Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Question about Miasma  (Read 5256 times)

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: Question about Miasma
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2012, 02:41:52 pm »

So goresplosion only happens before death?  Interesting.  Oh, and not talking about splitting stacks, but "breaking" the skeleton into many individual bones or stacks thereof.
So I can't create a room filled with serrated discs and dump corpses there to make loads of separate bodyparts? Lame.

you feel blowing corpses apart is more fun than doing it to living creatures? lame
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Bordellimies

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETHING_ORIGINAL]
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2012, 02:51:09 pm »

So goresplosion only happens before death?  Interesting.  Oh, and not talking about splitting stacks, but "breaking" the skeleton into many individual bones or stacks thereof.
So I can't create a room filled with serrated discs and dump corpses there to make loads of separate bodyparts? Lame.

you feel blowing corpses apart is more fun than doing it to living creatures? lame
No, blowing up the living is more fun, but there are times when a goblin gets cut in half. I want the goblins to get cut to a dozen pieces, at least.
Warmogs are like bacon, they make everything better and you can never have enough of them

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2012, 02:55:35 pm »

make them butcherable by editing entity raws
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2012, 03:52:23 pm »

It sounds like Toady needs to add Dermestid beetles. (read the article, it sounds like it was written by a bay12 regular)
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Bordellimies

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETHING_ORIGINAL]
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2012, 03:59:01 pm »

It sounds like Toady needs to add Dermestid beetles. (read the article, it sounds like it was written by a bay12 regular)
I saw a video with these beetles used for work, it possibly was Dirty Jobs with Mike Rowe. Those beetles are cool. They need to be added.
Here's a timelapse with them.
Warmogs are like bacon, they make everything better and you can never have enough of them

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2012, 04:20:11 pm »

Myself, I put a refuse/corpse stockpile on the surface (with a wall around it if worried about necromantic intervention).  I've never had a corpse not become a skeleton doing that.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Friendstrange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2012, 08:49:15 pm »

So thats what was missing! Corpsesplosion and dismemberment. OF COURSE!
Fortunately I have like 50 goblins caged and ready.
I must now build a tower, or pit. Is 10 z-levels enough to remove every lib while alive and dead?

So far goblin bones have been my most prized possesion, saved only for artifact weapons and armor. Now Ill be able to throw them like spare change. Joyous!

Goblin Namehaver's bone. when they're not useable
Goblin Namehaver's bone . When they are useable.
For me itīs goblin teeth which dont seem to be usable for decorations, I just get the "Needs unrotten teeth/etc." which is a damn shame as they would look lovely on a silver morningstar.

Anathema

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2012, 09:57:51 pm »

I must now build a tower, or pit. Is 10 z-levels enough to remove every lib while alive and dead?

Oh no no no, 10 is not nearly enough. I've seen goblins survive 10 level drops, albeit with most limbs broken. If you want to guarantee not just death but an explosion of severed limbs, you'll need a much greater distance than that. I couldn't tell you how much as I've never actually tried to kill things through falling, it's more of an accidental side effect of my architecture.
The good news is that ghosts die of old age.

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2012, 10:46:34 pm »

Setting a dorfs eating/butchery ethics in their raws for sapients to acceptable will deal with this. IE butcherable elves and gobbos.
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2012, 01:39:45 am »

Oh no no no, 10 is not nearly enough. I've seen goblins survive 10 level drops, albeit with most limbs broken. If you want to guarantee not just death but an explosion of severed limbs, you'll need a much greater distance than that. I couldn't tell you how much as I've never actually tried to kill things through falling, it's more of an accidental side effect of my architecture.

Yep, even the max default height of 15 isn't enough for complete dismemberment of some specimens, though it's usually enough to get so many parts that it isn't worth to do anything better. Goblins are quite light weight creatures, and the smaller ones don't hit the ground with enough force. FBs or even elephants are different matter.

DTF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2012, 03:26:43 am »

Yep, even the max default height of 15 isn't enough for complete dismemberment of some specimens, though it's usually enough to get so many parts that it isn't worth to do anything better. Goblins are quite light weight creatures, and the smaller ones don't hit the ground with enough force. FBs or even elephants are different matter.

What about weapon traps at the bottom, armed with your best battle axes or better: large, serrated discs? You would to have make the bottom of the chute a decent size room with weapon traps all over the place. Depending on how many gobs you drop in there, the traps might jam and you need to access them to reset.
I found axes and discs to be well capable of creating a huge gory mess.

Note: this would work better if the gobs survived the drop, so they can get to know a lot of discs.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 03:28:29 am by DTF »
(a>b) ? false : true

Anathema

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2012, 03:57:59 am »

Well, you're limited by the fact that you can only remove limbs while the goblin is still alive, and anything that removes limbs is quite likely to kill him. Goblins killed and dismembered by the fall won't trigger the traps (corpses don't trigger traps), and if goblins survive the fall and get dismembered and killed by traps instead, the fall was pointless and you could've just sent them through the traps. This makes the two methods somewhat redundant; you may as well focus on one, although I guess it doesn't hurt to use both for reliability (i.e. add a few traps to the bottom of your pit just to be sure).

The problem with traps is that while they usually cause a mess of severed limbs, they're capable of killing without that (say by severing the goblin's head on the first try), leaving you with no limbs at all - it's risky. If the goblin falls 100 z-levels, I think you get an explosion of limbs every time (although falling damage has changed since the minecarts got added, so I'm not sure).
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 04:01:04 am by Anathema »
The good news is that ghosts die of old age.

aaron32

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2012, 04:11:32 am »

*DERP*
(Probably Ex)Admin on Urist McStation, A space station 13 server.
Link: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=123140.0

It's pretty cool. Check it out.
Pages: 1 [2]