Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many outfits are we going to have (in the name of Science)?

1: NC
2: NC and TR
3: NC, TR and Vanu

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 826

Author Topic: Planetside 2: Free-to-Play MMOFPS. 2000 players/server.  (Read 1123362 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile

I still have my LolTraktor.  I go back to it every once in a while, and recently learned they changed the main cannon so it gets 3x shots in like 5 bursts.  Last I'd played, it'd shoot 3x burst and reload  Now it'll send 15 shots downrange as fast as the cannon fires, then reload.  And I've been playing on-and-mostly-off since beta and I'm only in a Grille, but I love my grille and love being artillery.  I'd like higher tier, but right now I'm enjoying what I've got, and well, enjoying it.

PS2 might not be so fun to slow down though.  Having no matchmaker system, it rather depends on who's got the best gear and the best skill to combat the other guy's lesser gear and/or skills.  If two people are of equal skill, and ones got 5 dps and the other's got 10 dps, then it's a reason to rush for upgrades.  Totally open combat kinda makes casual upgrade difficult, but not impossible.  The main thing is to just not stress yourself because you're getting shot with a bigger gun.  You're a dwarf.  When you get headshot you laugh and respawn because Losing is Fun.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I still have my LolTraktor.  I go back to it every once in a while, and recently learned they changed the main cannon so it gets 3x shots in like 5 bursts.  Last I'd played, it'd shoot 3x burst and reload  Now it'll send 15 shots downrange as fast as the cannon fires, then reload.  And I've been playing on-and-mostly-off since beta and I'm only in a Grille, but I love my grille and love being artillery.  I'd like higher tier, but right now I'm enjoying what I've got, and well, enjoying it.

PS2 might not be so fun to slow down though.  Having no matchmaker system, it rather depends on who's got the best gear and the best skill to combat the other guy's lesser gear and/or skills.  If two people are of equal skill, and ones got 5 dps and the other's got 10 dps, then it's a reason to rush for upgrades.  Totally open combat kinda makes casual upgrade difficult, but not impossible.  The main thing is to just not stress yourself because you're getting shot with a bigger gun.  You're a dwarf.  When you get headshot you laugh and respawn because Losing is Fun.

I thought the plan was laugh, respawn, and apply explosives. On another note, game looks amazing, and look forward to it quite a bit, plan to be a scout/sniper for the B12 Squad

EDIT: After watching all these videos, and reading up on the game its not clear to me, but is it actually possible to win? From what I've read it gives the impression that its just a never ending tug of war siege between two or three forces.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 08:56:04 am by adwarf »

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I don't know if it's possible to achieve final victory, and I don't really think it would be desirable either. During the endgame, when one faction dominates, players would probably not even bother playing the other two because they'd know they would get their asses kicked no matter what they did. But AFAIK there's no definitive info on this, and I'm actually quite curious how it's going to work.

Also, I'm having an absolutely obscene amount of fun playing sniper in Tribes now, so I'll definitely be going infiltrator/sniper. If I join the B12 squad (and if you guys want me). Which I'm not certain of.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

I don't know if it's possible to achieve final victory, and I don't really think it would be desirable either. During the endgame, when one faction dominates, players would probably not even bother playing the other two because they'd know they would get their asses kicked no matter what they did. But AFAIK there's no definitive info on this, and I'm actually quite curious how it's going to work.

Also, I'm having an absolutely obscene amount of fun playing sniper in Tribes now, so I'll definitely be going infiltrator/sniper. If I join the B12 squad (and if you guys want me). Which I'm not certain of.
In PS1 it happened a few times where one faction was forced back to the sanctuary area but that area is not capturable. Also the 'losing' factions got bonuses in the form of HP/damage boosts and other incentives to help balance out the population. They always broke out after a while.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, there's one huge bubble area where the enemy can't even enter.  Worst case, you get pushed into the corner, but then all your players are in one place and spawning right there, so it's much easier to push out.  As well, there would likely be some buffs like HP/damage to help the losing side recover.  I'd personally like an "emergency supplies" mechanic that gave the losing side a temporary cost reduction to vehicles and/or free resources, so they can more easily deploy heavier weapons and push out.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile

I'm fine as long as we dont get tortanic 2.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I thought I remembered the maps just being reset once one side "won".

