Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 201 202 [203] 204 205 ... 372

Author Topic: [MODDING] CREATURE & ENTITY QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 685906 times)

Just Some Guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] CREATURE & ENTITY QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #3030 on: January 11, 2018, 01:01:35 am »

So I'm trying to mod in a race of Romanesque fish men, but no matter what I do, they won't show up in game. I've made sure I've got the little creature_whatever, I've changed their token from FISHMAN to EISNAN ("righteous" in their language- they're not the most humble of fellows), i've even moved it to creature_standard. They still don't show up. I'm at a complete loss. Here are the raws

Custom creature variation (same file as default CVs)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The buggers themselves
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3031 on: January 11, 2018, 01:11:55 am »

Don't forget [OBJECT:CREATURE] at the top of your creature file. Also copy_tags_from requires files be in alphabetical order. I forget how that works exactly. Source file needs to be before the file which calls it? Something like that.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 01:24:45 am by Shonai_Dweller »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3032 on: January 11, 2018, 02:33:21 am »

Thats exactly right: the game reads the files in alphabetical order from beginning to end of the file, and variations on a creature must be made at some point after the creature is defined. When i did that i used a file that started with creature_xwhatever so that it would be read last.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3033 on: January 11, 2018, 04:07:07 am »

Thats exactly right: the game reads the files in alphabetical order from beginning to end of the file, and variations on a creature must be made at some point after the creature is defined. When i did that i used a file that started with creature_xwhatever so that it would be read last.
Yeah, looking at my files that's exactly what I've done too.

Brutaka001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3034 on: January 13, 2018, 08:12:34 am »

Since dwarves have the token [ALCOHOL_DEPENDANT], isthere a way to add a similar token? For example, I want to make my civ dependant on brains. Though would be able to eat other meats but Brains would be a staple like dwarves with alcohol. Would I have to make a new item that comes from corpses like a Fresh_Brain or something?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3035 on: January 13, 2018, 11:25:38 am »

It is not possible to add new tokens.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #3036 on: January 13, 2018, 11:44:11 am »

Since dwarves have the token [ALCOHOL_DEPENDANT], is there a way to add a similar token? For example, I want to make my civ dependant on brains. Though would be able to eat other meats but Brains would be a staple like dwarves with alcohol. Would I have to make a new item that comes from corpses like a Fresh_Brain or something?
How about a workshop reaction: brain-meat into a super rare plant's alcohol, "pickled brains" or "fresh brains". Then they enjoy that alcohol. And their civ doesn't have a still for other alcohol making.
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #3037 on: January 13, 2018, 12:55:57 pm »

Since dwarves have the token [ALCOHOL_DEPENDANT], is there a way to add a similar token? For example, I want to make my civ dependant on brains. Though would be able to eat other meats but Brains would be a staple like dwarves with alcohol. Would I have to make a new item that comes from corpses like a Fresh_Brain or something?
How about a workshop reaction: brain-meat into a super rare plant's alcohol, "pickled brains" or "fresh brains". Then they enjoy that alcohol. And their civ doesn't have a still for other alcohol making.
Think you'd have to add a reaction class to the brain material as well, since IIRC brain material doesn't have a unique identifier (butchered brains use the MEAT item type).

Question: how much starting population would I want to give a race to have their very first site be a town and not a hamlet?

Brutaka001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3038 on: January 13, 2018, 03:44:05 pm »

Could make a "brain juicer" that uses only brain matter to kinda distill a special booze for them. In d&d lore, which is my main source of Illithid information since mind flayer's themselves are property of WoTC, there is an item called "Illithid Brine" that works exactly as you describe. The only catch is that anyone that isn't an Illithid becomes totally sick for 24 hours. Is there a way to put that in as well without making the Illithids sick to it?

Brutaka001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3039 on: January 13, 2018, 04:22:08 pm »

So on the topic of my Illithids. It is described and generally accepted that Illithids "reproduce" through the use of their own tadpoles, which i dub Tadpithids, being introduced to a hosts brain and then consuming it and thus replacing it. That obviously cannot be done to those specifics on DF. It has been shown, in the Hivemind wasps races for a previous edition of Masterwork, that a special pet can latch onto and bite a prisoner, passing on a syndrome that transforms it after a set time into a member of that civ.

