Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 238

Author Topic: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)  (Read 407935 times)

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)
« Reply #1245 on: June 14, 2014, 04:35:45 pm »

My preference for a god game is the idea mentioned before where all things created must be made out of something. There's not a lot of precedence in mythology for gods creating things out of literally nothing, and it makes things more interesting when you can say the Squirrel People where created from the belly lint of a certain god.

Another important thing is that the gods shouldn't be impersonal forces. That works okay for monotheistic religions, but a big part of polytheistic mythology is the interaction between gods. And the gods should be human (or at least human-like beings) with human wants and desires. Even if gods can't starve to death, they should still feel hunger and might want to create a source of food soon enough to alleviate that problem. Maybe they might need to find or create some fruit or elixir to actually be immortal to begin with. The point is, gods should have reasons to create things other than the sublime joy of creating.

Also, some things should come into being that are explicitly created by the gods. Perhaps two god-made creatures mate and sire some foul offspring. Or maybe one day a bunch of stones up and decide to be dwarves from now on. The GM should add in random occurrences like this to add antagonists and just general interest to the game. Maybe this is how the gods might be able to obtain things and creatures more powerful than they themselves could create. Harry Baldman's post makes me wonder if it might not be a good idea to make the players new gods usurping some old gods who created the world in the first place (possibly even taken from a previous god game that died before it could get very far).

Oh, and one more thing I want to mention before I end this post: gods shouldn't start with domains (or portfolios or whatever you want to call them). It doesn't make sense for someone to be god of kobolds before kobolds have even been created (it's possible people have gotten past this bit of silliness since I last looked at a god game; if so, ignore the rest of this). Instead, I say that anything a player creates can be controlled by them, unless it's a unique item or creature, in which case control falls to whoever possess it, and any sentient creatures or beings have free will to do as they please (but their creators will get some sort of benefit from their worship or something). Also, if you make a new type of creature out of someone else's creation, you only gain control of your new creatures, though there might be some method(s) of usurping someone else's domains.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #1246 on: June 14, 2014, 04:38:52 pm »

So, my latest idea for a game:
The players are late 1800s businessmen, each running a moderately sized business in some commodity like oil or steel or something at the start of the game. Their goal is to buy out all of the other companies owned by the other players and by the NPCs. All the while, as they grow more powerful, they must dodge assassination attempts, NPC business buyouts, and other such dangers. They may stay straight and honest, taking loans from the bank and paying them back, or they may become corrupt ne'er-do-wells, trading craploads of cash from shady sources like the organized crime syndicate in exchange for increased risk of death and "favors". As the players play, time passes, and as the years go by, more industries arise, starting with things like automobiles and eventually growing to 80s industries. Of course, anti-monopoly acts will eventually permanently impede the players' progress, and their goal becomes to own the most businesses at the end of the game without getting arrested or killed.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1247 on: June 15, 2014, 11:33:11 am »

I would love to play that if you make it, it sounds awesome.

Now then, business: GWG, as many of you know, got hit with a perma-ban.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1248 on: June 15, 2014, 11:43:34 am »

Huh, so he did. I'm sorry for any players in his games/games with him, but...

...thank god, at last. He was by far the worst and most obnoxious player I've ever had the misfortune to play with and I know for a fact he played a large part in killing several games I loved. Okay, maybe I just never saw his good side. But it seems to have been damned hard to spot.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1249 on: June 15, 2014, 11:59:30 am »

Yeah, he has a serious habit of never backing down from an argument. Toady had to remove days of posts from his last argument, as far as I can guess, which proves my point. I once had a two page argument with him about how exactly life survives in a post-apocalyptic environment without sun when I just wanted to yell at him "Just go with it!".

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1250 on: June 15, 2014, 12:51:38 pm »

I might have tendency to do that as well. Hope I haven't been an inconvenience for anyone.

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1251 on: June 15, 2014, 01:03:21 pm »

So, my latest idea for a game:
The players are late 1800s businessmen, each running a moderately sized business in some commodity like oil or steel or something at the start of the game. Their goal is to buy out all of the other companies owned by the other players and by the NPCs. All the while, as they grow more powerful, they must dodge assassination attempts, NPC business buyouts, and other such dangers. They may stay straight and honest, taking loans from the bank and paying them back, or they may become corrupt ne'er-do-wells, trading craploads of cash from shady sources like the organized crime syndicate in exchange for increased risk of death and "favors". As the players play, time passes, and as the years go by, more industries arise, starting with things like automobiles and eventually growing to 80s industries. Of course, anti-monopoly acts will eventually permanently impede the players' progress, and their goal becomes to own the most businesses at the end of the game without getting arrested or killed.

