Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 172 173 [174] 175 176 ... 372

Author Topic: [MODDING] CREATURE & ENTITY QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 686470 times)

Jakob

• Bay Watcher
  • !!FABULOUS!!
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] CREATURE & ENTITY QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #2595 on: May 07, 2017, 12:44:26 pm »

Anyone have any sick strats to make natural creatures more dangerous without giving them weird attacks like firebreath or doubling their size.

I want my Dire Penguins to ruin lives.
Build a replica of the Krusty Krab around the creature, then lock prisoners customers inside it so that the sponge can mutilate them take their order.

Legendary Marksdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Praying for Nakéen to stay this time (copium)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2596 on: May 07, 2017, 01:27:39 pm »

I'd say give their bite a deadly poison, but that would only work for fortress mode as syndromes are 72 times slower in adventure mode (for some reason).

Jakob

• Bay Watcher
  • !!FABULOUS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2597 on: May 07, 2017, 01:33:24 pm »

Like I said I'm trying to find ways about this without adding new magical attacks or effects for those
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 02:03:22 pm by Jakob »
Build a replica of the Krusty Krab around the creature, then lock prisoners customers inside it so that the sponge can mutilate them take their order.

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2598 on: May 07, 2017, 02:04:04 pm »

GENERAL_MATERIAL_FORCE_MULTIPLIER for preferred level of invincibility, then ATTACK_FORCE_MULTIPLIER adjustments to its attacks for preferred level of "just hits harder". Look them up on the creature token wiki list for syntax.

D_E

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2599 on: May 07, 2017, 02:28:42 pm »

Also NATURAL_SKILL in its attack skills/dodging, so that it's able to hit/dodge attacks from skilled soldiers.  You may also want to give it skill in wrestling, since otherwise very tough creatures can still be strangled.

...My own experiences suggest that world gen combat ONLY compares size, btw.  Or at least, weights it unrealistically heavily compared to skill, material strength, and force multipliers.  So just be aware that world gen is going to have a pretty low opinion of dire penguins, no matter what you do.
Mods I've done:
Zelda mod-mod, Beta in the Wild DF 47.04
Illithid Empire mod DF 31.25 (update canceled)
Spotter's Guide to Illithids (Genesis mod-mod) genesis 3.19a4 (update canceled)

Jakob

• Bay Watcher
  • !!FABULOUS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2600 on: May 07, 2017, 02:42:13 pm »

Thanks for the help guys. My Dire Penguins are properly descending on stray Dwarves and leaving bones behind now.

Two new questions:

1. I know Goblins enslave Ogres thanks to their slow learning and they only get Beak Dogs because they're the only ones with the training evil token, is there any other way to limit a creature's training? I made a civilization and only want them to be able to have War Dire Penguins, but I'm drawing blanks on how to fanangle that one. Is it possible?

2. Is it possible for a civilization to survive with the tundra and the arctic as their starting location? My Frostlings appear fine in arena and adventure mode but their civilizations never seem to form.

Edit: Got the Frostlings to appear but they always just join up with Humans and live with them, I have yet to get an independent civilization to arise.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 03:34:02 pm by Jakob »

Rethi-Eli

• Bay Watcher
  • I came for the LNP, I stayed for the RTDs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2601 on: May 07, 2017, 05:39:13 pm »

Thanks for the help guys. My Dire Penguins are properly descending on stray Dwarves and leaving bones behind now.

Two new questions:

1. I know Goblins enslave Ogres thanks to their slow learning and they only get Beak Dogs because they're the only ones with the training evil token, is there any other way to limit a creature's training? I made a civilization and only want them to be able to have War Dire Penguins, but I'm drawing blanks on how to fanangle that one. Is it possible?

2. Is it possible for a civilization to survive with the tundra and the arctic as their starting location? My Frostlings appear fine in arena and adventure mode but their civilizations never seem to form.

Edit: Got the Frostlings to appear but they always just join up with Humans and live with them, I have yet to get an independent civilization to arise.
My best guess is that your Frostlings incurred the wrath of the dire penguins  :P
In the end, the winner is the one with the most snake venom.

Ryga_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2602 on: May 08, 2017, 05:51:31 pm »

-snip-

wrong questions thread
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 06:02:27 pm by Ryga_ »

Legendary Marksdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2603 on: May 09, 2017, 12:52:10 pm »

Two new questions:

1) If you want them to have war penguins, your dire penguins need [TRAINABLE_WAR], [EVIL], and your frostlings need to have [USE_EVIL_ANIMALS].  If you want them to ONLY have these, don't give them any other pet related tags.

