Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 ... 238

Author Topic: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)  (Read 407534 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)
« Reply #1455 on: July 31, 2014, 03:04:20 pm »

Are you going with a rigid tech sheme, or a non-rigid tech tree. Because for the latter it might be better to set up a more flexible weapon system, because people are probably going try and break it in various ways.

mosshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1456 on: July 31, 2014, 03:24:23 pm »

Are you going with a rigid tech sheme, or a non-rigid tech tree. Because for the latter it might be better to set up a more flexible weapon system, because people are probably going try and break it in various ways.

Well I think both, theres a list of techs that you can research but you can always ask for anything else so I can decide if its within your level. I will make the stats for each weapon you can research. If you guys are suddenly shooting every alien ship down then they can just up the difficulty with bigger ships and a whole new set of weapons. Of course since you can also betray fellow humans for their stuff that would cause a problem in which case I would have to retcon the weapon stats.

Also I will never EVER let you guys get time travel since that instantly breaks the game. :D

mosshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1457 on: July 31, 2014, 03:29:39 pm »

Finished list of planets and stuff. Its not really detailed as I would want but theres no way I am going to say "research stations" on 120 moons and dwarf planets.

List of Sectors
Each sector contains planets and asteroids. The Gravslip drive requires ships to head towards gravity wells thus
it is not possible to journey through empty space to reach an area for humans. Fleets travel along each line. Because this
game follows Space Opera logic the distance disaparities are ignored.

How a Planetary sectors works: Each planet has 3 Subsectors: Far Orbit, Moon Orbit, Low Orbit. Because of the way Subluminal drives
work ships will enter near the planet in Low Orbit, to leave they will need to enter Moon orbit and then Far Orbit.

How a Asteroid sector works: Asteroid sectors have 5 Subsectors, North, South, Inner, Outer and Central. The Inner sector is
from the direction of Earth. Central contains any Dwarf Planets or large asteroids.

How Moons and Dwarf Planets work: Moons and Dwarf Planets only contain 1 Subsector called Orbit from here ships exit and enter
Exiting sends the ship to the planetary Moon Orbit Subsector and vice versa.

----Inner Solar System OverSector----

The Sun: Many research and industrial space stations orbit around the sun.

Mercury: A rather boring sunbaked place. Nothing to see here other than a few miners. There are rumors of strange sensors
readings along the dark side. Maybe theres an ancient ruin buried somewhere?

Venus: A few Corporate satellites Orbit around. The upper atmostphere contains a few million people in floating cities.
Who knows what could lie below the surface?

Earth: Our home. The most populated planet. Populaton 16 billion on the surface and underground. 20 million in local space.
-International Space station: A massive station that contains almost a million people. It is a hub for ship construction
and off world transportation. Many countries rent out sections for their own military bases. Along with its defense
satellites this acts as a last line of defense for Earth with recently installed weapons due to the sudden Alien threat.

-Orbiting Areas of Earth-
Luna: Earths moon has a population of 10 million plus 2 million in orbital satellites. Many Countries have their military
starbases here.

Mars: A heavily colonized planet with a population of 500 million and an orbital population of 1 million. The skies are
heavily choked with orbital docks and factories.

-Orbiting Areas of Mars-
Deimos: a small moon thoroughly drilled through with settlements.
Phobos: a small moon with several military installations.

----Asteroid Field OverSector----
Asteroid Field North: Contains many Corporation mining bases and ships.

Asteroid Field Central: Contains many Corporation mining facillities and Research bases. Also a few large Human Habitats
built for the families of Asteroid miners.

Asteroid Field South: Contains many miners and Ceres.

-Internal areas of AF south-
Ceres: A Dwarf planet with a few research stations on the surface and orbiting.
Various additional Dwarf planets: These will only be used if you build a research station or base.

----Outer Planets OverSector----

Jupiter: a massive gas giant with dozens of orbital gas mining stations
-Orbital area-
Dozens of moons you can make bases on or in orbit around them. There are rumors of alien artifacts.

