Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1122952 times)

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I wonder how viable playing a lone wolf sniper will be in PS2. The E3 demo took place in a base that seemed to be surrounded by cliffs on all sides, with some rocks and shrubs and such on top of them. I'm not sure if they were not accessible or too far away or what, but I was quite surprised nobody camped up there. Seemed like an ideal vantage point for picking off people down in the base.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile

I suspect nobody was camping up there due to the limited playable area meaning that the air units would spot them too easily as they did multiple passes around the base. In the actual game I suspect that snipers firing from the cliffside would do much better.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile

I think that's mainly because everyone was flying as well.  Airships would pick out snipers pretty easy.  But if no one is suspecting it, a sniper may do pretty well, especially with a good cloak.

Of course it's balanced too.  A rifle that does real damage can't be fired while cloaked.  A good cloak disables a good rifle.  So take that how you will.  And if there's no one hunting out enemy snipers, it means there's no battle so there's no one to shoot :P

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm not so sure about the spotting thing. I'm currently playing Tribes, where everyone has a giant frickin' icon over their head telling you which team they're on. PS2 doesn't seem to have that. I'm not sure a light soldier with appropriate camo standing in some shrubs would be all that noticeable when you're zipping past at 300 kph in a fighter jet, even without a cloak.

Of course it's balanced too.  A rifle that does real damage can't be fired while cloaked.  A good cloak disables a good rifle.  So take that how you will.  And if there's no one hunting out enemy snipers, it means there's no battle so there's no one to shoot :P
De-cloak, fire, cloak, relocate. Seems simple enough.
And yeah, I guess sniping would only really work in battles. Too bad, I'd love to sneak behind enemy lines and take out a few guys who think they're safe. But I guess in PS2 there won't be anyone behind the lines.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 05:01:26 pm by Sordid »

Draxis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Planetside soldiers do not have appropriate camo; they are covered in red, yellow, and purple no matter what "camouflage" they put on

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yep, this game offers a bit more stealth and camo options, so it may work very well.  Hell, we might be able to get whole squads standing invisible in a field in heavy armor with the right camo!

Draxis - there are some actually appropriate camo options, if you work for them.  Most people sport team colors though.

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I recall seeing some camo in the E3 livestream. It doesn't cover the faction colors completely, but it helps. And yes, that's one of the reasons I wanted to play TR. Red isn't really a camo color, but it doesn't stand out quite as much as blue and purple.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 05:12:08 pm by Sordid »

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile

I guess I'm not as strong as I tought I was. Going to try to whine in their twitter until something happens. Too bad I simply can't draw anything remotely good at all.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Microcline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Nope.  That's how we're going to decide who gets the spare beta keys.  PLANE JOUSTING!
This thread has yet to fail to entertain me.

Planetside soldiers do not have appropriate camo; they are covered in red, yellow, and purple no matter what "camouflage" they put on
Clearly you are unfamiliar with the hellish battlegrounds of Auraxis.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

Those drill swing things in the lower left actually look kinda' terrifying. I could see those weaponized or somethin'.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I suspect that camo power will be a beta issue.  If your "Arctic Camo" is bright red I think that will get rebalanced a little.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So, my current plan is to spam the image spoilered below until I get something. Thoughts?

What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So, my current plan is to spam the image spoilered below until I get something. Thoughts?

You got a chance if you spam long enough. Dont forget if you want to show something SPAM because they ALL do!! If you dont you will never be noticed unless you are extremly lucky.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You got a chance if you spam long enough. Dont forget if you want to show something SPAM because they ALL do!! If you dont you will never be noticed unless you are extremly lucky.

And lucky I am not, so spamming I am.

EDIT: Does anyone know when those keys from the comments linked back a few pages are supposed to be given?
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 05:55:07 pm by Deathsword »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

They'll be handed out by Tuesday.Now which Tuesday, I couldn't say.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 826