Illithids breed through parthenogenesis (basically a natural form of cloning), and then let that Tadpithid mature for a time of 10 years and then introduces it to a bound host to transform into an Illithid over a week's time. Obviously that time will be reduced to maybe a year as a Tadpithid.

I read an ancient post somewhere, from 2014 i think, that I could do this with scripts. Give the gender-less Illithids a self-targeted reaction that has a wait time (that i'll set to once every 5 years) which triggers the script "SyndromeTrigger," and then runs "spawnunit EXAMPLE_ID caste-number name" which i would make as my Tadpithids. Would that work with the current edition
still?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 04:23:58 pm by Brutaka001 »

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #3040 on: January 13, 2018, 06:58:55 pm »

Ah, people have already modded in Illithid / mind flayer empire, and it is included in Deon & mine's OldGenesis major mod.
*googles* 2010 by D_E.
2010's Genesis 3.xx wiki: http://df-genesis.wikidot.com/illithid

they siege very rarely / late in current OldGenesis.
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Brutaka001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3041 on: January 13, 2018, 07:25:35 pm »

Yea but where that version was a BBEG with wings and antennae, I was making more as a playable race more akin to traditional D&D.

Toxicshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • github
« Reply #3042 on: January 13, 2018, 08:25:31 pm »

Could make a "brain juicer" that uses only brain matter to kinda distill a special booze for them. In d&d lore, which is my main source of Illithid information since mind flayer's themselves are property of WoTC, there is an item called "Illithid Brine" that works exactly as you describe. The only catch is that anyone that isn't an Illithid becomes totally sick for 24 hours. Is there a way to put that in as well without making the Illithids sick to it?
Sure, take a look at syndromes on the wiki first, then open up plant_standard.txt, find the line "[PLANT:BULB_KOBOLD]", and look at the syndrome attached to that. It's a good example of a simple syndrome, and it is close to your needs, just needs a few tweaks. Copy/paste it over to your brain material, take a look at all the tags and check out what they mean on the wiki, and then edit away :) you can do it, syndromes might seem intimidating at first but the wiki is thorough and can walk you through it.

Spoiler: hint (click to show/hide)
'ere the Chias get hungry...

Brutaka001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3043 on: January 14, 2018, 02:52:18 pm »

So with this, i could create an item that all humanoid creatures give when butchered. This item could be "pressed" or "juiced" in a custom workshop specifically for this that gives out an alcohol drink and with the [SYN_IMMUNE_CREATURE] token I can make my Illithids immune to the mentioned syndrome while still getting good feelings because I made them [ALCOHOL_DEPENDANT] and restricted the use of other drinks. That would effectively, in flavor anyway, make them Brain dependant. Maybe I can create multiple different drinks that each do the same thing, but with different names so they don't get tired of drinking the same thing.

But would that all work in theory?

Toxicshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • github
« Reply #3044 on: January 14, 2018, 06:42:00 pm »

So with this, i could create an item that all humanoid creatures give when butchered. This item could be "pressed" or "juiced" in a custom workshop specifically for this that gives out an alcohol drink and with the [SYN_IMMUNE_CREATURE] token I can make my Illithids immune to the mentioned syndrome while still getting good feelings because I made them [ALCOHOL_DEPENDANT] and restricted the use of other drinks. That would effectively, in flavor anyway, make them Brain dependant. Maybe I can create multiple different drinks that each do the same thing, but with different names so they don't get tired of drinking the same thing.

But would that all work in theory?
Anything works "in theory" ;) haha but yes, you're getting it! The best way to learn though is to try it out :)

I tried doing some testing with a custom reaction to see if I could accept only brains. Surprisingly, I've never found a need to use a specific bodypart in a reagent. The reaction's reagent was set up similar to this:
Code: [Select]
[REAGENT:A:1:CORPSEPIECE:NONE:NONE:NONE][USE_BODY_COMPONENT][UNROTTEN]
where the NONEs are, I tried using BRAIN_TEMPLATE as the material (thinking, could material templates be used as a material?) however that didn't work, it accepts any body part (as I figured it would if it didn't only take brains). I tried messing with the item subtype as well but I couldn't get it to work. Perhaps I'm just missing something, so I figured I'd post this for reference and if anybody knows about using body parts in reactions, let us know!
'ere the Chias get hungry...
Pages: 1 ... 201 202 [203] 204 205 ... 372