Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 238

Author Topic: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)  (Read 407373 times)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)
« Reply #1560 on: August 31, 2014, 07:21:38 pm »

I thought, with the XCOM derivatives we've had recently, it'd be fun to flip the thing around. You are Alien Invaders!

You've been tasked with subjugating this petty, primitive planet for the glory of your empire. You have superior technology, overwhelming force, anything an invader could ask for - except you are on a budget, your superiors are constantly breathing down your neck and meddling with your conquest, the minion races are proving weak and useless, and these 'humans' seem bizarrely adept in reverse-engineering your technology.

You'll need to allocate forces across the globe - there's a terror quota to meet, dontchaknow! - oversee operations, breed troops in the gene labs, infiltrate these manling governments, beg the higher-ups for more credits, and deal with this incredibly pesky human taskforce thwarting you at every step! It'd drive a lesser alien mad, or going for the orbital bombardment switch, but how hard can it be to take over one little planet?
This sounds fun, but the problem with being the evil empire is that there's not as much room to improve. When you're the desperate outmatched rebels, you can gain just about anywhere because you started off with nothing.

So on that note, I think it'd need something a bit more RPGish. Setting up refineries and expanding your fleet despite losing vessels could kind of work, but I feel like it'd be a lot more satisfying if you were leveling up bioengineering or something while you were at it. Probably also designing new ships and goons or at least swapping components and procedures around.

EDIT: ALSO I am TRYING to make a DWARF FORTRESS game please stop tempting me with XCOM.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 07:27:16 pm by IronyOwl »
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1561 on: August 31, 2014, 07:57:50 pm »

@XCOM: Perhaps giving the focus to the players advancement rather then the invasion itself would give a feeling of being an underdog. Do note, I'm taking some inspiration from that "most realistic RTS" cracked article.

The glorious alien empire has won it's galactic conquest! It now stretches across the galaxy... and is completely over-stretched and unable to do anything properly. The public has completely lost faith in the newly ascended Emperor and this whole invasion of a fairly backwater planet is an attempt at "winning back the crowd". At first, you are provided ridiculous amounts of money and extremely powerful minions. At first it seems like you're going to win in a few weeks... But then the Emperor dies of a sudden illness and is replaced with his son who is completely against the war and wants to focus on an isolationist policy.

So, game over, right? Well, due to a quirk in feudal law, any orders from the previous Emperor cannot be stopped until they are completed. The war must continue until it is over. With the excuse of "shuffling equipment and money to areas where it is desperately needed", all your cool shit is taken away and you are ultimately left with a rubber band, a few twigs, and an extremely outdated genetic modifier. And as it turns out, the humans just finished reverse-engineering the cool tech you had before...

So it begins. The Emperor wants this war stopped. If it stops, you lose your job. The public is watching. The enemy is cunning and ready to exploit any weakness. Are you ready to make yourself look as good as possible in the inevitable political clusterfuck that will ensue? Find out.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 07:59:38 pm by Fniff »

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1562 on: September 01, 2014, 02:52:55 am »

That's pretty much exactly what I had in mind, Irony. And Fniff gets political meddling element - your superiors are always looking for excuses to shut you down and tie you up in outrageous demands and red tape.

You'd start with a standard-issue small mothership, a handful of scout ships and a few medium ones, an army of the weakest, most cowardly cannon fodder (and some well-equipped troops of your own species) and their commanders, a small gene lab and engineering plant. You'll need to plop down Exploitation Modules to convert Earthling materials for your own use, but they could be found and attacked if you don't keep watch.

As the game goes along, you breed/construct new types of troops on your limited budget. You'll need more resources and biomass to feed them, of course. Fuel costs this region of the galaxy are outrageous, y'know. On the other hand, you get to create all the abominations against nature, science, or both you could ever want. You can also requisition additional ships and assets from home, but that just draws closer scrutiny from the politicians.

I thought you could have some traits which double as fatal flaws, chosen at start. 'Alien Atmosphere' (you can't breathe the air in this dump, but then, neither can they once you start terraforming it to normal), 'Networked' (the minds of the invaders are connected psychically or technologically - their leaders improve their skill on the field, but they also die or panic when a leader, including you, is killed), 'Isolated' (you're not bothered by politicians as much, but good luck getting anything from home), etc.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1564 on: September 04, 2014, 12:41:39 pm »

So would anyone be interested in a suggestion game where you play a fantasy abolishionist? You could play someone of power and could buy slaves (and then free them) to act as your agents, secretly undermine the slavers, publicly organise rallies against slavery, and maybe do some espionage and 'public relations' yourself.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #1565 on: September 04, 2014, 12:56:18 pm »

KayJay, you're already planning to abandon your brand new game.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1566 on: September 04, 2014, 01:06:15 pm »

Not at all. Just an idea I had.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #1567 on: September 04, 2014, 01:12:31 pm »

It's too late. You don't know it yet, but you've already given up.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #1568 on: September 07, 2014, 01:31:18 pm »

Is there any particular reason why we have a RTD Hall of Fame but not a FG&RP Hall of Fame?
It's FEF, not FEOF

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #1569 on: September 07, 2014, 01:34:31 pm »

Is there any particular reason why we have a RTD Hall of Fame but not a FG&RP Hall of Fame?

....it's not like it's been updated though

*stares off into the horizon while music plays*
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1570 on: September 07, 2014, 04:05:24 pm »

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=136383.0

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #1571 on: September 07, 2014, 04:18:43 pm »

That's not really a hall of fame though. It takes in any game that gets submitted and is more of just a cataloging tool
It's FEF, not FEOF

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't really have any answers for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1572 on: September 07, 2014, 04:38:06 pm »

That's not really a hall of fame though. It takes in any game that gets submitted and is more of just a cataloging tool

What, exactly, do you define as a Hall of Fame? Because the Forum Game List fits that bill quite well simply by virtue of being based on user submissions. Frankly, I think that anything else would cause more contention than admiration. Not everyone agrees on what makes a game "quality," and a Hall of Fame would serve to discourage people who don't make it in. The FGL is more egalitarian, and in my opinion, has the only Hall of Fame worth noting: a list of games that were actually completed. That's more in spirit with FGRP, I think, considering how many games don't make that cut here.
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #1573 on: September 07, 2014, 04:39:28 pm »

Fair enough.
It's FEF, not FEOF

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1574 on: September 07, 2014, 04:41:41 pm »

Off topic, but nice avatar, Squeegy.
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 238