Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 245 246 [247] 248 249 ... 372

Author Topic: [MODDING] CREATURE & ENTITY QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 685540 times)

Emperor Sheev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] CREATURE & ENTITY QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #3690 on: June 05, 2019, 10:50:44 pm »

I've started to mod in genies, and the current idea (stolen from the Mythical Monsters Mod's leprechauns) is to attach a syndrome to the magic lamp creature's blood that turns it into a genie. However, it doesn't bleed, and I don't really want to go through the work of adding an interior tissue if I don't have to. Here are the raws:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Very cool idea. I would just give it an "attack" though as a can do interaction. Also I dont think you need can learn if you have intelligent

The default push attack is actually pretty effective considering they are made of bronze. Unfortunately, it looks like it will be a pain to get it to bleed, so I'll just add a "magic sauce" tissue layer or something.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3691 on: June 06, 2019, 03:50:42 am »

I've started to mod in genies, and the current idea (stolen from the Mythical Monsters Mod's leprechauns) is to attach a syndrome to the magic lamp creature's blood that turns it into a genie. However, it doesn't bleed, and I don't really want to go through the work of adding an interior tissue if I don't have to. Here are the raws:

Very cool idea. I would just give it an "attack" though as a can do interaction. Also I dont think you need can learn if you have intelligent

The default push attack is actually pretty effective considering they are made of bronze. Unfortunately, it looks like it will be a pain to get it to bleed, so I'll just add a "magic sauce" tissue layer or something.

Iron men have nausous gas, which means that they bleed out quite fast but leave a nasty after-taste after their metal exterior gets pierced, if you wanted a comparison. Maybe the gas could itself transform the genie with a targeted syndrome and all lamps around it.

DerMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3692 on: June 06, 2019, 10:51:17 am »

I need help for make creature. Prototype has shellplates on head and back (upper and lower body) and only scale on arms and legs, but this scale is chitin scale, also creature has bones.

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3693 on: June 08, 2019, 05:49:07 am »

What tags make dwarves similiar in appearance by civ? As in some civs all dwarves have dark skin or blonde hair, etc.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3694 on: June 08, 2019, 07:19:48 am »

What tags make dwarves similiar in appearance by civ? As in some civs all dwarves have dark skin or blonde hair, etc.

Thats a bug, they are meant to have variable appearances like what's possible at the creature raw level but it would appear something has gone wrong in worldgeneration, least for first generation dwarves most noticably.

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3695 on: June 08, 2019, 07:33:20 am »

Thats a bug, they are meant to have variable appearances like what's possible at the creature raw level but it would appear something has gone wrong in worldgeneration, least for first generation dwarves most noticably.

Oh. I thought it was a cool feature that dwarves from the same civilization had similar looks lol

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3696 on: June 08, 2019, 07:47:25 am »

Does a creature need a max age tag or without it will it live forever? Does it need a way to reproduce to spawn and survive worldgen? Does it need a baby/child tag or can the creature only exist as an adult?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3697 on: June 08, 2019, 04:11:09 pm »

They're immortal without the max age, will appear in the wild/as domestic animals without breeding (civilized creatures are more complicated, because of course they are) and do not require a child tag, and in fact will breed without it if they have male and female castes, spawning as an adult on birth (and immediately getting their mother pregnant again if the child is male, so, awkward.)

I need help for make creature. Prototype has shellplates on head and back (upper and lower body) and only scale on arms and legs, but this scale is chitin scale, also creature has bones.

Probably best to start with the normal creature material+tissue plan and then remove the skin tissue from the torso and limbs. You'll then need to add a chitin material and custom tissue named scales and your shell material and tissue, and apply them, individually, as needed to each body part category.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2019, 04:45:09 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

EternalCaveDragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3698 on: June 08, 2019, 07:21:53 pm »

I'm fairly certain that this was answered earlier in the thread, but, how does one control a civ's access to metal? Is the reaction to smelt metal from ore hardcoded which means it's impossible to control what metals they smelt aside from pig iron, steel, and adamantine? I'm assuming not having access to a mining tool can limit this, but I'm wanting to create a mod with a setting that has very limited metalsmithing and I'm wondering if this isn't possible aside from completely removing metals other than the ones I want from the game raws.

