Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 218 219 [220] 221 222 ... 372

Author Topic: [MODDING] CREATURE & ENTITY QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 685819 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] CREATURE & ENTITY QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #3285 on: September 10, 2018, 11:23:00 am »

Oh i see. Thats really quite ingenious use of the entity positions code!

My only concern is that this mandates a minimum population in these sites. For instance isnt the non-historical population generated at a site supposed to be directly tied to the number of historical figures there? But by culling these noble positions they might not actually get filled or the persons filling them wont be tracked and wont have marriages and families that contribute to the population like you wanted. So like, you could end up with a hillock/hamlet having a minimum population of ~200 (including all your nobles and non-historical figures) immediately after founding, right?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #3286 on: September 10, 2018, 01:33:32 pm »

So this would be what would be needed as a basis

Code: [Select]
[ENTITY:MOUNTAIN]
[SITE_CONTROLLABLE]
[ALL_MAIN_POPS_CONTROLLABLE]
[CREATURE:DWARF]
[CREATURE:ELF]
[CREATURE:HUMAN]

then of course the "positions" that would make up of the Groups,

However I haven't been able to test this correctly. Last time I tried this was "brood mothers" that would give birth to a lot of kids, however worldgen seems to slap on the "1 kid at a time" deal (haven't really dug in to see if there was twins or triplets but either way it forces a 1 birth only) so finding that out I moved on to other things to test/work on but Multi-cultural civs were on my to do list but not very high.

So Eric you might be right, but I can't prove it as true or false. At this junction

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3287 on: September 10, 2018, 01:56:42 pm »

I think I see what you're talking about now, I think I'll give it a shot and see what happens.

[edit]
okay, so here's what I did...

the entity has these:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

But when I generate a world for ~100 years it still gives me sites like this:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So its still only generating one race occupying the site/civ at first. foreigners do end up in the appropriate positions if there are any. I generated a couple of these worlds, one of them had 14/15 dwarven positions filled in a goblin civ, but still no other non-historical dwarf population. total of 14 dwarves, all historical, all geomancers.
So it doesnt appear to be generating a "multicultural" civ from the get-go like I'd hoped. Did I miss something, or are there other ideas?

I guess I could try making any other races forbidden on top of only allowing certain ones for the entity positions, but I suspect they'd just be left empty since there wouldnt be those desired populations anyway.

If worldgen goes on longer and has more wars all the positions will eventually be filled in by refugees/prisoners of war, I reckon, but I'd expect like at least a few non-historical pops in addition, and that doesnt seem to happen. Then again this is an isolationist, non-aggressive civ I'm working with, so they're rarely getting involved in wars. If I stuck this in a few entities that are regularly at war with one another I bet it would fill in a lot quicker, but then there'd be no point in having these entity positions, because they'd have large conquered/conquering populations regardless just by virtue of going to war frequently.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 02:17:28 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3288 on: September 10, 2018, 02:25:27 pm »

Hmm I wonder if using the ANIMAL tag to make the races used as SIEGE animals (not pets, but just for sieges) would that be enough to "force" them into all populations as some sort of common_domestic warbeast

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #3289 on: September 10, 2018, 04:15:31 pm »

They just get stuck in "pet limbo" if you add them via pet tokens, even if the only token is to use them as war animals - worldgen-wise they're treated as animal populations of that civ and don't get notable individuals appearing within their civ. It'd honestly require Toady to make another token for it, i.e ALLIED_RACE:X to have it work properly without a bunch of workarounds.

There's some weird "switch" if you go to that civ's sites in adventure mode, though. At first those intelligent creatures will be spawned where the livestock usually spawns, but I've noticed that, if you come back to that site eventually, the "switch" occurs when the game realizes "oh wait, these aren't actually pets, they're intelligent creatures who should be citizens" and they get teleported to the houses where the game normally spawns the actual citizens - got lucky a few times as well when the game would also spawn soldiers of those races that were ready to be recruited at a mead hall.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #3290 on: September 11, 2018, 10:59:06 pm »

How do I get rid of everything's teeth? I'm sick of seeing that stuff splattered all over my fortress's lawn.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3291 on: September 11, 2018, 11:15:27 pm »

change the bodyplan for teeth to just be one body part or remove SOCKETED <- this is what on break makes it explode out

Or can make each tooth their own (aka don't use NUMBER)

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #3292 on: September 12, 2018, 12:03:09 am »

change the bodyplan for teeth to just be one body part or remove SOCKETED <- this is what on break makes it explode out

Or can make each tooth their own (aka don't use NUMBER)

Removing socketed is a great way to implement this fix. I will try this out and see how it goes.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

murphieschecker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3293 on: September 12, 2018, 06:03:58 am »

I have earlier mentioned my issue of a custom entity not appearing, despite the race running fine in arena and another custom entity working fine, and am quite eager to receive some suggestions about what the problem might be. I asked what is required for an entity to work and what prevents it so that there could be a page to tell any modding novices so they can be confident about their early mods. Please can someone help with this

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3294 on: September 12, 2018, 06:08:07 am »

Usually what you're going to be doing is copying another entity anyway. I'm a modding expert and couldn't off the top of my head tell you what is required.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #3295 on: September 12, 2018, 08:54:49 am »

How do I get rid of everything's teeth? I'm sick of seeing that stuff splattered all over my fortress's lawn.
Yesterday I gave my current raws' tooth material
[EDIBLE_VERMIN] --let teeth decay from piles. Rats steal them.
so teeth will vanish.
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3296 on: September 12, 2018, 09:02:49 am »

so teeth will vanish.

Ah the infamous tooth decay

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3297 on: September 12, 2018, 12:44:38 pm »

so teeth will vanish.

That's goddamn terrifying.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Sver

• Bay Watcher
  • An army marches on its oiling and waxing
    • View Profile
« Reply #3298 on: September 12, 2018, 01:04:33 pm »

so teeth will vanish.

That is actually a great idea. Mind if I borrow it?
DF Combat Reworked
No overpowered force transfer, no easy life without a kidney, more functional variety among the weapons and other improvements.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3299 on: September 12, 2018, 01:17:25 pm »

I have earlier mentioned my issue of a custom entity not appearing, despite the race running fine in arena and another custom entity working fine, and am quite eager to receive some suggestions about what the problem might be. I asked what is required for an entity to work and what prevents it so that there could be a page to tell any modding novices so they can be confident about their early mods. Please can someone help with this

Post dem raws.

If it was me I would exhaustively compare the one that works to the one that does not. Also keep in mind if you have a lot of unique entities you might have to raise the civ cap in worldgen to get them all to generate.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0
Pages: 1 ... 218 219 [220] 221 222 ... 372