Trojans: an asteroid field that used to have few miners. Now its mostly abandoned.

Saturn: a gas giant with rings. A few way stations are in orbit
-Orbital area-
 Dozens of moons you can make bases in or around. Strange structures have been noted underneath some of them.
Titan: a Moon with a significant corporate population of 10,000. They mine the surface for hydro carbons.

Centaurs: an asteroid field with a few research stations.

Uranus: while economically unimporant thanks to the bountiful asteroid field it is the first chokepoint on the path to earth
and has been a waystation and refueling station for a century. Now orbital defenses are starting to be created by UN forces.
There is a population of 15,000 amoung a few stations that service vessels.
-Orbital area-
Dozens of moons.

Neptune: a Dozen moons and a few stations. Its not as strategicly important as Uranus but its on the path to the Kuiper belt

Greeks: a small Asteroid field. One or two research stations. Occasional rumors of a derelict alien ship on the outskirts.

----Frontier OverSector----

Pluto: a boring rock that used to be a planet. Still its solid ground unlike the previous four planets so theres a 40,000
people here for research and manufacturing.

Kuiper north: Plenty of asteroids and hundreds of mining ships. There are fewer corportations so free lancers from the
inner system have been pushed out here. Valuble metals are found here along with unknown ones that may be needed in
the future. Confirmed Presence of alien derelicts.
-internal area-
Eris: a dwarf planet with research stations and a refit dock. It is used to repair mining ships.

Kuiper north central: Plenty of asteroids and hundreds of mining ships. There are fewer corportations so free lancers from the
inner system have been pushed out here. Valuble metals are found here along with unknown ones that may be needed in
the future. Confirmed Presence of alien derelicts. Piracy occurs often here.

Kuiper south central: Plenty of asteroids and hundreds of mining ships. There are fewer corportations so free lancers from the
the future. Confirmed Presence of alien derelicts. A religious cult has set up base on several asteroids here.

Kuiper south: Plenty of asteroids and hundreds of mining ships. There are fewer corportations so free lancers from the
the future. Confirmed Presence of alien derelicts.

mosshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1458 on: July 31, 2014, 05:18:48 pm »

Partial writeup of how you get materials and stuff.

Also formatting sucks.

Resource Acquistion

Money is calculated from your population units. Population units are general indication of the productivity of your
civilians. Thus instead of waiting for the population to grow you can build space stations to increase the unit count because
the reduction of actual population numbers on earth reduces unemployment due to overpopulation. In the same way genetic
engineering and cybernetic enchancement will also increase the population.

Population     Money per turn
100                100
120                150
140                190
160                220
180                240
200                250
220                260
+20                +10

You can also get money from other players and the UN.

Material mainly come from asteroid and planetary mining. Earth has used up most of its resources so you cannot expect to
be able to build ships from Earth. Improvements can be made that increase the production greatly to several times the original.

Area     Material per turn
     Small station    Military base    Small settlement   Settlement  Colony   Small nation/Space Habitat    Nation     
Sun          5                  5                    5                              5          10             10                               10
Small moon   20            20               30                           30           30             35                              40
Mercury      10            10               20                              30            35             40                            40
Venus        10             10               20                              30            30               30                          30
Earth             0             0                X                             X                  X                40                         40
Luna         10              10               30                              40         45             50                                   60
Mars         20              10               30                             40         45             60                       70
A Field      40              20               40                             60         80             150                       X
Jupiter      30              20               30                             35         35             35                        X
Trojans      5              5                10                              20         30             50                        X
Saturn       20            10               20                             30         40             35                        X
Titan        40              40               60                            70         75             80                       100
Centaurs     Same as Trojans
Uranus       30            20               30                           40         50             70                        X
Neptune      Same as Uranus
Greeks       Same as Trojans
Pluto        50            40               60                             70         80             100                      120
Kuiper F     70            40               100                        120        160            300                       X
All others such as dwarf planets and moons are case by case.