In addition to this, is the 'melt metal object' job similarly hardcoded in? This setting I have in mind includes a faction of primitive goblins that is after the secrets of metalsmithing and is intended to gain it after defeating a primitive (compared to vanilla) dwarven faction with the metalsmithing ability and melting their gear down and this is why I ask this. The other factions are stone age humans which I have something of an idea on how to implement their tech within the constraints of the game.

EDIT: In a less convoluted and wordy manner, I'm wondering what exactly controls an entity's access to metal. And whether it's possible to create a sort of "metal thief" civ that can gain its use via defeating a civ with metal access. As difficult as that would be without having your own metal weapons and armor.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 01:56:09 am by EternalCaveDragon »

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3699 on: June 09, 2019, 05:55:36 am »

I'm fairlyI'm wondering what exactly controls an entity's access to metal.

I was told that it is based solely on the reaction to create it regardless of having a pick or not.

I'm fairlyAnd whether it's possible to create a sort of "metal thief" civ that can gain its use via defeating a civ with metal access.

I doubt it. I dont there is a way to add reaction tags to entity during gameplay and I dont thinj there is a way to have a civ defeat condition trigger anything

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3700 on: June 09, 2019, 05:58:17 am »

They're immortal without the max age, will appear in the wild/as domestic animals without breeding (civilized creatures are more complicated, because of course they are) and do not require a child tag, and in fact will breed without it if they have male and female castes, spawning as an adult on birth (and immediately getting their mother pregnant again if the child is male, so, awkward.)

Thanks. This is just what I was going for. Immortal creature that doesn't breed

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #3701 on: June 09, 2019, 11:32:39 am »

I'm fairly certain that this was answered earlier in the thread, but, how does one control a civ's access to metal?
In addition to this, is the 'melt metal object' job similarly hardcoded in?
EDIT: In a less convoluted and wordy manner, I'm wondering what exactly controls an entity's access to metal.
To let elves make metal weapons,
You'll have to add METAL_PREF, STONE_PREF and [DIGGER:ITEM_WEAPON_PICK].
and FURNACE_OPERATOR job.

Yup, melt metal things is a hardcoded reaction.
For examples of improved custom wood and rock weapons, see OldGenesis raws: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14371
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

EternalCaveDragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3702 on: June 09, 2019, 12:03:41 pm »

I'm fairly certain that this was answered earlier in the thread, but, how does one control a civ's access to metal?
In addition to this, is the 'melt metal object' job similarly hardcoded in?
EDIT: In a less convoluted and wordy manner, I'm wondering what exactly controls an entity's access to metal.
To let elves make metal weapons,
You'll have to add METAL_PREF, STONE_PREF and [DIGGER:ITEM_WEAPON_PICK].
and FURNACE_OPERATOR job.

Yup, melt metal things is a hardcoded reaction.
For examples of improved custom wood and rock weapons, see OldGenesis raws: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14371

Aha, many thanks!  :D

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3703 on: June 11, 2019, 07:12:18 am »

Is it possible to have a creature play with toys like children? Is it possible to have that give them a positive thought?

Also is it possible to have clothing give the creature a positive thought?

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #3704 on: June 11, 2019, 07:49:16 am »

Is it possible to have a creature play with toys like children? Is it possible to have that give them a positive thought?
Also is it possible to have clothing give the creature a positive thought?
As far as I know, "no" on all three questions. A citizen will get some positives from putting on nice clothes, a pet will not put on clothes. No dog raincoats.

a talking and can_learn pet like a Gremlin that petitions to become a citizen:
I don't actually know, but I think EXOTIC_PET might do what you want. I'd take a look a Gremlins, since they are "animals" that can be trained, but still petition to become citizens, at which time they can perform any job (at least using DT) and wear armor (if you mod them to be as large as kobolds, or you'll be unable to make armor/clothes small enough for them to wear). I've seen comments on my bug reports regarding Gremlins that animal people modded to have the EXOTIC_PET tag are subject to the same problems as Gremlins.
If you do use that path, it's useful to know that retraining Gremlins that have been accepted as full citizens is a royal pain, as retraining is very low on the Gremlin priority list. I've worked around that by using DFHack's gui/gm-editor to make my Gremlins fully tame (as there's no way to remove the pet thing without breaking the capture->...citizen chain, and make them complete citizens).

Consider a self-interaction that causes something-something on your pet, and call the interaction "plays with toys".
« Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 07:54:41 am by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884
Pages: 1 ... 245 246 [247] 248 249 ... 372