Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 238

Author Topic: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)  (Read 406791 times)

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Block (Game Discussion Thread) (Totally Not Roller's Block)
« Reply #90 on: February 16, 2013, 04:26:26 pm »

Dangit, now I'm mushing Adventure Time and Wheel of Time together in my head. The Lich is totally Ishamael.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 17, 2013, 02:54:58 pm »

Right, the curse upon the lack of Urban Fantasy Godhoods has been broken, as it has now materialized! Check it out!

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 17, 2013, 04:01:09 pm »

I've been thinking of running some kind of strategy game, where the players take control of individual military forces and compete to take over a stretch of land. I'm not entirely sure what the mechanics would be though, since I've always have been absolutely terrible at making homebrew mechanics. I think it'd probably be a d100 system, and there would be certain bonuses to that roll depending on terrain, and probably a "Rock Paper Scissors" type system where X troop is good against Y, but Y troop is good against Z.

Alternatively I've been wanting to run a game of Only War since the official version has been released a little bit ago, tried running it in beta but since everyone was in different time-zones I couldn't schedule a day where people would be able to show up. Might try running it again, since I still have most of my custom campaign for it written out.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 17, 2013, 04:04:28 pm »

Right, the curse upon the lack of Urban Fantasy Godhoods has been broken, as it has now materialized! Check it out!
Now you just need to break the curse that lies on regular Godhood's, namely that each one'll be shorter than the last.

((Though Caesar already kinda broke it))

mcclay

• Bay Watcher
  • Gay, Tired and Just here to Vibe
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 17, 2013, 05:25:40 pm »

I would not mind seeing another Countires @ War. I personally don't have the time or math skills to do so but I have fond memories of them. The one moon cannon indeed.
Am I back? Its a mystery to everyone

RulerOfNothing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 17, 2013, 07:07:30 pm »

I would not mind seeing another Countires @ War. I personally don't have the time or math skills to do so but I have fond memories of them. The one moon cannon indeed.
What exactly is involved in doing a Countries at War game? I am somewhat interested in running one if the burden isn't too onerous.

Firelordsky

• Bay Watcher
  • Moogle!
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 17, 2013, 11:17:50 pm »

I'm thinking about running a suggestion game where the players play as an officer of a fictional elite force of the British Army during the 18th Century. Would anyone be actually interested?
Country Name: Lindiria
Name: Sir Alexei Robret
Region: North
In Thirteen Colonies Game

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 18, 2013, 12:06:26 am »

I'm thinking about running a suggestion game where the players play as an officer of a fictional elite force of the British Army during the 18th Century. Would anyone be actually interested?
If it's pure text, you have to do something to make it interesting. Whether that's some kind of interesting battle mechanics, illustrations, or extremely good writing it'll have to be SOMETHING. Many suggestion games are made, very few are actually remembered.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Welcome to Reality.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 21, 2013, 07:03:25 pm »

May as well bump the thread with a question. Does anyone have any recommendations towards some kind of map-making software? I remember seeing a few in the past, but I can barely remember them. I'm primarily looking for something that gives me the option to either make hex maps or square maps, but any suggestions would be great.
Welcome to Reality.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 21, 2013, 07:10:35 pm »

What would you guys think of a Homestuck RP? Not a system or anything, just an RP set in a vanilla session.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 21, 2013, 07:19:41 pm »

What kind of maps are you looking at? Simple grids of things? World maps? I just use Flash/Photoshop for grid based mapping, but there might be easier things. Here's some options:

Autorealm: Kind of clunky but has a lot of options. It's specifically tailored to cartography and fantasy-style map creation.
DAME: I frickin' love this software. It's specifically geared toward pixel-based Flash game development, but it's still awesome as a general purpose tile-based map editor. Has pretty good options for image export.
Tiled: Similar to DAME, but it's a little more general purpose. There's more support for adding map "pieces" as opposed to assuming the map maker has a tileset on hand.
Hexographer/Campain Cartographer: ($$$MONEY$$$) Paid software for map making. I've heard good things about both, but CC3 (as a software bundle) seems excellent.

What would you guys think of a Homestuck RP? Not a system or anything, just an RP set in a vanilla session.

God no. I mean, okay, there's probably people here it appeals to. But there are literally hundreds of those on the MSPA forums, and the vast majority of them end up being afflicted by Sues, bad writing, failed attempts at humor, and god moding toward both other players and the session at large.

I have no reason to think Bay12 would be any different.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 21, 2013, 07:22:11 pm »

Considering how the last 2 freeforms died, the concern is very reasonable. Neglect is almost as bad as sues.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 21, 2013, 07:25:38 pm »

I took part in a Homestuck RP once, and now it provides to be one of the many things I always remember and instantly feel ashamed about. But seriously, I have some experience with freeform RP's on this forum. All of them have turned into mary-sue concentrated RP's where every tries to one-up each other and godmod.

Oh and thanks Freeform, I'll check those out. I was only asking for a software that did it primarily because I have no skill whatsoever when it comes to image-editing software.
Welcome to Reality.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 21, 2013, 07:34:29 pm »

I took part in a Homestuck RP once, and now it provides to be one of the many things I always remember and instantly feel ashamed about. But seriously, I have some experience with freeform RP's on this forum. All of them have turned into mary-sue concentrated RP's where every tries to one-up each other and godmod.

Oh and thanks Freeform, I'll check those out. I was only asking for a software that did it primarily because I have no skill whatsoever when it comes to image-editing software.
Yeah, we don't have the best record with freeforms. I think pretty much the only one that got it right that I can remember was Keeping up with Bay12, and I wasn't even in that one, so I wouldn't know.

But yeah, I was just looking at that option to reduce the GM delay in the current HS systems we have, though I realize they're very reasonable. We'll see how Roll to Strife goes.

EDIT: Forgot to say thank you for the links, FFS.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 07:40:39 pm by Doomblade187 »

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 21, 2013, 07:38:13 pm »

What kind of maps are you looking at? Simple grids of things? World maps? I just use Flash/Photoshop for grid based mapping, but there might be easier things. Here's some options:

Autorealm: Kind of clunky but has a lot of options. It's specifically tailored to cartography and fantasy-style map creation.
DAME: I frickin' love this software. It's specifically geared toward pixel-based Flash game development, but it's still awesome as a general purpose tile-based map editor. Has pretty good options for image export.
Tiled: Similar to DAME, but it's a little more general purpose. There's more support for adding map "pieces" as opposed to assuming the map maker has a tileset on hand.
Hexographer/Campain Cartographer: ($$$MONEY$$$) Paid software for map making. I've heard good things about both, but CC3 (as a software bundle) seems excellent.

God no. I mean, okay, there's probably people here it appeals to. But there are literally hundreds of those on the MSPA forums, and the vast majority of them end up being afflicted by Sues, bad writing, failed attempts at humor, and god moding toward both other players and the session at large.

*commits links to memory/bookmark*

Thanks FFS!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 238