Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 239 240 [241] 242 243 ... 372

Author Topic: [MODDING] CREATURE & ENTITY QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 685416 times)

Wannabehero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] CREATURE & ENTITY QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #3600 on: May 28, 2019, 01:46:12 pm »

Why is the hair color, skin color and eye color not showing up in the description?

Spoiler: description (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: code (click to show/hide)

anyone have any idea with this one?

I thought this would be enough:

Code: [Select]
[SELECT_CASTE:ALL]
[SET_TL_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:ALL:HAIR]
[TL_COLOR_MODIFIER::BLACK:1:GRAY:1:WHITE:1:COPPER:1:LIGHT_BROWN:1:BRONZE:1:PALE_BROWN:1:BROWN:1:OCHRE:1:SEPIA:1:DARK_BROWN:1:RAW_UMBER:1]
[TLCM_NOUN:hair:SINGULAR]
[SET_TL_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:ALL:SKIN]
[TL_COLOR_MODIFIER::BLACK:1:GRAY:1]
[TLCM_NOUN:skin:SINGULAR]
[SET_TL_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:EYE:EYE]
[TL_COLOR_MODIFIER::BLACK:1:GRAY:1:WHITE:1:RED:1:SCARLET:1:ORANGE:1:AMBER:1:SAFFRON:1:GOLD:1:YELLOW:1]
[TLCM_NOUN:eyes:PLURAL]

You have a typo in the TL_COLOR_MODIFIER expressions.  Looks like it showed up in your first one, and got copy/pasted into the all the following.

In the TL_COLOR_MODIFIER expression, you have two (2) colons after the tag, and there should only be one.  See below

Code: [Select]
Correct:
[TL_COLOR_MODIFIER:BLACK:1]

In-correct (what is in your code currently):
[TL_COLOR_MODIFIER::BLACK:1]

Removing those extra colons should fix it right up.

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3601 on: May 28, 2019, 02:36:39 pm »

Oh wow awesome thanks! :) I'm suprised that didnt show up in my errorlog.

DerMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3602 on: May 28, 2019, 03:26:12 pm »

How work COMMON, UNCOMMON, RARE and FORCED?

Wannabehero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3603 on: May 28, 2019, 04:48:37 pm »

How work COMMON, UNCOMMON, RARE and FORCED?

DerMeister, are you referring to items such as ARMOR, SHOES, etc. in the entity file?

I'm assuming you are based on context. Those values (COMMON, UNCOMMON, RARE, and FORCED) are the rarity of the item for an given civilization of that entity. The rarity value assigns chances for those items to show up being worn by migrants (in the case of clothing), as parts of armor by invaders, and I think also in the trade goods of merchants.

I know that it also used to influence the chance that your civilization will know how to make the item (have it be available to craft). This was the case years ago, and I don't know if that behavior has changed or not.  The following was true back then, and might still be now, I'm not 100% sure:

MAY OR MAY-NOT STILL BE TRUE, I'M A BIT OUTDATED:

FORCED means that the particular item will always be available to every civilization of that entity (in every game the civilization will know how to make that item), and it will be treated as common for the sake of being worn.

COMMON means that the item will have a very high chance of being known by the civilization, but not guaranteed. Every now and then you might have a civilization that doesn't know how to make that item. If the civ doesn't know how to make it, you won't be able to craft it in Fortress mode, and it will be treated as (Foreign) in the equipment screen. Common items are also the most likely to be worn by randomly equipped individuals.

UNCOMMON is, naturally, less common than common, but there is still a decent chance that the civ might know how to make the item. If known, they are worn less commonly.

RARE means there is a very small chance, but still a chance, that the civ might know how to make the item. Very rarely someone from that civ might show up wearing that item (if the civ knows how to make it).

An outlier behavior of clothing and armor was that each civilization is guaranteed to have a minimum of one item of clothing that can be worn on each body part (upper body, lower body, head, hands, feet) as long as at least one possibility is specified in the entity file.  So if you only had one SHOES item defined for the entity, and it was marked with a RARE rarity, it would default to always being available to the entity every game, because it was the only foot clothing option.

Hope that helps.

DerMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3604 on: May 29, 2019, 05:43:10 pm »

How milk sapient creatures? Like ogress in goblin fortress.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3605 on: May 29, 2019, 11:25:57 pm »

Usually cant, must be at best slow_learner, preferably not intelligent at all.