Research comes from settlements and research bases. It also comes from alien artifacts and detroyed ships. Some research
is specific for only one technology, this is from studying a specific item

Area    Research per turn
        Small station    Military base    Small settlement   Settlement  Colony   Small nation/Space Habitat    Nation

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1459 on: July 31, 2014, 05:21:23 pm »

Tables are a forum feature, if you're looking to optimize them for here. Grid button to access, copy td tags for additional columns in that row, tr tags with td tags inside them for extra rows.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

mosshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1460 on: July 31, 2014, 10:00:49 pm »

Tables are a forum feature, if you're looking to optimize them for here. Grid button to access, copy td tags for additional columns in that row, tr tags with td tags inside them for extra rows.

Thanks. I was pretty annoyed though that it ignored my carefully spacebarred rows when I copied it from note pad   :P

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1461 on: July 31, 2014, 11:25:36 pm »

I suppose I could also do the aliens in a Wave mode basically after you wipe out one species a harder one takes its place .
 Like:
The reapers->the Borg-> the Zerg -> the shivans ->the flood -> the Vong-> the Tyranids-> the Bydo.

Can anyone think of any other hive mind/insectoid/space nazi alien race?

...couldn't we give them more character and motivation? Instead of it being 'well obviously these are the enemy in every way...and therefore we don't have to ever worry about traitors or anything'?

There was a novel (series?) I liked (and no matter how hard I search for it now I cannot find the name) in which the aliens were hostile to humans because our radio transmissions were extremely painful to their ancestor spirit ghosts that could teleport which is how they achieved FTL communication, and thus thought we were attacking them, and always targeted our communication systems first in fights...whole point of the story is resolving the misunderstanding, I think. And huge annihilatory battles.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

mosshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1462 on: August 01, 2014, 02:33:51 pm »

I suppose I could also do the aliens in a Wave mode basically after you wipe out one species a harder one takes its place .
 Like:
The reapers->the Borg-> the Zerg -> the shivans ->the flood -> the Vong-> the Tyranids-> the Bydo.

...couldn't we give them more character and motivation? Instead of it being 'well obviously these are the enemy in every way...and therefore we don't have to ever worry about traitors or anything'?

There was a novel (series?) I liked (and no matter how hard I search for it now I cannot find the name) in which the aliens were hostile to humans because our radio transmissions were extremely painful to their ancestor spirit ghosts that could teleport which is how they achieved FTL communication, and thus thought we were attacking them, and always targeted our communication systems first in fights...whole point of the story is resolving the misunderstanding, I think. And huge annihilatory battles.

Check a few posts ago, I had a chart. I would really like to see that series.

mosshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1463 on: August 01, 2014, 05:06:43 pm »

Ok Finished Resources, for the research part I made it more spread out than material.

Resource Acquistion

Money is calculated from your population units. Population units are general indication of the productivity of your
civilians. Thus instead of waiting for the population to grow you can build space stations to increase the unit count because
the reduction of actual population numbers on earth reduces unemployment due to overpopulation. In the same way genetic
engineering and cybernetic enchancement will also increase the population.

Population     Money per turn
100                100
120                150
140                190
160                220
180                240
200                250
220                260
+20                +10

You can also get money from other players and the UN.

Material mainly come from asteroid and planetary mining. Earth has used up most of its resources so you cannot expect to
be able to build ships from Earth. Improvements can be made that increase the production greatly to several times the original.
Please note that Stations and Settlements coexist.

Area     Material per turn
Sun                5              5                   5                          5          10                          10                       10
Small moon   20            20                30                        30          30                          35                       40
Mercury         10            10                20                        30          35                          40                       40
Venus            10            10                20                        30          30                          30                       30
Earth               0              0                  X                           X           X                          40                       40
Luna              10            10                30                        40          45                          50                       60
Mars              20            10                30                        40          45                          60                       70
A Field           40            20                 40                        60          80                        150                        X
Jupiter           30            20                 30                         35         35                          35                        X
Trojans          5               5                  10                        20          30                          50                        X
Saturn           20            10                 20                         30          40                         35                        X
Titan              40            40                 60                        70          75                          80                     100
Uranus           30            20                30                         40          50                         70                        X
Pluto              50            40                60                         70          80                       100                      120
Kuiper F         70            40                100                       120       160                      300                       X
All others such as dwarf planets and moons are case by case.

