Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vampire babysitters  (Read 996 times)

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Vampire babysitters
« on: May 22, 2012, 09:15:47 pm »

So am I the only person to burrow a vampire in an area with a lot of beds and make that the children's dormitories? 

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Vampire babysitters
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 09:17:32 pm »

Let me boot up my kobsplosion kobold camp...
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 09:42:56 pm »

Not anymore your not.  I give you +1 internets for the idea.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 12:18:37 pm »

So am I the only person to burrow a vampire in an area with a lot of beds and make that the children's dormitories? 
The vamp won't listen to your burrows. It's easier to drop the children into a crypt, resplendent with sarcophagi and beds.

osmo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 12:40:03 pm »

The vamp won't listen to your burrows.
I don't know about your vampires, but the seven of them in my fort have been restrained with nothing but burrows, including access to clothing and equipment stockpiles, for several years with no incidents. Well, there was one accident when using the civilian alert burrowing, which had the side effect of lifting the restraint on the vampires owing to the cumulative nature of burrows. But that's it.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2012, 12:45:49 pm »

Vampires will silently leave the burrow to feed.

They will obey the burrow as long as their cover isn't blown in all other respects though.

If the vampire has deliciously fat dwarven children to eat in its burrow, it should be quite content to stay there.

Be sure to blame the deaths on a harmless kitten or something. :D

osmo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2012, 12:57:58 pm »

They will obey the burrow as long as their cover isn't blown in all other respects though.
By this, do you mean they'll stay in the burrow unless they've been successfully accused through the justice system? Because, as I said, the ones I've experienced obviously keep to their burrows and haven't fed for ages, most of them not at all after arriving at my fortress.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2012, 01:05:07 pm »

By "cover blown", I mean they get their real identity shown on the V screen.  As long as they use their fake alias, they will obey burrows.

it is important to note that a vapire attack isn't always fatal.  It has a high probability of being fatal, but the munchies can be interrupted by ordinary activities, like the victim getting up for a snack.

As such, while you might think your vampires are staying put, unless you walled up the doorway, they will leave whe you aren't looking, and scope out a nice cholesterol laden dwarf to nibble.

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2012, 01:06:52 pm »

I believe they leave the burrow if they want to feed on a dwarf outside the burrow.  However, I think they choose dwarves to feed on via the job selection system, so if the closest sleeping dwarf is inside the burrow, they'll stay put.  Just don't forget that job selection is a straight line through z levels, and also if they're hungry and there aren't any sleeping children, they might leave.

osmo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2012, 01:19:59 pm »

Well, all my vamps are still using their fake identities, so that would explain it. Considering how easy it is to identify and seclude vampires on arrival, I guess it should really stay like this in most cases, maybe with the exception of open vampires arriving with the royal entourage.

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2012, 01:58:34 pm »

If the vampire has deliciously fat dwarven children to eat in its burrow, it should be quite content to stay there.

Be sure to blame the deaths on a harmless kitten or something. :D

I've been blaming the other children, it's worked well so far.  Every now and then I see him leave the burrow, to bring water to wounded dwarves actually, but he's only been eating children since I burrowed him.

caddybear

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2012, 02:28:03 pm »

Well now it's a science thread about figuring out if vampires will leave their burrows if there's anyone to eat in their burrow when they're hungry.
And then did ARMOK say, the east is the holiest of directions, and thou shouldst not stand there lest thou be strucketh down by my holiest of beards. And then did the dorfs did say, we shall build from the west, for more do we fear the beard of ARMOK than the strike of the elephant.