Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 246 247 [248] 249 250 ... 372

Author Topic: [MODDING] CREATURE & ENTITY QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 685535 times)

Asin

• Bay Watcher
  • A short and sturdy creature fond of modding.
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] CREATURE & ENTITY QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #3705 on: June 12, 2019, 06:28:33 pm »

Is there a cap on MAXAGE?

DerMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3706 on: June 12, 2019, 06:43:09 pm »

Is it possible to have a creature play with toys like children? Is it possible to have that give them a positive thought?
Also is it possible to have clothing give the creature a positive thought?
As far as I know, "no" on all three questions. A citizen will get some positives from putting on nice clothes, a pet will not put on clothes. No dog raincoats.

a talking and can_learn pet like a Gremlin that petitions to become a citizen:
I don't actually know, but I think EXOTIC_PET might do what you want. I'd take a look a Gremlins, since they are "animals" that can be trained, but still petition to become citizens, at which time they can perform any job (at least using DT) and wear armor (if you mod them to be as large as kobolds, or you'll be unable to make armor/clothes small enough for them to wear). I've seen comments on my bug reports regarding Gremlins that animal people modded to have the EXOTIC_PET tag are subject to the same problems as Gremlins.
If you do use that path, it's useful to know that retraining Gremlins that have been accepted as full citizens is a royal pain, as retraining is very low on the Gremlin priority list. I've worked around that by using DFHack's gui/gm-editor to make my Gremlins fully tame (as there's no way to remove the pet thing without breaking the capture->...citizen chain, and make them complete citizens).

Consider a self-interaction that causes something-something on your pet, and call the interaction "plays with toys".
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Also clothed pet can be like troll. Ytolls are in livestok.

EternalCaveDragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3707 on: June 12, 2019, 06:59:28 pm »

Wiki doesn't say anything about a limit.

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3708 on: June 12, 2019, 07:45:29 pm »

I asked recently about removing max age and was told that it will make the creature immortal, so just delete the tag

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3709 on: June 13, 2019, 12:11:01 am »

I asked recently about removing max age and was told that it will make the creature immortal, so just delete the tag

Yes, thats correct. Simply delete the max age entry entirely and the creature is immortal. It will never perish of old age.

The creature may still turn grey from age. Hair will turn grey or white because thats linked to age but the dwarf or human will never die of old age.

You don't even need to gen a new world to do this. Just go into the save file and edit the raw there.

Asin

• Bay Watcher
  • A short and sturdy creature fond of modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3710 on: June 13, 2019, 01:44:05 am »

Yes, thats correct. Simply delete the max age entry entirely and the creature is immortal. It will never perish of old age.

The creature may still turn grey from age. Hair will turn grey or white because thats linked to age but the dwarf or human will never die of old age.

You don't even need to gen a new world to do this. Just go into the save file and edit the raw there.

I am aware of this. I just wanted to know if there was a limit the game had for more... mortal creatures.

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3711 on: June 13, 2019, 06:15:13 am »

Would adding:

Code: [Select]
[ENTITY:MOUNTAIN]
   [ANIMAL]
   [ANIMAL_CLASS:MOUNTAIN]
   [ANIMAL_ALWAYS_PRESENT]

to entity default (as done by the animal tag installer), and adding:

Code: [Select]
[CREATURE_CLASS:MOUNTAIN]
to an intelligent creature have it show up as a dwarven citizen in dwarven civilizations? Could that creature arrive as a migrant? Could that creature possibly be one of the starting seven dwarves during embark?

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3712 on: June 13, 2019, 08:41:49 am »

I am aware of this. I just wanted to know if there was a limit the game had for more... mortal creatures.

I'm not sure anyone has tested it, but the age is stored as a 32 bit variable, so I would guess the max is around 2 billion. Of course the game could cap it at a lower value like it does for body size, you would just have to check

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3713 on: June 13, 2019, 04:59:35 pm »

to an intelligent creature have it show up as a dwarven citizen in dwarven civilizations? Could that creature arrive as a migrant? Could that creature possibly be one of the starting seven dwarves during embark?