Research comes from settlements and research bases. It also comes from alien artifacts and detroyed ships. Artifacts and
captured technology decrease the cost of research for that item. Please note that Stations and Settlements coexist.

Area    Research per turn
Sun               20            20                            20              20            20                       20                       20
Small moon   20            20                            30              30            30                       35                       40
Mercury         10            10                            10              10            20                       40                       40
Venus            20            10                            40              40            40                       40                       60
Earth             60            80                              X                 X              X                     100                      150
Luna              30            30                            30              50            80                      100                      160
Mars              50            30                            50              80            90                      100                      150
A Field            50            10                            10              10            20                        60                        X
Jupiter            60            20                            20              20            30                        70                        X
Trojans           50            10                            10              10            20                        50                        X
Saturn            60            10                            10              10            20                        65                        X
Titan               80            20                            20              20            25                      100                      150
Uranus            60            20                            20              20            30                        80                        X
Pluto               90            20                            20              20            40                      100                      120
Kuiper F          60            40                            40              40            50                       100                       X
All others such as dwarf planets and moons are case by case. Based on real life, a planet with Cryovolanoes will have more
research points that a barren rock even if they are the same size.

Rare Materials are used in construction of equipment and fuel. They may also be used in RP sections such as using a
large amount of uranium to blow up an asteroid for a one time boost in material. At first there are only a few types
of rare material but more will be discovered or salvaged.

Uranium: a generic for all radioactive material. It is used to make reactors, fuel nuclear engines and used in nuclear
weapons. Produced via specialized mining facilities or breeder reactors.

Titanium: Used to make engines and better armor. Produced via special mines.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1464 on: August 01, 2014, 08:49:50 pm »

Like:

Check a few posts ago, I had a chart. I would really like to see that series.
Ah. I would suggest adding something relating to magic; basically, the race manipulates physics or does things that would normally be considered impossible, and while there's a reason for it, nobody knows what it is, not them, not us, and so it's basically magic. Simple explanation is they're the survivors of a fallen empire or the like with technology left over, possibly self-reproducing technology incorporated into their biology and such, far above anything we know and more complex than what we understand. Part of the reason the empire fell, perhaps, was the decadence they indulged in; they had the ability to bypass physics, but they used to to make lightning shoot from their finger tips, rather than creating split-second black holes inside their enemy's skulls.

Also maybe something relating to psionics? A lot of truly high-tech sci-fi things often incorporate psionics into a weapon alien races wield(to be fair, they'll turn basically anything into a weapon alien races wield, from probability to pheromones). Not really important unless it's some types of hiveminds, in all honesty.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #1465 on: August 01, 2014, 09:06:59 pm »

If you ask me, I think it's bad to spoil good sci-fi with magicks.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1466 on: August 01, 2014, 09:13:13 pm »

If you ask me, I think it's bad to spoil good sci-fi with magicks.
Not magicks. I just mean Sufficiently Advanced Science. We don't understand it, neither do they. Could manifest in any number of ways, from biological monstrosities that shouldn't be able to survive, to materials that withstand forces beyond anything currently manufacturable.

It's just being honest with the Handwavium; acknowledging that there isn't a cut and dry explanation for how everything works adds credence to sci-fi, too; we don't know everything now, in the future there'll just be more stuff not to know about/understand.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #1467 on: August 01, 2014, 09:17:07 pm »

I prefer hard science, but I agree that a little magic pixie dust here and there can be very healthy to a good story.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #1468 on: August 01, 2014, 09:17:57 pm »

meh lets let mosshadow setup the setting the way he envisions it, it's his after all.
It's FEF, not FEOF

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #1469 on: August 01, 2014, 09:19:50 pm »

meh lets let mosshadow setup the setting the way he envisions it, it's his after all.
^^
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 ... 238