Can work around this issue by making a stupid caste that has no learning ability whatsoever.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3606 on: May 30, 2019, 02:24:53 am »

Can work around this issue by making a stupid caste that has no learning ability whatsoever.

Totally can if they are fortress livestock, its just gathering them together which is difficult as it needs to usually be done by burrowing trolls/sentient livestock together. The technical aspect is to put the 'milk' onto the female creature, which is almost a identical process to how cows yield milk in the domestic.txt folder, the same way trolls have fur in creature_standard.txt which is by the additional defining texts.

Code: ("cow example") [Select]
[CASTE:FEMALE]
[FEMALE]
[MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:MILK:MILK_TEMPLATE]
[STATE_NAME:ALL_SOLID:frozen cow's milk]
[STATE_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:frozen cow's milk]
[STATE_NAME:LIQUID:cow's milk]
[STATE_ADJ:LIQUID:cow's milk]
[STATE_NAME:GAS:boiling cow's milk]
[STATE_ADJ:GAS:boiling cow's milk]
[PREFIX:NONE]
[MILKABLE:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:MILK:20000] //milking cooldown
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:CHEESE:CREATURE_CHEESE_TEMPLATE]
[STATE_NAME:SOLID:cow cheese]
[STATE_ADJ:SOLID:cow cheese]
[STATE_NAME:SOLID_POWDER:cow cheese powder]
[STATE_ADJ:SOLID_POWDER:cow cheese powder]
[STATE_NAME:LIQUID:melted cow cheese]
[STATE_ADJ:LIQUID:melted cow cheese]
[STATE_NAME:GAS:boiling cow cheese]
[STATE_ADJ:GAS:boiling cow cheese]

Its not clean or pretty, mindless animals are much better and easier to manage. Using smart & animal castes on the same creature to differentiate definitely helps like Eric says.

DerMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3607 on: May 30, 2019, 04:14:20 am »

Totally can if they are fortress livestock, its just gathering them together which is difficult as it needs to usually be done by burrowing trolls/sentient livestock together. The technical aspect is to put the 'milk' onto the female creature, which is almost a identical process to how cows yield milk in the domestic.txt folder, the same way trolls have fur in creature_standard.txt which is by the additional defining texts.

[FEMALE]
[MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE]

Its not clean or pretty, mindless animals are much better and easier to manage. Using smart & animal castes on the same creature to differentiate definitely helps like Eric says.
So milkable servant must be mute and slow learner? I understand why my harpy was not milkable.

DerMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3608 on: May 30, 2019, 03:02:14 pm »

[FEMALE]
[MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE]

I add milk to ogress. But I only can embark with ogress milk and cannot milk ogress in fortress.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3609 on: May 30, 2019, 05:34:24 pm »

Well, try and make sure nobody has any work to do, so the ogresses are idle?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

DerMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3610 on: May 30, 2019, 06:11:05 pm »

Well, try and make sure nobody has any work to do, so the ogresses are idle?
Idle?

EternalCaveDragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3611 on: May 30, 2019, 06:16:48 pm »

Idle?

Basically the short version of nobody involved is doing a job. Whether or not slow learners like trolls and ogres can do jobs in a modded fortress is something I don't know for sure.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3612 on: May 30, 2019, 06:22:49 pm »

Idle?

Basically the short version of nobody involved is doing a job. Whether or not slow learners like trolls and ogres can do jobs in a modded fortress is something I don't know for sure.

Burrows restrict their actions, and food drink and bedding can be provided for them there while the milkers and shearers work. Remember to bring buckets and use a farmers workshop.

EternalCaveDragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3613 on: May 30, 2019, 06:27:25 pm »

Burrows restrict their actions, and food drink and bedding can be provided for them there while the milkers and shearers work. Remember to bring buckets and use a farmers workshop.

Huh, neat.  :D

DerMeister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3614 on: May 30, 2019, 07:36:37 pm »

I use trolls in my mod normal. In vanilla they only can haul items, be performer and recruit in squad, but with DFhack I can toggle labors for trolls and use they as normal goblins. But trolls also are shearable. I shear trolls even by troll shearer. But when I make milkable ogress or harpy, they cannot be milked in fortress.
Pages: 1 ... 239 240 [241] 242 243 ... 372