Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 238

Author Topic: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)  (Read 407529 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)
« Reply #1440 on: July 30, 2014, 04:06:46 pm »

I am most interested.

mosshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1441 on: July 30, 2014, 04:31:23 pm »

I made a map and a list of planets along with basic movement rules. The list is not done yet because its pretty long

List of Sectors
Each sector contains planets and asteroids. The Gravslip drive requires ships to head towards gravity wells thus
it is not possible to journey through empty space to reach an area for humans. Fleets travel along each line. Because this
game follows Space Opera logic the distance disaparities are ignored.

How a Planetary sectors works: Each planet has 3 Subsectors: Far Orbit, Moon Orbit, Low Orbit. Because of the way Subluminal drives
work ships will enter near the planet in Low Orbit, to leave they will need to enter Moon orbit and then Far Orbit.

How a Asteroid sector works: Asteroid sectors have 5 Subsectors, North, South, Inner, Outer and Central. The Inner sector is
from the direction of Earth. Central contains any Dwarf Planets or large asteroids.

How Moons and Dwarf Planets work: Moons and Dwarf Planets only contain 1 Subsector called Orbit from here ships exit and enter
Exiting sends the ship to the planetary Moon Orbit Subsector and vice versa.

----Inner Solar System OverSector----

The Sun: Many research and industrial space stations orbit around the sun.

Mercury: A rather boring sunbaked place. Nothing to see here other than a few miners. There are rumors of strange sensors
readings along the dark side. Maybe theres an ancient ruin buried somewhere?

Venus: A few Corporate satellites Orbit around. The upper atmostphere contains a few million people in floating cities.
Who knows what could lie below the surface?

Earth: Our home. The most populated planet. Populaton 16 billion on the surface and underground. 20 million in local space.
-International Space station: A massive station that contains almost a million people. It is a hub for ship construction
and off world transportation. Many countries rent out sections for their own military bases. Along with its defense
satellites this acts as a last line of defense for Earth with recently installed weapons due to the sudden Alien threat.

-Orbiting Areas of Earth-
Luna: Earths moon has a population of 10 million plus 2 million in orbital satellites. Many Countries have their military
starbases here.

Mars: A heavily colonized planet with a population of 500 million and an orbital population of 1 million. The skies are
heavily choked with orbital docks and factories.

-Orbiting Areas of Mars-
Deimos: a small moon thoroughly drilled through with settlements.
Phobos: a small moon with several military installations.

----Asteroid Field OverSector----
Asteroid Field North: Contains many Corporation mining bases and ships.

Asteroid Field Central: Contains many Corporation mining facillities and Research bases. Also a few large Human Habitats
built for the families of Asteroid miners.

Asteroid Field South: Contains many miners and Ceres.

-Internal areas of AF south-
Ceres: A Dwarf planet with a few research stations on the surface and orbiting.
Various additional Dwarf planets: These will only be used if you build a research station or base.

----Outer Planets OverSector----

Jupiter: a massive gas giant with dozens of orbital gas mining stations
-Orbital area-
Dozens of moons you can make bases on or in orbit around them. There are rumors of alien artifacts.

Trojans: an asteroid field that used to have few miners. Now its mostly abandoned.

Saturn: a gas giant with rings. A few way stations are in orbit
-Orbital area-
 Dozens of moons you can make bases in or around. Strange structures have been noted underneath some of them.
Titan: a Moon with a significant corporate population of 10,000. They mine the surface for hydro carbons.

Centaurs: an asteroid field with a few research stations.

Uranus: while economically unimporant thanks to the bountiful asteroid field it is the first chokepoint on the path to earth
and has been a waystation and refueling station for a century. Now orbital defenses are starting to be created by UN forces.
There is a population of 15,000 amoung a few stations that service vessels.
-Orbital area-
Dozens of moons.

Neptune:

mosshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #1443 on: July 30, 2014, 04:45:22 pm »

With regards to the ship building (the part I read) that looks absolutely fucking brilliant. A badass system.
I ran something similar one. The biggest problem is in balancing the part list.
Balancing is the hardest and most discouraging part of making your own system, which can be really fun to do normally. You just need to dive in and not be afraid of making mistakes and just fix things as they come up.

yeah.....

Does anyone have an idea for the name of the aliens?
Psilans

mosshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1444 on: July 30, 2014, 05:24:17 pm »

With regards to the ship building (the part I read) that looks absolutely fucking brilliant. A badass system.
I ran something similar one. The biggest problem is in balancing the part list.
Balancing is the hardest and most discouraging part of making your own system, which can be really fun to do normally. You just need to dive in and not be afraid of making mistakes and just fix things as they come up.

yeah.....

Does anyone have an idea for the name of the aliens?
Psilans

Sounds good for now

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1445 on: July 30, 2014, 11:44:33 pm »

They're hostile ain't they?

We'd give them some sort of vaguely derogative code name that would eventually be reduced to a catchy abbreviation.

*shrugs*
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

mosshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1446 on: July 31, 2014, 10:29:55 am »

I suppose I could also do the aliens in a Wave mode basically after you wipe out one species a harder one takes its place .
 Like:
The reapers->the Borg-> the Zerg -> the shivans ->the flood -> the Vong-> the Tyranids-> the Bydo.

Can anyone think of any other hive mind/insectoid/space nazi alien race?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1447 on: July 31, 2014, 10:53:49 am »

Dalek, Cybermen, Xenon, Kha'ak, ...

On a side, I dislike directly importing threats from popular media.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #1448 on: July 31, 2014, 10:58:20 am »

What about importing them, combining them with general moe type girls, and add in some not readily apparent horror?

mosshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1449 on: July 31, 2014, 12:47:47 pm »

Dalek, Cybermen, Xenon, Kha'ak, ...