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

I thought I remembered the maps just being reset once one side "won".
I don't remember this ever happening, but no side can 'win' because there was always an uncapturable point for each side to stage at. The most you could do is lock them down there and keep killing them when they come out.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

When you've got one side that's completely capture the map and locked both others down in their sanctuaries, they've basically won. But I could be misremembering. I just seem to remember the entire map being reset to neutral at least once.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

When you've got one side that's completely capture the map and locked both others down in their sanctuaries, they've basically won. But I could be misremembering. I just seem to remember the entire map being reset to neutral at least once.
When you have one side who has completely captured the map, that means the other two sides are getting massive bonuses to hitpoints, xp gain, etc which encourages people to switch.. It also means that the other two sides' spawn points are RIGHT THERE so quick turn-around time for slain soldiers. They will eventually break out.

Not saying it never happened, I just never remember it happening while I played.

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Rarely posting anymore.
    • View Profile

That is a conceptual thing I like about the game; no loss, but no victory. It changes your mindset because you realize that it is an eternal war you are fighting. Your life is spent on getting a temporary advantage over the opponent with your corpse quickly forgotten when the fighting moves on. Just a pawn among millions...
Quote from: a Swedish electronics teacher
In Sweden, digital electronics is considered unteachable. That is why you are not being taught about it.
Most attempts of sesquipedalian loquaciousness on the internet will most likely end up in egregious delusions of eloquence. Finagle's law commands it!

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I hope they have a stat counter with tons of different stats, deaths per faction, deaths overall, minerals gathered and used, I like silly counters like that.  :P
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile

Probably with badges even.

The fun of the game is not the winning, it's those stories you still remember years after. Like that one time, where I flew a galaxy, had just dropped my squad over a fort, and suddenly had a reaver on my tail. I made a suicidal dive into a forest, and managed to outmaneuver the reaver pilot by zigzagging through the trees at maximum speed + afterburner, and the reaver flew into a tree. And that was almost 10 years ago.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile

Yeah, luridiculous numbers are awesome.
I just hope we can get our 'squad' to be elite-ish.
Like, people could say. 'how the hell did we win that base?'
'ah, the B12's helped.'
That would be awesome. (but its implausible)
I'm a good pyro/scout in tf2, so i hope i can use *some* of this knowledge in planetside 2.

Just spotted a problem.
What will the abbreviation of planetside 2 be?
P2? ps2?

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

In most games I've seen like that, they still give the winning faction a boost when they reset.  Like, the game may start with all places neutral except the spawn points.  Then the game starts, people rush, things are captured, people level up, etc.  One side will eventually gain the upper hand (usually only two-sided, three-sided makes it more difficult to "win") and when they do finally drive the enemy back into a corner, the admins step in and reset the world, but the winning faction gets like +5% exp gain for the duration or for a length of time.  To maintain that +5% they either need to win again to restart the length of time, or keep the enemy from winning if it's for the duration.

PS2 already sounds like it has a little of this.  Owning tech stations may unlock items that you couldn't use otherwise, so there may be a legitimate concern that one faction will own all the special production structures and the other side can't recover them because they don't have the special production items.  I do love this concept though, if you have to own structures to use specific items, that makes them physically useful, instead of "just another map hex".

Either way, it'll be interesting to see how the balance of power is maintained.

miauw62 - The issue there is that B12 is notoriously fickle.  You'll get two dozen players, for a week, and then no one on ever again :P  Hopefully being a AAA title PS2 may hold our attention span for longer though.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 826