removing stuff and combinations thereof. So teleportation would just be simultaneously removing it from where it is and adding it to the destination, a fireball would just be adding fire and kinetic energy whilst removing anything that would hamper it, slowing down time would just be adding more time to act for one person so everything seems slower to them and generic giant golems would be adding life to something and removing the square-cube law from it.
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

tuypo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1549 on: August 23, 2014, 06:42:02 am »

Depends on how magic works in that setting, but at a glance, that that looks fine.

If it's just the usual fare of random arbitrary things, you could probably just reduce it down to adding stuff, removing stuff and combinations thereof. So teleportation would just be simultaneously removing it from where it is and adding it to the destination, a fireball would just be adding fire and kinetic energy whilst removing anything that would hamper it, slowing down time would just be adding more time to act for one person so everything seems slower to them and generic giant golems would be adding life to something and removing the square-cube law from it.
well what i was actually referring to was doing those things to pure magic turning that magic into a spell comes later but thanks for the input anyway

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #1550 on: August 30, 2014, 01:08:38 am »

I was thinking of running a NetHack-esque DnD 3.5 game. One person at a time, high death rate, if you can offer the magic end-of-dungeon treasure to your god you 'ascend' and become a lesser god, have randomly generated dungeon levels with monsters for an entire party.

The workload for it would be much less than regular games and we could get a short racket going if the player and I are on at the same time.

Thoughts? I think it'd be fun to run forum NetHack.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #1551 on: August 30, 2014, 01:17:00 am »

It sounds demonic and interesting.

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #1552 on: August 30, 2014, 09:51:20 am »

It would be interesting if someone were to run a game similar to We are our Avatars, except not minimalist.
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #1553 on: August 30, 2014, 09:55:38 am »

I approve of Nethack 3.5
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1554 on: August 30, 2014, 02:54:26 pm »

It would be interesting if someone were to run a game similar to We are our Avatars, except not minimalist.

A while back I ran a game of this sort on another forum, and I've seen a few on this one as well. They all had game-depth to them, with each avatar character having their own attributes, skills, strengths and weaknesses.
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #1555 on: August 30, 2014, 09:32:21 pm »

Agreed.

I approve of non-minimalist (and also non-RtD) WaoA.

I'd think up attributes and skills and stuff, but I'm too busy filling out the Illustrated Handbook to think up an RPG system.

Also, NetHack 3.5 will be thought out and up shortly.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1556 on: August 31, 2014, 04:25:58 pm »

I thought, with the XCOM derivatives we've had recently, it'd be fun to flip the thing around. You are Alien Invaders!

You've been tasked with subjugating this petty, primitive planet for the glory of your empire. You have superior technology, overwhelming force, anything an invader could ask for - except you are on a budget, your superiors are constantly breathing down your neck and meddling with your conquest, the minion races are proving weak and useless, and these 'humans' seem bizarrely adept in reverse-engineering your technology.

You'll need to allocate forces across the globe - there's a terror quota to meet, dontchaknow! - oversee operations, breed troops in the gene labs, infiltrate these manling governments, beg the higher-ups for more credits, and deal with this incredibly pesky human taskforce thwarting you at every step! It'd drive a lesser alien mad, or going for the orbital bombardment switch, but how hard can it be to take over one little planet?
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1557 on: August 31, 2014, 07:03:12 pm »

Would people be upset if I started a third DnD 3.5 campaign? I think I'd like to try a Evil campaign.
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #1558 on: August 31, 2014, 07:06:34 pm »

Probably not.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #1559 on: August 31, 2014, 07:08:26 pm »

Would people be upset if I started a third DnD 3.5 campaign? I think I'd like to try a Evil campaign.
The only person who'd be upset is you, if it turns out you couldn't handle three at once.
That said, I'm all for it. You're making running games look easy.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 ... 238