Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Question about Miasma  (Read 5262 times)

ASimpleBoneFarmer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Question about Miasma
« on: May 25, 2012, 11:11:14 am »

Sorry, I didn't see any exacts about this on the wiki

In a standard one of my fortresses there is normally a ridiculously large room where I plant corpses until they can grow into bones (as my name implies) with minecarts however I can have them all dropped down a hole where they will sit on a corpse stockpile until ripe. How many z levels down would I need to make it so the Miasma can't creep back up? I'm not quite sure where the cut off point is.

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Question about Miasma
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 11:18:17 am »

I'd say mitigate the whole issue by channeling the tile above the drop chute, then floor over it.  It will count as Outside and thusly not generate miasma to begin with.

DTF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 11:18:43 am »

Since Miasma doesnt spread diagonally:
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Miasma#Avoiding_miasma

Example #1 could be your thing, you can make the chute only one z-level deep if you wish.

Never tried it though, I just throw into a chute with an atom smasher at the bottom.
(a>b) ? false : true

ASimpleBoneFarmer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2012, 11:21:28 am »

I don't think you can dump carts diagonally. And while outside works.... I get into a weird paranoid state while playing Dwarffortress Any link to the outside that isn't filled with a defense fills me with an OCD induced dread.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2012, 11:23:59 am »

That is why, after creating the hole, you build a floor over it. Nothing can come in, but no miasma
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2012, 11:25:17 am »

The constructed floor is a magnificent defense.  Buildinig destroyers can't destroy floors.  If you're really edgy, maybe channel this pit first, before the tunnel for the railway, obsidian cast, then re-mine out the lower levels for your pit.  Upper level is cast obsidian roof, lower tiles are still Outside since they were, at one time in history, exposed to that accursed ball of fire in the above-Earth that neauseates any Armok fearing dwarf.

ASimpleBoneFarmer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2012, 11:25:17 am »

Nice, Didn't know that still counted as outside. Thank you my good man.

Friendstrange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2012, 11:25:48 am »

Wait, you can make corpses turn into bones?

Ive had several goblin, minotaur, troll, human, and elf skeletons sitting in my refuse pile for years and none of them ever turn into bones.

Only the chopped parts ever turn into bones for me, not whole/partial skeletons.

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2012, 11:27:45 am »

Still useable for bone craft needs AFAIK.  Dwarf will just take the whole skelly, rather than just one kitten paw bone to make bone bolts[25].  You could maximize your gains by dumping them 10z to split it up(?) Needs !!Science!!

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2012, 11:29:55 am »

not really

item stacks dropped no matter how far don't scatter. (partial) skeletons don't turn into bones. Dimembered limbs do turn into bones
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2012, 11:36:48 am »

So goresplosion only happens before death?  Interesting.  Oh, and not talking about splitting stacks, but "breaking" the skeleton into many individual bones or stacks thereof.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2012, 12:06:30 pm »

Non-sentient creatures can be butchered after they are dry skeletons, to yield usable bones. Unseemingly as it may be, minotaurs, humans, goblins and other primates or the like are considerer sentient. Therefore they cannot be butchered after death. Before death, the only answer to such woes is High Tower of Butchering.

As for miasma, I just keep the underground boneyard covered with a hatch. Dwarves throw the cadavers on the heap, when they are done one of them pulls the lever, and all the remains fall down to the stockpile. Foul stench can reach too far to bother with half measures and my dwarves have delicate noses.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2012, 12:15:19 pm »

if you're not interested in recovering, just atom smash

ASimpleBoneFarmer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2012, 12:39:32 pm »

I've always used methods that drop invaders down large pits, But nomal corpses do eventually rot into bones..... It's very random though. I've had a few goblin corpses sitting in one of my mass graves for years and go nowhere. But I've had others that go in and turn to bones a few months later.. It should be noted however that out of every stack of bones I get. The last bone is unuseable, like, . Exactly who and what rots is also up for debate, stray animals that died from starvation or goblins do not, most goblins do though. I have screen shots, I'll upload them when I get home.

They End up like
Goblin Namehaver's bone. when they're not useable
Goblin Namehaver's bone . When they are useable.

Bordellimies

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETHING_ORIGINAL]
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2012, 02:31:32 pm »

So goresplosion only happens before death?  Interesting.  Oh, and not talking about splitting stacks, but "breaking" the skeleton into many individual bones or stacks thereof.
So I can't create a room filled with serrated discs and dump corpses there to make loads of separate bodyparts? Lame.
Warmogs are like bacon, they make everything better and you can never have enough of them
Pages: [1] 2