Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 247 248 [249] 250 251 ... 372

Author Topic: [MODDING] CREATURE & ENTITY QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 685534 times)

UristMcVampire

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING][BLOODSUCKER]
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] CREATURE & ENTITY QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #3720 on: June 14, 2019, 03:55:36 pm »

Is it possible to make a civ that steals people from other civs and converts them?
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Naga/Lamia race

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3721 on: June 14, 2019, 03:57:09 pm »

Of course the game could cap it at a lower value like it does for body size, you would just have to check

Sorry for the derail, but this is the first I've read of this. Do you happen to know what the cap for body size is?

I don't remember off the top of my head, I think it was around 100x the size of the vanilla dragon. I know attributes are capped at 5000. Of course these caps are just when they are read from the raws to the game. You can set a creatures size or attributes to be greater than these values in game with dfhack

Hetsin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3722 on: June 14, 2019, 07:48:37 pm »

Of course the game could cap it at a lower value like it does for body size, you would just have to check

Sorry for the derail, but this is the first I've read of this. Do you happen to know what the cap for body size is?

I don't remember off the top of my head, I think it was around 100x the size of the vanilla dragon. I know attributes are capped at 5000. Of course these caps are just when they are read from the raws to the game. You can set a creatures size or attributes to be greater than these values in game with dfhack

Thanks. It'd probably be the 32 bit integer limit in that case: around 2,147,483,647.

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3723 on: June 14, 2019, 08:17:10 pm »

Thanks. It'd probably be the 32 bit integer limit in that case: around 2,147,483,647.

IIRC it is below that, but again, it's been a long time since I checked. If I get a chance this weekend I'll run some tests

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #3724 on: June 16, 2019, 08:12:25 am »

Which domesticated animals would be most likely to destroy stills and workshops?
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3725 on: June 16, 2019, 08:48:31 am »

Which domesticated animals would be most likely to destroy stills and workshops?

From a realistic perspective? pig (if by destroy you mean make a giant mess of things left out and ruin tools/loose boards ... not deconstruct a stone building). The rest wouldnt

Hetsin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3726 on: June 16, 2019, 01:29:29 pm »

Horse, cow and cat IMO. They probably wouldn't do it intentionally, but they would be capable. Edit: and goats.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 01:32:48 pm by Hetsin »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3727 on: June 17, 2019, 03:02:46 pm »

Horses. Sometimes they get bored, and chew on shit or kick it for fun. Or freak out when you're doing something new or doing a trained task in a new environment, and when they panic they can be extremely dangerous to people and property and can and will throw themselves violently at any obstacle between them and wherever the fuck they think they're going. They couldnt hurt something made of stone, though, besides the risk of knocking blocks over.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Wannabehero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3729 on: June 17, 2019, 03:13:54 pm »

Is it possible to make a civ that steals people from other civs and converts them?

If you are referring to SPOUSE_CONVERTER on a civ creature, I think the answer is no, or at least it used to be back in the day.  I personally haven't tried it in quite some time, but years ago this used to the be the case: if creatures were citizens of a civilization, they didn't perform spouse abductions.

However, child abductions do work and will result in the civ having remembers belonging to abducted races. The relevant tag is BABYSNATCHER in the entity definition.  Be aware that this has a major impact on diplomacy in fortress mode, and complicates trade.  See the wiki on it.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3730 on: June 17, 2019, 04:47:09 pm »

Horses sound kind of dumb

Theyre actually extremely intelligent, in terms of herbivores. They're on par with any pig or dog, I would think.
But they're a prey animal. The instinct that says "everything is trying to eat you!" Is so drilled into their head it requires special training in each circumstance  to avoid confusion turning into panic. Plastic bags, unusually large flocks of turkeys, and wearing a hoodie they've never seen you wear before can trigger a panic response.
There's also the problem regarding the two halves of their brain not communicating with one another. So a task that one side of the brain has learned to do still has to be taught to the other half, I'm not even sure if one half of the brain has access to input from both eyes or both ears, because if you sneak a rope up over their neck from one side where it enters the line of sight of the other eye, sometimes they'll startle a bit. So one half of their brain can be perfectly ok with a situation and the other is missing critical information and that can take it's interpretation from confusion to WTF WHERE DID THAT THING COME FROM ITS ALMOST TOUCHING MY THROAT. And when one panics, the other panics.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

EternalCaveDragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3731 on: June 17, 2019, 06:20:07 pm »

Horses sound kind of dumb

Theyre actually extremely intelligent, in terms of herbivores. They're on par with any pig or dog, I would think.
But they're a prey animal. The instinct that says "everything is trying to eat you!" Is so drilled into their head it requires special training in each circumstance  to avoid confusion turning into panic. Plastic bags, unusually large flocks of turkeys, and wearing a hoodie they've never seen you wear before can trigger a panic response.
There's also the problem regarding the two halves of their brain not communicating with one another. So a task that one side of the brain has learned to do still has to be taught to the other half, I'm not even sure if one half of the brain has access to input from both eyes or both ears, because if you sneak a rope up over their neck from one side where it enters the line of sight of the other eye, sometimes they'll startle a bit. So one half of their brain can be perfectly ok with a situation and the other is missing critical information and that can take it's interpretation from confusion to WTF WHERE DID THAT THING COME FROM ITS ALMOST TOUCHING MY THROAT. And when one panics, the other panics.

You have it pretty correct. Though either side can (in terms of behavior) be in charge on any given day. One day, the horse you're working with can be nearly bomb proof, the next, something's changed that has them on edge. Which is why you always do your best to work with the horse you've got that day as well as drilling with both sets of inputs. And it's not that the two sides of the brain can't communicate, it's that each eye has two different fields of vision for the most part and they can become used to the habit of working only on one side. That's why there's an emphasis on working on both sides of a horse.

UristMcVampire

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING][BLOODSUCKER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3732 on: June 17, 2019, 06:28:10 pm »

If you are referring to SPOUSE_CONVERTER on a civ creature, I think the answer is no, or at least it used to be back in the day.  I personally haven't tried it in quite some time, but years ago this used to the be the case: if creatures were citizens of a civilization, they didn't perform spouse abductions.

However, child abductions do work and will result in the civ having remembers belonging to abducted races. The relevant tag is BABYSNATCHER in the entity definition.  Be aware that this has a major impact on diplomacy in fortress mode, and complicates trade.  See the wiki on it.
I want them to actually transform anyone in their civ into another member of their species.
GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Naga/Lamia race

EternalCaveDragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3733 on: June 17, 2019, 06:36:52 pm »

I want them to actually transform anyone in their civ into another member of their species.

Well, one way you could do it is have them make edible items that transform other species into theirs. If the SPOUSE_CONVERTER doesn't work as it would without the civ status, anyway

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3734 on: June 17, 2019, 06:48:24 pm »

You can do this with an attack symdrome.. though they wont really target their own civ members with it... maybe a symdrome on a dust or vapor or liquid spray though...
« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 06:50:33 pm by brolol.404 »
Pages: 1 ... 247 248 [249] 250 251 ... 372