I'd be into industrial dirty businessman gaming. I'm down.
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #1252 on: June 15, 2014, 01:26:58 pm »

Huh, so he did. I'm sorry for any players in his games/games with him, but...
This feels strange, considering he was one of the people who introduced me to the forum. I considered him a friend.

Oh, well, I guess it can't be helped.

In the gaming discussion, illustrating a game is hard. Even when the game hasn't started yet, I'm preparing as many resources as I can, and it's just hard to keep focused.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1253 on: June 15, 2014, 02:09:27 pm »

I'm doing a similar thing right now. I have an advantage in that I have so many unfinished projects I've never published that I can just steal resources from without feeling bad about it. I find that drawing a basic subject (For instance, human models) then going as minimal as you can while having it still look good works perfectly. I suggest always keeping it simple for forum games because you're going to need to modify it as often as possible. We'd all like to be drawing Homestuck but you have to make a choice between a dynamic style and a complicated style. I prefer the former over the latter because I hate when things are too copy-pasted.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 02:11:34 pm by Fniff »

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #1254 on: June 15, 2014, 08:56:24 pm »

It's a question of art design, really; I've seen games and projects do quite well with heavy copypasta. Like most things, update speed compensates for image quality.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #1255 on: June 15, 2014, 09:17:44 pm »

I misread that as creepypasta for a moment and it made me comtemplate an actually game where you deal with various creepypastas.
I'd figure they'd have to be modified and not completely realistic as some (Jeff, Sonic.exe) would be really easy and boring to beat while others (Slendie... Worm Jeff I suppose) would be darned impossible.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #1256 on: June 15, 2014, 09:36:19 pm »

. We'd all like to be drawing Homestuck

>.>
<.<
>.>

Derm, would you mind filling everyone in on my project? I think it's time to drop the veil of secrecy.
Of course, it's still not ready....
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #1257 on: June 15, 2014, 09:42:32 pm »

Oh, did you guys clone Andrew Hussie?
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #1258 on: June 15, 2014, 09:44:57 pm »

FFS did
It's FEF, not FEOF

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1259 on: June 16, 2014, 12:24:02 pm »

Civil War: 23rd Regiment of the Damned
The Civil War was raging across the South like a wildfire, brother killed brother and father killed son as the war tore the nation apart between the Union and the Confederate States who refused to change their way of life. The first signs of what was happening came from witnesses from throughout the nation, terrified and half-mad they spoke of walking corpses that devoured living flesh and they were simply brushed aside and locked away or put down for we assumed they were insane. Boy were we proven wrong, what happened in St. Louis proved the supposed madmen right as the dead rose from graves, walked out of the forests and hills, and fell upon the city where Captain Lyon lead his mean in a valiant last stand against these foul creatures.

Their stand gave many of the citizens time to flee, but Lyon and his company where slaughtered to a man holding the line against the seemingly endless horde. From there it only went downhill as more of these attacks began overrunning cities and towns all over the North and the South, before long both the Union and the Confederacy found themselves confined to far less land than they once had as they failed over and over to rebel these monsters. Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, Atlanta, Charleston, Cleveland, and the surrounding towns became bastions of humanity where the armies of the dead could not reach for the defenders were to many in such confined areas but even when over half of the land of the United States was lost to those monsters the South continued its war of independence. Even now as I'm telling you this Colonel Jacob is taking the 11th Infantry to meet Union forces who have came North looking for a fight, even in dark times humanity seems to rely on the greed in their hearts. Any who the reason I've brought you here is to give you command, you are going to be the leader of the 23rd Safeguard Regiment, the so called Damned who fight to keep our lands safe and I'm passing this command to you because I reckon I'ma go with Jacob and strike the South. This war is gotta end son so we can fight the true enemy, and I need you to keep our lands safe while we march to bring peace between the South and the North lets just hope we weren't to slow in acting  ...

------

This is an idea I had for a game about (Yes you guessed it!) a Civil War where in the midst of the dead came back to life to hunt the living, and the players will control a regiment in this alternate universe tasked with safeguarding what little land remains to the Union from the hordes of the dead. Of course I had in my mind for this to be a suggestion game because its easier to handle than dividing up the regiment between a bunch of different players. Anyway I didn't just come here to spout some prologue stuffs I came to get some input about the idea, and the ruleset for it so here we go.

First things first combat, I'm gonna keep it fairly simple just using d6s as the dice to be rolled to determine whether the attacks hit/their effectiveness in some cases.

Spoiler: Combat (click to show/hide)

And that's what I've got so far.
Pages: 1 ... 82 83 [84] 85 86 ... 238