Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 308 309 [310] 311 312 ... 372

Author Topic: [MODDING] CREATURE & ENTITY QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 682567 times)

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] CREATURE & ENTITY QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #4635 on: May 26, 2020, 07:43:50 pm »

Anyone have a decent analogue for a modest lightning spell or effect?

P:

So I'm gonna make another addition to my ADOM mod, how ever one of the spells in game is called Death Ray, (posted link to article describing spell below)

How should I add this into my game?

Also the creature I'm adding is represented by an @ in ADOM, how could I make that the creatures symbol in game?

I also want to add dragons with elemental breath attacks (such as frost,acid,lightning, and water) how should I add those?
I can think of a few ways to implement an 'instant death' attack, but not a 'ray'.

Any on-contact syndrome that destroys the brain, heart, or lungs is one way.  Unless its also meant to work on golems or undead.

An interaction that grants these syndromes with a low-moderate chance of success and maybe a high cost (to the user via some tag or token) or a huge cooldown (to prevent npc spamming) would do it?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 07:48:36 pm by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4636 on: May 27, 2020, 03:07:03 am »

This has been a big pain in the ass for me too, but I finally came up with a material emission which fires "lightning" and "thunder" inorganic materials both in liquid and solid form, thanks to the multiple projectiles stuff posted on the interaction examples page on the wiki. They cause physical damage on impact from the solid projectiles and also impart a syndrome because the liquid globs boil at room temp. The thunder causes dizziness and moderate pain in the ears. Lightning has a small chance of causing unconsciousness or paralysis, but a high chance of causing blisters and moderate pain in stance, grasp and upper and lower body parts (to simulate burning on the torso, hands and feet from the path of the lightning through the body)
Because the material boils instantly it is only ever inhaled, and so you have to specify the body parts you want to target, can't just use "LOCALIZED"
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #4637 on: May 27, 2020, 03:21:17 am »

Also the creature I'm adding is represented by an @ in ADOM, how could I make that the creatures symbol in game?

I also want to add dragons with elemental breath attacks (such as frost,acid,lightning, and water) how should I add those?

For the @ symbol its code is 064, you'd put it in the creature tile token (without the two ' ' that go around a symbol). That said the symbol is also used for adventurers and non-playable members of your civ in fort mode (i.e diplomats, merchants, guards, etc.) so it might get somewhat confusing.

Closest I've done for lightning is just a regular but strong blunt projectile (SOLID_GLOB) for ball lightning/lightning bolt-type attacks, and paralysis+blisters+bleeding for lightning streams/novas (trailing/undirected gas attacks), while also adding CRAZED to mechanical creatures (makes them go haywire).

For acid its just liquid that does bleeding+blisters ("melting" exists in-game but its only through heat and acid shouldn't be setting things on fire).

Frost is in a similar boat as lightning - frost stream/novas cause blisters+numbness+speed reduction, and the frost bolt type attack is a sharp rock attack (since usually frost bolts are just a fast-moving, big icicle). While cold damage does exist in DF its a bit iffy to get it working with custom inorganics IMO, and it deteriorates stuff incredibly quickly (also kills things incredibly quickly) if you overdo it.

Water depends on what you're trying to do. Usually for water attacks I just go with scalding sprays/waves (trailing/undirected vapors) that cause bleeding+blisters (no actual heat damage though so they don't set stuff on fire) and pressurized bolts that are just blunt projectiles.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4638 on: May 27, 2020, 06:23:38 am »

This has been a big pain in the ass for me too, but I finally came up with a material emission which fires "lightning" and "thunder" inorganic materials both in liquid and solid form, thanks to the multiple projectiles stuff posted on the interaction examples page on the wiki. They cause physical damage on impact from the solid projectiles and also impart a syndrome because the liquid globs boil at room temp. The thunder causes dizziness and moderate pain in the ears. Lightning has a small chance of causing unconsciousness or paralysis, but a high chance of causing blisters and moderate pain in stance, grasp and upper and lower body parts (to simulate burning on the torso, hands and feet from the path of the lightning through the body)
Because the material boils instantly it is only ever inhaled, and so you have to specify the body parts you want to target, can't just use "LOCALIZED"
Thanks!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

UselessMcMiner

• Bay Watcher
  • praise jeebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4639 on: May 27, 2020, 08:58:00 am »

So how should I add these materials into the game? Should I base them off of cave stone? How do I make them give a syndrome? Will the solid material just stay there or will it disappear?
« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 09:02:22 am by UselessMcMiner »
The scouts have been fighting a giant capuchin for the past month now. They still haven't killed it.

Obsidian 1053

The Sentries are still fighting the capuchin. For two monthes they have done nothing but punch this monkey.

ChaosPotato

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4640 on: May 27, 2020, 09:24:16 am »

So I'm gonna make another addition to my ADOM mod, how ever one of the spells in game is called Death Ray, (posted link to article describing spell below)

How should I add this into my game?

For lightning, make an incredibly hot gas and just call it lightning. Maybe also make it cause paralysis.
For acid, make a liquid that causes necrosis, bleeding, and bruising.
For frost, make a material with a very low fixed temperature.
For water... I dunno.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 09:26:17 am by ChaosPotato »
hi I hate this account and everything I've ever done with it but I don't feel like going through the process of making a new one right now

UselessMcMiner

• Bay Watcher
  • praise jeebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4641 on: May 27, 2020, 11:01:11 am »

I meant more how to add the materials into the game. Sorry but I’ve never done this before so I’m very confused!
The scouts have been fighting a giant capuchin for the past month now. They still haven't killed it.

