Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Minecraft: Dwarf Fortress Edition (TerrafirmaCraft)  (Read 36326 times)

Dragonchampion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Minecraft: Dwarf Fortress Edition (TerrafirmaCraft)
« on: May 25, 2012, 02:28:40 pm »

Dwarf Fortress? In YOUR Minecraft?

it's more likely than you think:

http://www.terrafirmacraft.com/

This mod adds the multiple stones, wood, and even a metal working system like Dwarf Fortress. To me, this is the greatest mod ever. Single Player Dwarf Fortress!

What do you guys think of this mod?

Abysium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft: Dwarf Fortress Edition (TerrafirmaCraft)
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 02:30:05 pm »

minecraft is an abomination in Armoks eyes

Monk321654

• Bay Watcher
  • [COMPUTER_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 02:44:18 pm »

minecraft is an abomination in Armoks eyes
When you consider who Armok is, it's variable.
This Armok personally enjoys it.
This is a side-effect of dwarven animal training (hit animal with hammer until it forgets that it hates you, then lovingly cuddle it).

I'm not your average Bay12er. I care about my drunken midgets.

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2012, 02:48:00 pm »

Long and detailed discussions have concluded: you are not Armok. 
Put more simply, minecraft is an abomination.

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2012, 03:00:35 pm »

Mineraft was originally planned as a total ripoff of Dwarf Fortress, then it took an arrow to the knee HERESY!!! *BLAM* then it became something almost entirely different; Minecraft's not a space management by an stretch of the word, though it's a great deal more user-friendly than DF, despite the fact that both lack tutorials.

Basically, it's the difference between normal legos and lego robotics if lego robotics could easily be mistaken for Matrix Code. Both are cool in their own way, but you can't make giant lava defense systems that inexplicably flood your farms with water, or beat back the forces of Hell itself and grow strawberries there.
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
But the sad truth charlie?
It was inevitable.

Kestrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2012, 03:04:07 pm »

This would probably fit better in the "Other Games" forum.
Goblin 6 (to Goblin 7): I heard that I died.
Goblin 7 (to Goblin 6): I died.
Goblin 6 (to Goblin 7): It was inevitable.
Goblin 7 (to Goblin 6): It was inevitable.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2012, 03:08:40 pm »

This would probably fit better in the "Other Games" forum.
Where we have both a thread for Minecraft and Minecraft mods. I do welcome a discussion on this topic, if only to point out why the people suggesting obtuse features just because realism is stupid.

This axe is ready to grind
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

caddybear

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2012, 03:09:55 pm »

Mineraft was originally planned as a total ripoff of Dwarf Fortress, then it took an arrow to the knee HERESY!!! *BLAM* then it became something almost entirely different; Minecraft's not a space management by an stretch of the word, though it's a great deal more user-friendly than DF, despite the fact that both lack tutorials.

Basically, it's the difference between normal legos and lego robotics if lego robotics could easily be mistaken for Matrix Code. Both are cool in their own way, but you can't make giant lava defense systems that inexplicably flood your farms with water, or beat back the forces of Hell itself and grow strawberries there.

Those memes in that first sentence made my eyes bleed and I almost slashed my wrists because I knew the sources for them. Sigh. I shall call  you brother from now on, because we are very similar.

I like minecraft, but my problem with it is.. that it's empty. I've built my share of grand cities with glowing towers spiraling into the night sky where gravity defying islands float and pour impossible rivers into the sea below.. but they were devoid of life, even in multiplayer.There is no purpose to whatever you build other than looking pretty. It just doesn't matter.

What I mean is: it lacks the spark of life the dorfs in dwarf fortress has, however faulty and stupid and unrealistic they are, there is no denying they seem almost alive with their vermin infested halls and sad little lives they spend as pawns to capricious and generally malicious Gods of Blood. That in my view is the single most important achievement of DF, one that Minecraft lacks.

It is totally fine as a sandbox builder though, and it is lots of fun for how much it costs and it's always nice to play it for a while when a new update comes along.
And then did ARMOK say, the east is the holiest of directions, and thou shouldst not stand there lest thou be strucketh down by my holiest of beards. And then did the dorfs did say, we shall build from the west, for more do we fear the beard of ARMOK than the strike of the elephant.

Urist_McGamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2012, 03:30:01 pm »

Those memes in that first sentence made my eyes bleed and I almost slashed my wrists because I knew the sources for them. Sigh. I shall call  you brother from now on, because we are very similar.

