Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11

Author Topic: Schemes and Shadows  (Read 22769 times)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile

((Hiding behind the same line of bushes about 40 feet away.  He doesn't see you.))
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile

"Just a drink and a room for tonight, I'm afraid. So, what's all this business about the magistrate I keep hearing from people?" he asks the bartender.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Aldun lowly waved his arm to get the attention of the fugitive, holding his other hand to his lips to say that he should be quiet. The guard was just on the other side of the bush, if he noticed the man he'd be out 5 silver. His employer is probably dead by now, so this guy was now his meal ticket. He skulked closer, pointing at the fugitive and then laying his hand to the ground. If the guard did manage to find the man he'd have to kill him. No sense in losing the person you're trying to force coin from, especially since he was too close to not be seen as an accomplice.

Steam ID: The Fool [B12]
A Flexible Mind (Suggestion Game)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile

"Just a drink and a room for tonight, I'm afraid. So, what's all this business about the magistrate I keep hearing from people?" he asks the bartender.

"The usual coming right up, mister Enren." Holzig replies as soon as Entren requests the drink.  But when he is asked about the Marshal Holzig loses his usual cheery manner for a moment.  "Well gee, Enren, that's a bit of a touchy subject around here right now."  Holzig leans in close and speaks in a more hushed tone.  "Old Craggy's here and he blames the marshal for the way he lost his job down at the docks.  So you know what it'd do to him to hear that name getting talked about here."
"Yeah, I'll probably make him start talking again and you know how much we want to avoid that."  A chubby bar regular by the name of Medi Pierrevich sits down on a stool next to Enren and hands his mug to Holzig for a refill.  "Why would you want to talk about the mad marshal anyway?  Less said about him the better ever since he lost his sense two months back... so they say.  You didn't hear it from me."

Aldun lowly waved his arm to get the attention of the fugitive, holding his other hand to his lips to say that he should be quiet. The guard was just on the other side of the bush, if he noticed the man he'd be out 5 silver. His employer is probably dead by now, so this guy was now his meal ticket. He skulked closer, pointing at the fugitive and then laying his hand to the ground. If the guard did manage to find the man he'd have to kill him. No sense in losing the person you're trying to force coin from, especially since he was too close to not be seen as an accomplice.

The man startles slightly when Aldun first get's his attention but manages to keep his silence.  He crawls towards Aldun on his hands and knees and meets him halfway.  Aldun see's that he is sweating profusely and looks winded but is otherwise in good health.  "Who the heck are you?" he whispers in a raspy voice.  "What are you doing out here?"
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Aldun was surprised by the man's stupidity. He whispered back, hoping that it would shut him up before they got caught. "Not now. He's still nearby. Quiet." He didn't want the man to try running for it. Aldun wanted his money, but he'd need this idiot alive for that. He listened closely for the horseman, waiting for him to pass. If they could evade him they might not even have to make it across the open field. Of course there was always a back-up plan, kill the guard and move on from there, but he didn't want to do that just yet.

+8 to Listen for the guard.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile

((Listen check passed and you got lucky on the coinflip.))

Aldun strains his ears and hears the mans foot steps.  He is walking away from the tree line.  There is the faintest sound of a curse and Aldun risks a glance.  The man is walking back to his horse, presumably to resume his search from horseback.  The dismounted horseman is about 40 yards away from Aldun and his quarry.  The next field is about 60 yards off.  The man has about 20 yards to go until he reaches his horse and is currently looking the wrong direction.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Aldun taps on the man's shoulder, pointing to the other side of the field. If they don't make it across the field before he gets on his horse they won't at all. He'd be able to see them from horseback if he keeps looking. He gets up, breaking into a run, hoping that the man would follow. It'd be his funeral if he doesn't.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

((I'm not exactly sure what non-criminal function a thieves guild would serve
so if any exist you'd need to have local criminal contacts to find such place.))

Well, then I'll just have to find some local criminal contacts.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Aduial

After visiting the money changer, buy a second coin purse and put a note in it that says the following:

"Wow. You're good. I didn't catch you. I'm new in town. Show me where the guild is and there's a silver in it for you."