2) The problem isn't the survival of your civ, it actually probably comes from the tags you gave them. If they have [OUTDOOR_WOOD] or [OUTDOOR_FARMING] you need to give them [INDOOR_WOOD] and [INDOOR_FARMING] as there are no outside trees or plants in glacier biomes and thus the worldgen will reject any world where they spawned in such biomes. However if they only have tundra/taiga, it should be fine.

Jakob

• Bay Watcher
  • !!FABULOUS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2604 on: May 10, 2017, 10:44:37 am »

1) If you want them to have war penguins, your dire penguins need [TRAINABLE_WAR], [EVIL], and your frostlings need to have [USE_EVIL_ANIMALS].  If you want them to ONLY have these, don't give them any other pet related tags.

2) The problem isn't the survival of your civ, it actually probably comes from the tags you gave them. If they have [OUTDOOR_WOOD] or [OUTDOOR_FARMING] you need to give them [INDOOR_WOOD] and [INDOOR_FARMING] as there are no outside trees or plants in glacier biomes and thus the worldgen will reject any world where they spawned in such biomes. However if they only have tundra/taiga, it should be fine.
That did it! Thank you so much!

Legendary Marksdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2605 on: May 15, 2017, 11:09:36 am »

Hey so, I made a desert civ for my mod but they won't spawn in worldgen and trying to look at their description in the arena makes the game crash. I can't figure out what's wrong with them. Here are all the raws related to them (i put them all next to eachother so it's easier to find out whats wrong but they're actually each in the right file) :

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EDIT: Ok, I found a typo, i had OUTDOOR_FAMING instead of OUTDOOR_FARMING. Now they spawn in worldgen, but they still cause crashes when I try to look at their desc in the arena or sometimes when trying to create a Suntouched adventurer...

EDIT 2: Troubleshooted all issues thanks to the errorlog, so nevermind this
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 03:50:08 pm by Legendary Marksdorf »

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2606 on: May 15, 2017, 03:25:24 pm »

Hey so, I made a desert civ for my mod but they won't spawn in worldgen and trying to look at their description in the arena makes the game crash. I can't figure out what's wrong with them. Here are all the raws related to them (i put them all next to eachother so it's easier to find out whats wrong but they're actually each in the right file) :

EDIT: Ok, I found a typo, i had OUTDOOR_FAMING instead of OUTDOOR_FARMING. Now they spawn in worldgen, but they still cause crashes when I try to look at their desc in the arena or sometimes when trying to create a Suntouched adventurer...

I can't see anything immediately wrong. Is there anything in the error file? Crashes when viewing are typically caused by [DESCRIPTION] being in both the creature and the caste (although this may have been fixed in a more recent DF version) or troubles with the BODY.

Legendary Marksdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2607 on: May 15, 2017, 04:22:25 pm »

Okay, after a lot of fixing, these errors remain :

Code: [Select]
*** Error(s) found in the file "raw/objects/creature_standard.txt"
SUNTOUCHED Color Mod Ending With (BURNT_UMBER,1) Was Not Used
*** Error(s) finalizing the creature SUNTOUCHED
undefined local creature material set to default: SUNTOUCHED MUSCLE
undefined local creature material set to default: SUNTOUCHED FAT
undefined local creature material set to default: SUNTOUCHED SKIN

No matter how I try, I can't seem to fix these. Here are the related raws :

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2608 on: May 15, 2017, 04:29:10 pm »

Are all of your files getting recognized? The game has a really strict naming convention for raw filenames.

Code: [Select]
objects/language_*.txt
objects/descriptor_shape_*.txt
objects/descriptor_color_*.txt
objects/descriptor_pattern_*.txt
objects/material_template_*.txt
objects/inorganic_*.txt
objects/plant_*.txt
objects/tissue_template_*.txt
objects/item_*.txt
objects/building_*.txt
objects/b_detail_plan_*.txt
objects/body_*.txt
objects/c_variation_*.txt
objects/creature_*.txt
objects/entity_*.txt
objects/reaction_*.txt
objects/interaction_*.txt

Roses

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2609 on: May 15, 2017, 04:39:19 pm »

Okay, after a lot of fixing, these errors remain :

Your tissue templates reference SKIN, MUSCLE, and FAT. You will either need to change you BODY_DETAIL_PLAN or your TISSUE_TEMPLATEs
Pages: 1 ... 172 173 [174] 175 176 ... 372