I like minecraft, but my problem with it is.. that it's empty. I've built my share of grand cities with glowing towers spiraling into the night sky where gravity defying islands float and pour impossible rivers into the sea below.. but they were devoid of life, even in multiplayer.There is no purpose to whatever you build other than looking pretty. It just doesn't matter.

What I mean is: it lacks the spark of life the dorfs in dwarf fortress has, however faulty and stupid and unrealistic they are, there is no denying they seem almost alive with their vermin infested halls and sad little lives they spend as pawns to capricious and generally malicious Gods of Blood. That in my view is the single most important achievement of DF, one that Minecraft lacks.

It is totally fine as a sandbox builder though, and it is lots of fun for how much it costs and it's always nice to play it for a while when a new update comes along.

Very nicely put. Couldn't have said it better myself.
But others might prefer to have the mess contained behind windows to avoid tracking blood all over the their nice, color coordinated floor patterns. Kind of the Ozzy Osborne vs. Martha Stewart debate.

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2012, 03:36:09 pm »

Very nicely put. Couldn't have said it better myself.

Yeah, pretty much. The biggest problem Minecraft has, IMHO, is its massive and highly malignant Fandumb. Any significant changes will generally be met extreme protest if not outright hostility (remember that time Minecraft.net was DDOS'd because people got sick of waiting for an update?), and nostalgia vision is in full effect in the Minecraft fandom. (every update since alpha 1.2 or so has apparently RUINED the game FOREVER)

I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
But the sad truth charlie?
It was inevitable.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2012, 03:46:53 pm »

If you want to make Minecraft more like Dwarf Fortress, then the first thing you have to do is get rid of the fact that you have to do every damn thing yourself. 

Any sort of "Dwarf Fortress" version of Minecraft that involves merely putting DF-style geologic features or DF-style workshops into the game is only going to be skin-deep because that's completely missing part of the most significant difference between the two games:

One is an FPS where you can move around blocks, and the other is a top-down management game where you can order other people to move around blocks for you.

Unless you can bridge the gap between being an FPS where you have to sit there manually chipping away at a mountain with a pick in between making your 823515th damn stone pick because you can only dig 100 or so tiles per pick and the playstyle of DF, where you set two dwarves to making picks, and 20 dwarves to digging, while you just tour the facilities, then it's not going to be anything like DF. 

You can, at best simulate Adventurer Mode, if you completely hack the game and write in locational damage instead of hitpoints.  However, why'd you put this thread in the Fortress Mode Forums (not even general DF forums, much less Other Games...) if not for the fact that you mean you want to recreate fortress mode. 

Call me when you're writing up a new AI and interface for ordering dwarves to do your mining for you, because until then, you aren't even attempting a DF version of Minecraft.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Dragonchampion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2012, 03:50:46 pm »

It's not me that is doing this mod, it's an author who loved the idea of "realistic" things from Dwarf Fortress and strives to add them to Minecraft. In my opinion, it makes the games larger, grander, and much, much better in terms of it being a survival game.

And yeah, I placed this in the wrong forum, I'll move this now.
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2012, 03:52:44 pm »

Those discussions must have been conducted by nincompoops.

The only official description of Armok suggests he is, indeed, the player.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2012, 03:57:28 pm »

Adding different stone types to Minecraft does not make it Dwarf Fortress.  Bring me brutality.

That said, I'd love a MC mod that tried to capture the dwarf and visualize the goblin sieges and pure dwarven stupidity.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2012, 04:02:34 pm »

Those discussions must have been conducted by nincompoops.

The only official description of Armok suggests he is, indeed, the player.

Wrong.

Our eventual goal is to have the player's role be the embodiment of positions of power within the fortress, performing actions in their official capacity, to the point that in an ideal world each command you give would be linked to some noble, official or commander.  I don't think coaxing is the way I'm thinking of it though, as with a game like Majesty which somebody brought up, because your orders would also carry the weight of being assumed to be for survival for the most part, not as bounties or a similar system.  Once your fortress is larger, you might have to work a little harder to keep people around, but your dwarves in the first year would be more like crew taking orders from the captain of a ship out to sea or something, where you'd have difficulty getting them to do what you want only if you've totally flopped and they are ready to defy the expedition leader.

The player is the collective action of the nobles.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare
Pages: [1] 2