On a side, I dislike directly importing threats from popular media.

Yeah but they make good inspiration.  I think I could make some sort of chart that we use to roll up alien races based on archetypes. For example there would be 3-5 traits that
are picked from individual lists

Mindset: Individual Extreme(narcissist), Individual Humanlike, Individual Herd, Light hivemind, Centralized Hivemind, decentralized Hivemind.
Body structure: Human, Humanoid, Bipedal, nonbipedal, No-body, Mechanical
Body type: Mammal, Insectoid, Reptoid, Blob, Energy, Demonic/Eldritch, Vehicle, Robot
Vehicle type:Metallic, Biomechanical, Biological, Energy.
Motivation: Benevolent Imperialistic, Nationalist Imperialistic, Resource mining, Lifeform consumption, Unknowable to human minds, Berserker Probe.

Based on which one it is affects their ship abilities and how your population reacts. Theres a higher chance of 5th columnists arising in your nation if you are fighting Humanoid aliens who just want to make earth into a colony and force their culture upon you than the Tentacle creatures who want to eat you.

EDIT: Also Based on mindset hiveminds would be better at reacting and can use ships as meat shields, but the destruction of certain ships can defeat the entire fleet (as in Enders Game).
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 01:06:03 pm by mosshadow »

mosshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1450 on: July 31, 2014, 12:48:09 pm »

What about importing them, combining them with general moe type girls, and add in some not readily apparent horror?

no

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1451 on: July 31, 2014, 02:25:38 pm »

Don't import the name but the general theme, the Borg and the Cybermen are mostly interchangeable so come up with a spin of the idea of a "race" of cyborges are wish to assimilate every one.

Maybe they want to share there power and tech with those they judge "worthy" of joining, and just trade with the "lesser" beings.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1452 on: July 31, 2014, 02:55:49 pm »

no
No vision!
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

mosshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1453 on: July 31, 2014, 03:00:01 pm »

So to makes weapons and armor I guess I should start by listing Weapon types and Damage types.

So going from modern to fantasy in weaponry:
Chemical Cannons: Pretty much what we have been using for 1000 years(in game) propellants would be at the most advanced possible. These should be much cheaper and longer
lasting than other weapons but the velocity would be low. Assuming Space Opera "Logic" they should be useful against fighters by using proximity detonators and explosive payloads(in real life explosives aren't very good in space). By using Nuclear or Antimatter shells you can make it much more useful.

Electromagnetic shells: Rail guns and Coil guns. For simplicity we can say coil guns are better since in real life they have had much better results due to the lack of contact with metal
parts. They would work similarly to chemical cannons but have less fire rate and a much higher velocity.

Lasers: I would think we can do 2 varieties Continuous beam and Pulse. CB does heat damage while Pulse is explosive. So CB melts through armor and shields while Pulse can easily destroy unarmored parts or fighters.

Radiation beam: Kills crew and damages electronics.

Particle beam: Like lasers but they cut through armor with tiny atoms and use much more energy.

Missile:Used once in the first stage battle in a volley, can contain whatever you want but the engines are what matter in terms of accuracy. In the beginning I suppose you would have Nuclear engines but later on you can move on to Antimatter.

Torpedo-:A short range weapon that is just a really big missile with a short range engine.

Molten beam: Basically a thick particle beam.

Plasma: a short range weapon that burns through hulls and does massive internal and crew damage.

Biological Acid: eats through the hull, does acid damage

Plasma Bolt: Basically those so called "lasers" that appear in star wars. A mix of kinetic and Burn effects.

Wave Cannon: A combination of Lasers and Plasma (somehow) with a multi turn charge up.

Disintegration Beam: Weapons that some how turn armor into dust. Extremely lethal against all armor.

Gravity weapons: Black holes and the like.

Damage Types:

Kinetic: From solid objects. Has a very low chance to degrade armor. Medium chance to hit crew. Low Block Damage. High penetration.

Kinetic Slam: From a ship being rammed or gravity weapons . Has a chance to tear armor off. High Chance to hit crew.  High Block damage. No penetration.

Melt: From heat and acid.  Has a high chance to degrade armor. High Chance to hit crew. High block damage. No penetration.

Blast Fragmentation: From explosives and lasers. Has almost no chance to degrade armor. Has High chance to hit crew. Low block damage. Almost no penetration.

Blast Shockwave: From explosives and lasers. Has a medium chance to degrade armor. Has a medium chance to hit crew. Medium Block damage. Low penetration.

Disintegrate: From certain beam weapons. High Chance to degrade armor. High chance to hit crew. High Block damage. No penetration.

Weapon description format

1st Stage:   K KS  M BF BS D
                   # #    #  #  #  #
2nd Stage:   # #    #  #  #  #

3rd Stage: etc

Accuracy:  Must be over 10.   D20 +Base#  + Computers/sensors - Enemy dodge(not for beams)- ECM or whatever
Special Rules: Basically says if it  hits multiple parts for beam weapons or automatic weapons.

The stages are for shells that contain explosives so instead of blowing up on the armor you can penetrate inside. Penetration is listed on the armor not the shell.

Anything I missed?

mosshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1454 on: July 31, 2014, 03:00:41 pm »

Don't import the name but the general theme, the Borg and the Cybermen are mostly interchangeable so come up with a spin of the idea of a "race" of cyborges are wish to assimilate every one.

Maybe they want to share there power and tech with those they judge "worthy" of joining, and just trade with the "lesser" beings.

Thats a good idea.

no
No vision!

:D
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 03:04:07 pm by mosshadow »
Pages: 1 ... 95 96 [97] 98 99 ... 238