Put the note in the coinpouch, and wear it prominently on my right hip with the string drawn such that the pouch sits lower on my leg than it needs to. Buy a drink at the Screaming Viking, and chat with the tavern folk. Try to look more drunk than I am, and pay careful attention to that pouch without looking at it. If I feel it move I want to grab the hand that's moving it. If the string is cut, look at the thief, smile, say hello and ask if he'll join me at my table.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile

Aldun taps on the man's shoulder, pointing to the other side of the field. If they don't make it across the field before he gets on his horse they won't at all. He'd be able to see them from horseback if he keeps looking. He gets up, breaking into a run, hoping that the man would follow. It'd be his funeral if he doesn't.

Aldun breaks into a run and a moment later his new acquaintance join him.  The horseman catches sight of them and hurriedly breaks into a run to mount up and make chase.  Aldun is fast enough to make it to cover.  His winded companion however is a little short...
Cursing the other man's weakness Aldun stops short and draws his blades to face down the charging horse.  Surprised by this newcomer the horseman hefts his mace and sets his sights on Aldun.  He closes for a charge on Aldun as the other man makes it to safety, drawing close for a powerful swing of the mace which sails through the air where Aldun's head no longer is.  ((Attack roll of 14 against 15, lucky you))  Cursing his luck the horseman is carried off by the momentum of his charge and Aldun slips away to join the man he just saved.

Aldun finds the man who introduces himself as Jacceri, a 'business associate' of Osri.  The two make their escape through the fields and overgrowth to a deserted village where Jacceri say's it's safe to lie low for a few hours then slip back into the town.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Aldun turned to Jacceri, "You owe me for saving your ass. Whether you like it or not, I've got a score to settle with Orsi. I don't even know if he's still alive, but if he is he's going to pay." He paused, gesturing with his hands. "You see, business is only good if the people you make deals with actually pay for their goods. He shorted me for the work I did, and now if he's alive I'm going to make him pay. He picked the wrong person to short."

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Entren Armeni

"Ah. I just remember him well enough from back then to wonder why he would go crazy like this. But no matter, I don't want to start an argument." Finishing his drink, Entren pays for lodging, carrying his gear upstairs to his room.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile

Aldun turned to Jacceri, "You owe me for saving your ass. Whether you like it or not, I've got a score to settle with Orsi. I don't even know if he's still alive, but if he is he's going to pay." He paused, gesturing with his hands. "You see, business is only good if the people you make deals with actually pay for their goods. He shorted me for the work I did, and now if he's alive I'm going to make him pay. He picked the wrong person to short."

"Hey, you're not the only one who got screwed over here.  Orsi never paid me either.  He said he would do that as soon as he started moving the goods I was storing for him.  Well he started moving stuff this morning and I ain't seen a damn ducat.  Doubt I ever will, the men-at-arm came and trashed my place.  Whatever that damn midget had must have been hot stuff."
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Aldun smiled. He had an idea to get back at the halfling. "What do you say we pay him a visit when we slip back into town? We can get our revenge at the same time. We get our money and more. All I need is for you to be a lure to bring him to me. We'll split what we find even. If he wasn't stupid he hid it someplace to pick it up later, so I'll ask nicely." Aldun clicked the sword loose from the sheath as if to draw. "After we drain him of all he's worth I'll make sure he never forgets the name Aldun Sharp." Aldun finally did drew one of his blades, running his hand down the side of the blade, tracing the edge with his thumb, checking for cracks. He knew that it was a cheap blade, but it would do for now.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Finishing his drink, Entren pays for lodging, carrying his gear upstairs to his room.

Aduial notices a man carrying a lute approach the stairs as if to leave.

: "You're a bard, yes? The night's still young. Why not sing us a tale?"

*tosses two copper bits to Entren*

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"Gladly." Setting his gear off to the side of the hall (where he can see it easily), Entren plays a short ballad. ((want a perform check and/or a link?))
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11