Obsidian 1053

The Sentries are still fighting the capuchin. For two monthes they have done nothing but punch this monkey.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4642 on: May 27, 2020, 03:33:51 pm »

Materials get added to the material template.  Any of the inorganic_[xyz].txt files will have templates.  Tissues get added to the tissue template.  You should be able to copy paste what you need.

After that, you can assign materials to stone layers, weapons, civs, reactions, or bodies based on those specific requirements.

Ive made this reaction that doesnt pop any errors, but my civ still wont use it.  I tried giving them a silver bar from ore.  I tried giving them a silver bar from a log, and now Ive tried getting them to turn a log into a silver warhammer.  But they wont do it.

And, of course removing the wood_weapons token from them makes them use all the metals they can grab without mining.

Anyone know how or if I can make elves use silver weapons without using other metals or giving up their woody heritage?

PKs DF Mod!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4643 on: May 27, 2020, 03:38:31 pm »

I meant more how to add the materials into the game. Sorry but I’ve never done this before so I’m very confused!

You can copy/paste/use as reference everything in existing raws and the wiki pages for material/inorganic tokens and syndromes to help build it. Adhere to the structure of the existing raw files for the object type you're working on (material, inorganic etc, remember to add file headers to your new files) and most of it should be fine

I used a new material_template copied off creature extract template, remove the tags that relate to animals, make it melt at 9998u, and boil at 9999u, with a fixed temp of 10000u so once it's on a physical object like the targets body the game realizes it's supposed to be a gas right now so the liquid glob instantly boils. Solid projectiles cease to exist after striking an object. The solid density should be about 2000-2500, and go back to the default stone_template and copy it's yield/strain/break values for physical properties and add 50 to each value, to make the solid projectiles effective but not overpowered.

Then create two inorganics using that template, call them lightning and thunder. Attach the syndromes to the inorganics themselves, same tokens that you'd find in a creature definition where venom is defined. Make sure to add the [special] token and remove any mentions of environments so they don't appear in the world.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 03:40:25 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

UselessMcMiner

• Bay Watcher
  • praise jeebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4644 on: May 27, 2020, 08:29:13 pm »

Alright, so I've followed your advice and made the material/interaction, but when my creature spits the solid glob at the enemy, no gas is generated? How do I fix this?

Obsidian 1053

UselessMcMiner

• Bay Watcher
  • praise jeebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4645 on: May 28, 2020, 09:31:19 am »

Alright so I got the water bolt attack working (I think) but no I'm making an enemy that spits poison, for some reason the syndrome isnt firing? How do I fix this?

Obsidian 1053

UselessMcMiner

• Bay Watcher
  • praise jeebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4646 on: May 28, 2020, 01:08:44 pm »

Here are the RAWs for the caste that uses the poison in case anyone needs to see it

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Obsidian 1053

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4647 on: May 28, 2020, 01:34:08 pm »

You need to add syn_inhaled and syn_contact to the syndrome along with syn_injected, for when the poison is being sprayed as a vapor trail, instead of being injected by a bite.

Regarding the solid projectiles and no gas cloud, to get the lightning/thunder effect I had to launch four different projectiles simultaneously. There is a "interaction examples" page on the wiki and under the material emissions section there should be one example of an emission of two different materials simultaneously. You need to use something like that, but then add two more. One pair for solid and liquid lightning globs and one pair for solid and liquid thunder globs. I'd just copy/paste the interaction here but I'm not at my laptop...
I make Spellcrafts!

UselessMcMiner

• Bay Watcher
  • praise jeebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4648 on: May 28, 2020, 04:14:09 pm »

Thank you so much! Everything seems to be working now! I'm gonna guess by the end of the week I'll have an update ready for my ADOM mod! I just need to add in all the colours of dragon (easy now that I know how to make breath weapons) and a few more entities and then I think I'll be ready!

Obsidian 1053

ArrowheadArcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Obsessed with !!Carp!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4649 on: May 28, 2020, 05:53:49 pm »

How do I restrict entities to producing say bronze or iron weaponry? I'm making a CIV-inspired mod where eras (entries in this case) are limited by weapon-grade metals. modifying inorganic_metal.txt might be enough, but I want specific entities, not all of them. I'm using HAS_ITEM_REACTION_PRODUCT to limit them.

Code: [Select]

[REACTION:MAKE_IRON_DAGGER]
[NAME:make iron dagger]
[BUILDING:METALSMITH:CUSTOM_T]
[REAGENT:A:1:BAR:INORGANIC:NONE:NONE]
[HAS_ITEM_REACTION_PRODUCT:IRON_AGE_WEAPONRY_DAGGER]

In the product, if you want to use the reagent's material itself, use NONE instead of a reaction product class (TAN_MAT in this example).

[PRODUCT:100:1:GET_ITEM_DATA_FROM_REAGENT:A:IRON_AGE_WEAPONRY_DAGGER]
[FUEL]
[SKILL:FORGE_WEAPON]

Pages: 1 ... 308 309 [310] 311 312 ... 372