They would only ever be pets, never citizens, but it would work, yes. The starting seven will never be anything other than your civs main race, so they'll always be dwarves
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3714 on: June 13, 2019, 05:26:04 pm »

They would only ever be pets, never citizens, but it would work, yes. The starting seven will never be anything other than your civs main race, so they'll always be dwarves

Hmm
 I want to make a new creature (dwarven wizard) with CDI spells and put it into dwarven civs. Is the only way to do this with a caste on the dwarf creature then?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3715 on: June 14, 2019, 01:29:38 am »

No, but it's certainly the easiest. You can make a wilderness creature that joins civs, but they'll almost always be super-rare. You can make the wizard a deity curse, but again, rarity, and then the added world gen suspicions on people who don't age killing them or forcing them into exile. You could also make it a civilized creature in it's own right with it's own civs, and they'll migrate into dwarven lands on occasion/as parts of sites conquered and show up as poets etc at forts. I've settled on the latter myself, but am including racial abilities without castes (as syndromes spread around when the game is loaded by melting clothing and special alcohol), including with super rare things like out right being a natural wizard.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3716 on: June 14, 2019, 05:54:57 am »

No, but it's certainly the easiest. You can make a wilderness creature that joins civs, but they'll almost always be super-rare. You can make the wizard a deity curse, but again, rarity, and then the added world gen suspicions on people who don't age killing them or forcing them into exile. You could also make it a civilized creature in it's own right with it's own civs, and they'll migrate into dwarven lands on occasion/as parts of sites conquered and show up as poets etc at forts.

Thanks.

How rare is it for a wilderness creature to join a civ? I wanted these to be rare anyway so is it like 1 in 100 or 1 in 1000, etc? Would creating duplicate creatures significantly increase this chance? Will the creature join any civ (dwarf/goblin/kobold/etc)?

What about the curse? How rare is it for a deity curse creature to actually live during world gen? Would duplicate curses increase the chance? Is there an example of this in the raws?

quote author=Eric Blank link=topic=110027.msg7982957#msg7982957 date=1560493778]
am including racial abilities without castes (as syndromes spread around when the game is loaded by melting clothing and special alcohol), including with super rare things like out right being a natural wizard.
[/quote]

What does this mean? You are spreading a disease that turns creatures into wizards by melting clothing at worldgen?-

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3717 on: June 14, 2019, 10:28:19 am »

Melting them in-game actually, but yes kinda. I haven't figured out a good way to do it in world gen without the excess of having castes for everything, and the magic stuff that I'm using wouldn't be used during world gen anyway (excepting if I added something like vampirism or lycanthropy) so fire wizards in world gen would still be hitting people with sticks and stuff.

As for wilderness heroes, I've only ever seen one town with a serious animal man population. Most towns might have one or two of a non-standard species and overall they're still going to be very rare. Yes, multiple identical creatures should appear to show up more often.

In my best guess, vampires and other cursed individuals survive about 50% of the time. In a world with only three possible curses, yours, and one vampire and one werebeast curse each, you should see a bunch of your curse wizard running around. But increase those numbers, and youre going to see bigger and bigger ratios of other curses to yours. You can duplicate your curse to get more of them compared to everything else, after all vanilla vampires are all identical currently.

But you can't guarantee there will be enough people getting cursed. It only happens in temples, only while the temple has not been destroyed, and I have no idea how or if you can control the ratio of historical figures that profane temples.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 10:43:13 am by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3718 on: June 14, 2019, 11:20:07 am »

Melting them in-game actually, but yes kinda. I haven't figured out a good way to do it in world gen without the excess of having castes for everything, and the magic stuff that I'm using wouldn't be used during world gen anyway (excepting if I added something like vampirism or lycanthropy) so fire wizards in world gen would still be hitting people with sticks and stuff.

As for wilderness heroes, I've only ever seen one town with a serious animal man population. Most towns might have one or two of a non-standard species and overall they're still going to be very rare. Yes, multiple identical creatures should appear to show up more often.

In my best guess, vampires and other cursed individuals survive about 50% of the time. In a world with only three possible curses, yours, and one vampire and one werebeast curse each, you should see a bunch of your curse wizard running around. But increase those numbers, and youre going to see bigger and bigger ratios of other curses to yours. You can duplicate your curse to get more of them compared to everything else, after all vanilla vampires are all identical currently.

But you can't guarantee there will be enough people getting cursed. It only happens in temples, only while the temple has not been destroyed, and I have no idea how or if you can control the ratio of historical figures that profane temples.

Awesome thanks. I think I try the deity curse for now

Hetsin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3719 on: June 14, 2019, 11:43:12 am »

Of course the game could cap it at a lower value like it does for body size, you would just have to check

Sorry for the derail, but this is the first I've read of this. Do you happen to know what the cap for body size is?
Pages: 1 ... 246 247 [248] 249 250 ... 372